Neoprene under suit-second batch?

Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch?

No hurry here Zam...whatever works best for you I'm all good with!

Todd

Whew, ok, we have had a settlement and agreed to pay me for the extra yard of lycra for you all! So, a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I am happy and you guys are getting an extra 1 yard of lycra from my stash. Whoohoo!! When I recieve the credit to my credit card, I will feel more relieved. But I will at least be able to rest well these next few nights.

From
    Northern California

Thanks so much! Lycra to do a proper facing was my main concern (I'm the type that nit picks over finishing details).

You don't need facing. You'd already be wearing a tricot material with a leotard underneath and a leather vest on top. Believe me, all you would need is just trim if you want a finished look on the edges. I will post a pic on the "sewing with neoprene" thread as soon as I can so that you will see what I mean. I will turn my costume inside out so you can see how you don't need facing pieces made of lycra.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Mar 10, 2007 at 2:37 PM.

From
    Northern California

Well, trim put on the inner edges of a garment is usually called a facing So whatever you want to call it - I just wanted the spare lycra to finish off the edges as you had mentioned before.

Kay_Dee said: View Post
    Well, trim put on the inner edges of a garment is usually called a facing So whatever you want to call it - I just wanted the spare lycra to finish off the edges as you had mentioned before.
    I thought that facing is only on the inner edge "facing the body". Kinda like http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_c/C-233.pdf
    Maybe, there are different ways to sew facings, but I thought the "normal" way was like a topstitch two pieces on the wrong side of the fabric, then turning the whole thing out and creasing on that stitch, so that the "right" side shows, and there you have a facing piece. This doesn't happen on any of the edges of zam. The pant's "facing piece," on my costume is just neoprene folded over, no lycra.

To me, the "trim" wraps around the edge, but barely faces the body, and is more on the outside, to make things look nice. I am no professional seamstress by any means, just going with the pictures I have seen of facings, and what my seamstress showed me. Maybe the correct definitions of a "trim" are included in the "facings" definitions? I have yet to get all of these sewing terms correct in my head~ as all I know about sewing is what I've learned doing Zam. I usually just sew or mimic what I see and don't know most of the terminology associated with it. If trim and facing terms in the sewing world is synonymous, then I have learned something new

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

*Grabs handy-dandy Vogue Sewing Book*

Erm... no single easy definition for facing - "The purpose of a facing is to neatly finish and conceal a raw edge by turning it to the wrong side of your garment." Then they go on to talk about various types of facings including "shaped facings" which is what I generally think of as a facing - those pieces of fabric found at armholes and necklines on the inside. But a small bias band can also be considered a "facing." (I thought it was trim... :o )

Trims, according to the Vogue book, are always decorative in nature, not structural. Things like bands and braids, fringe, lace, etc.

Wow, thanks! I guess then, yeah, what my seamstress added was facing but sewn on like a bias band. Go figure, I thought bias bands were "trim" too. But, you can deal without the lycra too. If you just fold your neoprene over and sew down, you're fine.

Hey ~ all those who live overseas, I might have a problem shipping your fabric without putting 3 folds in the middle. You might have to lay it out and re-roll it to get it to relax the fold once you recieve it. The maximum height requirement is 60 inches and the fabric when rolled will do like a chinese yo-yo and might be over by 2 inches. If I am over their requirements; they won't ship. I also rolled the one yard lycra towards the end of the neoprene roll, so that you have easy access.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Mar 15, 2007 at 11:35 AM.

Please check the post before this one, I edited it, and edits don't post as "new."

First shipment sent 3:00 p.m. (today) 3/15/07:
    KimnCris
    KayDee
    Iceheart
    Seven
    Resilient
    Farfetched
    tk/SL8456

Please check your email for your tracking number.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Mar 15, 2007 at 9:42 PM.

From
    Escondido, CA

I am so glad that things worked out.
    Waiting to see my name listed as having gone out
    Thank you so much for everything!!

From
    Cardiff, Wales, UK

Thank you so much for this

Hope to see you at CIV

7 of you will get an email.

From
    Northern California

Got my neoprene and greeblies today! Thanks so much

Shipped today, Saturday 3/17/07 12:00 pm

Moncal
    Benkenove
    Droid Collector

To track packages goto: www.usps.com
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Mar 17, 2007 at 10:58 PM.

Seven!! Get yer' stuff! I don't want it sent back to me and me have to resend it! :

From
    Salem, Oregon

My Fabric just arrived! Now everyone at my work is wondering what this huge box is sitting in my cube.

I should've colored the outside of the box with polka dots and would have loved to hear about their reaction.

From
    New York, New York

How come it got to Oregon before it got to Ohio?

Mine is still listed as "accepted in MD" *grumble* I wants me some neoprene!

From
    Ohio

Nothing moves fast in Ohio. Once I mailed two identical boxes from the same post office on the same day, one to an Ohio town 50 miles from here, the other to Portland, Oregon. Guess which box reached its destination first?

Iceheart said: View Post
    How come it got to Oregon before it got to Ohio?

Mine is still listed as "accepted in MD" *grumble* I wants me some neoprene!
    You wanted to get it parcel post instead of priority.

From
    Salem, Oregon

Zam I Am, all I can say is

Thank you so much for taking the time and the effort to make this run a reality. We know it was tuff and stressful for you, so much so that you probably wont ever want to do this again. Sitting here with my five foot long roll, that is five inches in diameter, I can only imagine the size of the roll as it showed up to your door, and the time and effort it took to cut it up for each of us. I for one greatly appreciate your time and effort you put into this to make our own costumes a reality. All I can say is :thumbup thank you.
    with much appreciation and admiration,
    seven

From
    New York, New York

Zam I Am said: View Post
    You wanted to get it parcel post instead of priority.
    I guess that would explain it.

From
    Salem, Oregon

Just thought I would share my fabric with the group

From
    Escondido, CA

Purdy