Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 21, 2007, 3:51 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #51

Wow! Our seamstress offered to do this for an estimate of £50 which i think is very reasonable. I would be happy to pay up to £100 for it to be done right rather than me mess it up LOL
    Apr 21, 2007, 5:01 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #52

well i dont like to put it out there, but im actually an okay seamstress, even though im a guy...not to say sewing is a "girls" job cause i obviously dont beleive in that sort of thing, but a lot of folks are shocked when i tell them i can sew...i guess 7th and 8th grade home economics and a mom who made this Eagle Scout sew all his merit badges and patches himself had some benefits

so any comment on the above problem...is that just an optical illusion?
    Last edited by JDFett; Apr 21, 2007 at 9:53 PM.
    Apr 21, 2007, 9:55 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #53

as you know Jamie and i went out to a seamstress today to see if she could do the undersuit...she said she could for like 500 bucks! NOT IN THIS LIFETIME I figure I can sew, albeit not as well as a professional, but enough to decide it wasnt worth 500 clams right now!

so we went out looking for a pattern we could revamp and picked up this

we figured it would help with a few areas like sleeves and crotches

i went to work on this while jamie was out at her moms and got both legs together...just need a final fit on Jamie..hoping to get them done tomorrow...they are not perfect by no means but they look pretty good..

here you can see the raised stitching on the center of the side of the leg

then here i was reusing the pattern to cut out material for the saddle part

this is a close up of the two pant legs...just need tailor them so they are tight on Jamie and sew them together...

and i long view of both finished pants panels
    Apr 21, 2007, 10:15 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #54

Very cool! I'm glad you can sew! We have a great tailor within a mile of our house, they did Aimee's Jawa for $120 - but that was a higher rate because we needed it rushed. Also all we had were reference shots, no pattern. They went above and beyond!

BTW - how did you end up doing the seams? Can you show a close up of the in and out side so I can use as a reference later?
    Apr 21, 2007, 11:11 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #55

There is only a single welt seam on the arms as well as the legs ... you can see it on some of the pics (like at the NY FIDM pics that were posted elsewhere on the forum here ). It just looks like more "seams" on the pic above because the fabric is shiny, the thickness of the fabric and the angle the picture was taken at. The leg "saddle" seam looks smaller because of the way it was sewn. (It may also be just a second layer of the lycra sewn onto the regular neoprene/lycra material).

So, there is a single welt seam on the outside seam of the arms. A single welt seam on the outside of the legs and the welt seam for the "saddle" seams on both the legs. The rest of the seams are regular seams. (Please, if I'm wrong, someone correct me!).
    Apr 22, 2007, 4:36 AM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #56

Ooooh i thought it was a double welt - ack :s So just a single welt or less all over, no double welt anywhere?
    Apr 22, 2007, 1:22 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #57

*Ack!!!* Better double check my sewing terms here!

Okay According to my Vogue Sewing bible/book: (Paraphrased)

A welt seam (Single Welt Seam) Is a regular seam, with the seam allowance pressed to one side. You trim the lower seam allowance then you then stitch again parallel to the first seam, encasing the lower seam allowance. So what you see is only one row of stitching parallel to your first seam.

A Double Welt Seam - You complete the regular welt seam as above, then topstich close to the first seam you completed. It looks similar to a flat-fell seam (Like on jeans) and you see two rows of parallel stitching.

After looking at the pictures from FIDM and from DCB's Reference CD - I think all the welt seams are Single welt seams. I don't see any second row of stitching at all. That would also explain why all these seams are more rounded, rather than flattened.
    Apr 22, 2007, 3:32 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #58

Oh dear, my seamstress had a look at the pics and i think she sewed us a double welt on a test piece. I really thought the leg saddle type piece seams were double, i better have a close look at the ref CD!
    Apr 22, 2007, 5:25 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #59

well to be honest...i tried a single welt seam on the saddle part and it was a nightmare trying to get it right, so i went with a double so i could get the nice straight stitch lines on the turn...i also did a single welt seam on the leg and will do the same on the arm, but i also stitch the other side becuase to me it looks better...so im not totally exact...not worried...

so while on a sewing break, I thought id finish up jamie's chest armor that ive been working on...here it is finished...I took the shot with the DTG picture in the background so you can see i tried to mimic the actual piece the best i could(no i didnt go fett crazy on it!) Used silver leaf, then detailed it with some spanish copper and some pewter, all R&B stuff

Apr 22, 2007, 6:16 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #60

JDFett said: View Post

Apr 22, 2007, 6:34 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #61

Langsuir666 said: View Post
    Oh dear, my seamstress had a look at the pics and i think she sewed us a double welt on a test piece. I really thought the leg saddle type piece seams were double, i better have a close look at the ref CD!
    I wouldn't worry about it! Honestly... It is so hard to tell, especially in some of the pics (and I could be wrong ) I think you have to go with what works in the situation (if the seam is sticking up funny - well, you may need to stitch it down! ) I'm sure your suit is gonna look fabulous if it has single or double welted seams on it! At least you're gonna have a suit!

JDFett - Chest armor looks great! I have half of my lettering cut out ... taking longer than I thought to get that part done!
    Apr 22, 2007, 7:39 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #62

thanks maulmaus!

and we finished her pants tonight as well....except for the hem by the ankle and the waist...i need to buy some draw string for her waist before i hem it....
    (doubt thats canon either but it will help keep her pants up )

Apr 22, 2007, 7:40 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #63

Lookin' good! Lookin' real good! :thumbup

How'd you manage to cut out those letters?
    Apr 22, 2007, 8:41 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #64

real slow with a razor knife...took about an hour to do it...wasnt easy
    Apr 22, 2007, 10:29 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #65

:o If you notice you and I posted pretty much at the same time. I never saw the pants until just now!

Man, I wish I could sew! Great job on that too!

So how much you got left on your Zam? Looks like it's really coming along fast!
    Apr 22, 2007, 10:32 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #66

An hour!!! What's my problem ?? I've been using a hot craft knife - has an x-acto on the end - I spent what... 2 hours or more just on the one side.... I swear it takes me 2x or 3x longer to do everything than it takes everyone else... ... Oh well...
    Apr 23, 2007, 12:51 AM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #67

It took us AGES, and we messed it up lots and slipped LOL - well I messed it up lots and slipped then John fixed it haha!

I love your chest pieces there, very accurate!!! Body suit looks like its comming along real nice! Awesome job youre doing!!!!! You will be finished before us!

Yeah MM the seams i think youre right on the legs they are single and that line does look likje a shadow on the arm im just sure i remebered Zam I am saing she used double on the arms somewhere maybe im wrong hehe
    Apr 23, 2007, 7:16 AM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #68

well there is still a tone of work as you know...top, skirt, finish vest, gaunlets, helmet assembly, new aluminum balster assembly, belt, cape, viel, boot assembly.....argggg!!! , plus Jamie need to finish painting the rest of her greebs...here is the cape seal she finished yesterday

as far as the seams...the ones down the leg lenght and the arm length i would say most def single...if the ones on the saddle are single...i have no clue how they did it because its near impossible to make such a perfect corner by the knee without doing a double...thats how i did it after trying the single three times and saying...forget that!
    Apr 23, 2007, 7:59 AM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #69

so Jamie also worked on her boots too...here's a quick mock up...we painted them with my old anakin nulife color...i think we will be redoing them with a more milk chocolate color...she still needs to do the weathering on these pieces...

i also found a fairly accurate pair of leather gloves at the local department store(agway)...surprised that they looked so close...just need some purple

Apr 23, 2007, 9:14 AM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #70

JD - what's that book underneath the gloves?

BTW Everything is looking great!

Edit: Also, do you have a item number for those gloves? I'm still looking around for a nice pair.
    Apr 23, 2007, 10:14 AM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #71

MaulMaus said: View Post
    An hour!!! What's my problem ?? I've been using a hot craft knife - has an x-acto on the end - I spent what... 2 hours or more just on the one side.... I swear it takes me 2x or 3x longer to do everything than it takes everyone else... ... Oh well...
    this is the same guy that built his whole clone in, what, 2 days?

he's nuts...
    Apr 23, 2007, 10:29 AM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #72

JD - if you are going past that store again might you be able to pick a pair up for me and ship em to the UK? I cant find anything here and we dont have that particular store over this side of the pond. If not dont worry its a hassle for you i know, send me a PM if you like, they just look really good! lol
    Apr 23, 2007, 10:56 AM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #73

langsuir...that not a problem...i'd be happy to do that for you....they were only 10 bucks USD...send me a shipping address and i'll let you know when i grab a pair and what shipping would be...they had a small leather strap near the wrist but a quick snip took care of that. I know that the only female pair there at the time was the one i grabbed, but ill keep an eye out as im sure they will get more...

brian, you should talk youre as bad as i am...the thing is...when im in the middle of a project...i go non-stop till it's done...it's a sickness and one that is ticking my wife off cause she really wants to put some time into the construction...it's just so hard for me to stop once i get going...i hate being idle

tony, thats the DTG book (swatch-less)
    Apr 23, 2007, 11:02 AM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #74

JDFett said: View Post
    when im in the middle of a project...i go non-stop till it's done...it's a sickness and one that is ticking my wife off cause she really wants to put some time into the construction...it's just so hard for me to stop once i get going...i hate being idle
    I'm the same dude, LOL. Just not married. Becky (Langsuir666) feels the same so lately I've been doing other stuff for myself.
    Shame we're dudes, hey? Cool costume is Zam.

If you can get her the gloves that should help, a little
    Apr 23, 2007, 12:05 PM - Re: My Zam Project Progress #75

beleive me...i thought about making a spare undersuit just so i could wear the thing..LOL i figure heck...she wears all my costumes!

(side note....she says there is no way i'll ever be caught touching her costume, other than helping on the build )