Hey guys! I'm new to the TDH boards. I'm Cressie, a Dragon-Con veteran and recent fellow Zammer. I'm a recovering Padme addict- in other words I need something more challenging than sewing senatorial and I want to try my hands at armor! So I thought Zam would be the perfect costume to get me out of my Padme addiction- Plus I really want a good costume challenge this summer! And after reading most of the threads, it looks like I really have my work cut out for me.
I've been dying to do this costume for several years. She's the sexiest bounty hunter in the galaxy. BUT one problem. I have time to devote to Zam all summer long, but not the money. I'm in law school right now and I can't spend several grand on a costume, but would still like a good replica in time for DragonCon. I'm pretty crafty with sewing (8 Padme/Leia costumes and counting), leather (Mustafar Padme) and powertools (I'm a country girl), so I'm pretty certain I can do the work.
So here is the master plan after a lot of research and reading the wonderful posts on this forum:
- All hard leather parts will be made in glorious white vinyl. Why? Because I found a 12 X 5 ft roll of it at Big Lots for 10 bucks! It has great texture and it's pretty think and hard like kitchen floor linoleum- so it might be used for the shin guards and skirt only.
- The soft leather parts will be made from walmart pleather for 2.99/yd.
- Chest armor will be made out of Sintra or yard sale sign (Thanks ZamIAm!)
- Greebles will most likely be made out of Bend and Flex Sculpty from Hobby Lobby left over from my Slave Leia. I had great luck with sculpting, painting and the durability of it. You can bounce it on concrete!
- Shoes are men's hiking boots from Walmart
- Shin guards are pleather covered vinyl.
- Bodysuit will be a modified Zentai purple bodysuit from ebay, with a soft foam interfacing to give it the thick look of neoprene. I have yet to receive the suit, so this is still in the works.
Anymore ideas for a budget Zam? I feel like Ms. Cheap from the sunday newspaper!
- Helment: I've really bounced around with the helmet. I do believe this is outside my skill level, so I will most likely need a kit. But, i'm not giving up that easy. I'm at least going to attempt my version of it. It might even be fiberglass covered paper mache' hehe