Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

My Zam Project Progress

From
    Cardiff, Wales, UK

Re: My Zam Project Progress

Thing is with those greebiles they were painted high contrast colours to look cool on screen/film. When you see them close they do look pretty pants. Even the exhibitions shots look like a child has painted them.

Becky's are bright and look like a talented child has painted them. If they're dirtied/toned down a little they'd look cool
    Last edited by sl/tk8456; Apr 16, 2007 at 7:35 AM.

sl/tk8456 said: View Post
    Becky's are bright and look like a talented child has painted them.

From
    Marana, Arizona

well for the universal key we went with the concept that the original pieces was all copper and the other colores were various levels of patina from being old...we actually sprayed a couple coats of flat matte clear to it since the picture and it does look less bright and shiney now

I have done my greebs now i posted them in my progress thread. I think everyone is going to have different colors. im happy with mine but i need to see how they look on the costume as a whole not just on their own

From
    Marana, Arizona

so we wanted to see how things were coming together...we did a quick mock up of the armor, using our carboard template(havnt made the leather piece yet)...i think everything looks good together...a couple small issues with some of our parts but thats why upgrades are a never ending battle...should look nice together when it's done....

From
    Richmond, VA

Lookin good!

From
    florida

Lookin' amazing. I can't believe how quickly you've gotten so far!

From
    Cardiff, Wales, UK

Great work. When that ab assembly is completed it looks way cool

From
    Marana, Arizona

we went out to tandy leather today and got some scraps for the ab plate and the trim on the armor...
    here is what we came up with after finishing the ab plate

we are going a bit darker(our preference as we are trying to mimic the on screen zam more than the actual color suit used) but i think it came out great...we even curled up the left bottom corner and put the wear marks in it...used purple and red dye, toned down with some rubbing alcohol...then used mahogany antiquing for the darker (weathered) spots

From
    Richmond, VA

Very cool! Good to see it's coming along!

BTW - did you come up with the template on your own, or was it blown up from the visual dictionary images?

From
    Marana, Arizona

actually i just freehanded it from the book onto a piece of cardboard..then referenced it off the other armor i got form cal and the greeblies...making sure it matched what i saw in the dressing the galaxy book..it is a tad dark but im going for the darker color for the leather..i like the more weathered look...

having trouble with the vest though...we tried a mock version with some cheap pigskin today and we tried it pattern-less it was okay but i got a bit stumped on some of the areas cause ive never done anything like that before..i guess ill pick up a vest pattern

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

JDFett said: View Post
    having trouble with the vest though...we tried a mock version with some cheap pigskin today and we tried it pattern-less it was okay but i got a bit stumped on some of the areas cause ive never done anything like that before..i guess ill pick up a vest pattern
    Um... Yeah... might be a good idea!!! ... Lesson #1 ....

There's a thread on the Zam boards here to a leather vest pattern I found that works very well, with some alterations. A regular vest pattern would also work, but will require more alterations - just keep that in mind when you make your pattern. Also, it's always a good idea to make a muslin mock-up of your piece before cutting up your leather (or expensive fabric ) so you can check for fit and/or cutting and sewing issues ... but if you just want to wing it...

From
    Marana, Arizona

i think to be honest..the hardest part of this entire costume is going to be the vest and the belt...ive been looking around for a reliable leatherworker to do them for me but even some of the better folks are afraid to tackle it(maybe my instruction on it being so presice is scaring everyone.. ) what was the consensus on the size for the eyelets?

I was looking for some sort of tutorial for the vest and belt on the thread and there really isnt much...any help on the belt construction would be appreciated

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

As Yoda would say... "Look through the threads you must!" Do a search - there is at least one thread with good information on the vest and one on the cummerbund/cumberbund (spelling???) here on the boards with links and/or information on how to make the cumberbund here.

The vest isn't so hard really, if you've got some basic sewing skills. The cumberbund is pretty basic as well.. Maybe it's the dyeing/coloring the leather that has you so nervous?

Ill also be looking for the same threads in a second. I have my eyelets, ive measured them and the are supposedly the correct size but i dunno they just look small Right im off to use the search thingy ma doodle!

From
    Marana, Arizona

beleive me maulmaus...ive search and searched...ive even read just about every thread in this topic

im sure i missed it...but its nice to ask for some simple info sometimes...I know the status quo is go search the thread for yourself and find it...kind of like a treasure hunt, but its easier to just ask and hope for a quick answer....

edit*
    just found it...seems 1/8 inch was the consensus...man do i have to disagree with everything...they seem bigger than that on th DTG pictures...im thinking the 1/4 may be more accurate. if you look at the space left when threaded with standard lacing 1/8 inch would just be too small. I have a motorcycle vest that has lacing on the side as well and the eyelets are also 1/4 inch eyelets....i think ill go with that
    Last edited by JDFett; Apr 18, 2007 at 2:57 PM.

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Langsuir666 said: View Post
    Ill also be looking for the same threads in a second. I have my eyelets, ive measured them and the are supposedly the correct size but i dunno they just look small Right im off to use the search thingy ma doodle!
    Can you post a pic of the eyelets next to a measuring tape/ruler? Before you go poking holes in your vest? Those things are a pain in the you-know-what to get out! I'm also sending you a PM!

JDFett: Yes... but the answers you seek are in the threads... Honestly, I just printed the things out because I kept having to refer back to them over and over and over. (If you can save to a PDF File, then you can just print the page(s) you need w/o wasting a lot of paper). The answers aren't straight forward and simple.... there are also links and measurements, etc. on those threads ....

From
    Marana, Arizona

so true...good idea as well

From
    Marana, Arizona

so I've been working on Jamie's vest...we decided to go with a really cheap pigskin for a test run...($18 bucks total!)

the pictures show the final fitting for the test...I will be using the test vest as our pattern for the actual one. the pictures show some comments as well....

actually didnt use a pattern for this test...kinda modified my biker vest ive got a tad to get the general jist of the vest

From
    Richmond, VA

I thought the vest was supposed to have a plunging neck line?

Lookin' good so far for a rough draft!

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Okay... you've got a good start there. But I'm also kinda confused on a few things.

First - if it's a final fitting and a test run so to speak - why not go all out and put a zipper in and the eupulets? (The zipper will really change the way it fits verses just using pins - trust me!). Having a good pattern for those stupid epulates is harder than it looks! It's good practice as well.

Second... Yep.. the front darts need to be extended, it will help the fitting along the bustline as well. (You could even do that on this fitting piece if you wanted).

But my main question is in regards to the "Actual vest" comments. 2 ply leather? Do you mean you will be having it lined with the wedding white pigskin as well? Basically sewing it inside out, then turning it around? Could work - though with the epuletes and the irregular shape of this vest, it won't be easy. I'd try it out on some fabric first - to see how it actually works.

Second on this, I wouldn't get my heart set on one dye/paint color unless you've tried it out on the specific piece of leather already! You might be surprised what color it comes out when you actually airbrush it on to the leather.

ItsThatGuy: Plunging Neckline??? Uh...No...
    Last edited by MaulMaus; Apr 20, 2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Extra comment

From
    Marana, Arizona

in response maulmaus...the only reaosn we didnt put in the epulets is because those are really not anything needed for the actual pattern...after i get the other vest done to this point i will most likey do a dry test on this for those pieces before doing the final vest. also with the zipper i actually pined it extra tight in the front to allow a little leeway without wasting a zipper and time on this test vest(hey that rhymes )

ya, with the darting, it does need to be higher...but ill wait to make the adjustment on the actual vest as thats just a matter of making a cut adjustment on the other material...I also used a black sharpie to mark all the way around the hem so i know where exactly to cut the other material(adding the extra sewing area of course).

I think that the onyl way to get the correct looking curved hem is by doing the inside out method....once done anything can be turned right side and as long as you stitched it along the line youll end up with a real nice finished edge...plus her vest just seems to have more weight to it than one ply (2 oz) pigskin.

most definatley try out the color first on scrap before the final spraying....you got that right!

Tony, is there even a picture of the front of her vest showing that type of neckline? I assumed you would need it high so you could attach the armor with some clips

thanks for the input...thats what it's all about

From
    Richmond, VA

MaulMaus said: View Post
    ItsThatGuy: Plunging Neckline??? Uh...No...
    JDFett said: View Post
    Tony, is there even a picture of the front of her vest showing that type of neckline? I assumed you would need it high so you could attach the armor with some clips
    ::shrugs:: thought I read that some where....guess not...

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

This is the only photo I could find - I took it at the FIDM exhibit but its a bit blurry - you can make out the top of the vest though, by the brooch.

Last edited by MaulMaus; Apr 21, 2007 at 3:05 PM. Reason: incorrect image url

From
    Marana, Arizona

another question...today we went looking for a seamstress and everyone wanted like 500 bucks to do the undersuit..SOOOOO...i said the heck with that...im sewing this thing myself! started today and this fabric sews like a dream! no issues at all, and thats with a regular needle...I bought a pattern for a pair of sweatpants and shirt and using that to modify...it working out great!

the question i have is as i was looking at the arm, i thought i could see a double raised area on the arm...in other words...the lines on the outside of the leg and the "breeches" saddle area appear to be one single bump...the arm looks like it has two smaller ones adjacent to each other...is this right???

Last edited by JDFett; Apr 21, 2007 at 3:30 PM.