Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 30, 2007, 12:14 AM - Re: Making the skirt #151

Quote Zam I Am said: View Post
    IMO, It's best to airbrush it first, to get an even coat, then dauber to get the variations.
    Yeah, I didn't have an airbrush at the time. I have a feeling that the new jumpsuit is going to dictate that I make new everything to match...so I'll be experimenting with the airbrush this time around
    Jan 30, 2007, 11:55 AM - Re: Making the skirt #152

Quote kimncris said: View Post
    Yeah, I didn't have an airbrush at the time. I have a feeling that the new jumpsuit is going to dictate that I make new everything to match...so I'll be experimenting with the airbrush this time around
    Isn't it fun to try new tools?
    Color coordination stinks though. I still haven't gotten that right. I just use the standup a reference. But, matching paint and leather dyes including wet look vs dry and what's already "given" is so terribly painstaking to a point that you almost don't care if you do it blind folded after so many trials. Waiting for something to dry or cure, that's THE most annoying part.
    Jan 31, 2007, 7:38 AM - Re: Making the skirt #153

No, there is a big difference in overlapping. That's why my skirt is too short. I forgot to add the overlapping. I just divided it up like you did, and it ended up being too short. How tall are you? I am 5'5 1/2" Almost 5'6" like Leeanna.
    Im exactly the same height as you I think i have short stubby legs tho lol!!!
    Jan 31, 2007, 1:59 PM - Re: Making the skirt #154

What's your overall length, bound up without the belt?

I'm not sure. I didn't measure it and now it belongs to someone else. I can let you know when I get the new one assembled... although I'll probaby wait a bit so I can dye everything at the same time.
    Jan 31, 2007, 2:49 PM - Re: Making the skirt #155

I keep on forgetting that you are doing zam 2.0 also!
    I guess I have to measure an overlapped piece and multiply it by row and then subtract it to the total of a column of 2 1/4" pieces.

Let's see 2.25" x12 (rows)=27"
    Overlap = .5625 (9/16") x11 (rows)=6.1875"
    Actual size (Cardboard cut out) = approx 20"
    27"-6.1875"=20.8125"
    20"-20.8125"=.8125"
    Hmm, off by almost 13/16" of an inch. That's ok I guess. If you have a little more overlap on some pieces, it would even out?

At 2" squaress I was shorted by 2 inches and all I ever hear from my hubby everytime we do an event, is "It's too short" Ugh.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Jan 31, 2007 at 3:30 PM.
    Apr 25, 2007, 7:22 AM - Re: Making the skirt #156

Ok guys i was looking for a punch and it seems quite hard to get them here but i found this, now im not sure how good it will be or even if it will work but i thought it was worth a try It was on Ebay as " FISKARS Hand Punch - 1/4" Rectangle " Ill see if i can fit my leather in it and how well it punches but im thinking it might break pretty quickly, anyway we shall see *fingers crossed haha

Just thought, if it breaks ill pull the punch off and stick it on something else and use it as a hand punch with a mallet
    Last edited by Langsuir666; Apr 26, 2007 at 10:36 AM.
    Apr 26, 2007, 11:25 AM - Re: Making the skirt #157

Ok due to the squares overlapping and everyone being same height or smaller than me and making squares 2 1/4 im gonna go with that. So just before i try out my strap cutter for the first time .... all strips that you cut first should be 2 1/4 inches? Is that right? Im scared to cut it LOL

Ok i couldnt wait i just HAD to try it!!!! lololol Its like a hot knife through butter!!! I cut a 2 1/4 strip - im wanting to cut more!!! LOL

HEALP!!! Where has the lacing diagram gone to ?! I cant find it anywhere and ive tired searches Im sure i saw it yesterday!
    Last edited by Langsuir666; Apr 26, 2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Itchy Fingers
    Apr 26, 2007, 2:03 PM - Re: Making the skirt #158

I'm pretty sure the squares get larger as the go down.
    Apr 26, 2007, 2:06 PM - Re: Making the skirt #159

Also remember - the bottom squares should slightly overlap the top squares (like fish scales)
    Apr 26, 2007, 2:20 PM - Re: Making the skirt #160

Yeah they get wider but the height stays the same. Im just getting really stressed because i can see my lines for the widths arent perfectly bang on straight. Driving me up the wall, what did you guys use to cut the strips into sections?
    Apr 26, 2007, 3:12 PM - Re: Making the skirt #161

Oh - I didn't know they stay the same height! Good to know!

I guess they used scissors to cut them!
    Apr 26, 2007, 9:19 PM - Re: Making the skirt #162

Yep... Height is the same, Width is bigger as you go down the skirt.

I used a rotary cutter and a metal straight edge. First I drew out directly on the leather where I wanted to cut, then I cut using the rotary cutter. Whatever didn't cut the first time with that (which did happen because I used 7 oz. leather) I used an X-Acto knife to finish the cut. It went very fast that way and because I made only relatively small cuts at a time, they were straight.
    Apr 26, 2007, 11:42 PM - Re: Making the skirt #163

once i had my strips of leather cut all the right height, I used a cardboard template to cut it into widths for each size rectangle. it worked out pretty well
    Apr 27, 2007, 1:43 AM - Re: Making the skirt #164

Ahhhhh rotary cutter , see i dont have the right tools LOL!! I tried with various type of blades and kept getting little wobbles where the blade was bending so i just used the strap cutter again, they look ok i think
    Apr 27, 2007, 4:13 AM - Re: Making the skirt #165

Quote Langsuir666 said: View Post
    Ahhhhh rotary cutter , see i dont have the right tools LOL!! I tried with various type of blades and kept getting little wobbles where the blade was bending so i just used the strap cutter again, they look ok i think
    I have a rotary cutter, but if I read your txt right, you've finished have you? If some are pants we can straighten them later?
    Apr 27, 2007, 7:44 AM - Re: Making the skirt #166

Yeah all cut out now - hopefully they are ok

Problems i got now it the cutter i bought is no good, wont cut the holes and the lace is too thin - its 1/8 not 1/4
    Apr 27, 2007, 10:57 AM - Re: Making the skirt #167

Quote Langsuir666 said: View Post
    Problems i got now it the cutter i bought is no good, wont cut the holes and the lace is too thin - its 1/8 not 1/4
    It'll be okay....

I know you can get the hole puncher through mail-order here in the US. I got mine through Montana Leather I think. You might find it slightly cheaper somewhere else. If you do a brand search (I can't think of the name right now and I'm late for work ) you should find a dealer in the UK. I think I paid $40-$50 for mine. It wasn't cheap!

On the lace... I ended up with some of my own and some I just bought... I'm mixing the two up when I finish lacing the skirt. I couldn't rationalize buying a whole new skin just to make my own lace...
  18. Member Since
    May 2006
    Apr 27, 2007, 1:37 PM - Re: Making the skirt #168

I'm in the process of getting my friend to take a look at what the shirt involves to see if he can make it for me and how much he's going to charge.
    I just can't see myself getting the time to do it by myself
    Apr 27, 2007, 4:07 PM - Re: Making the skirt #169

OK, I hate to be a thorn in everyone's side. I've read these forums over and over and I just get confused, but I have some questions, that have probably been answered...but...:

1) what are the sizes of the squares pre row? I know they stay the same hieght, but what about the width?

2) What type and thickness of leather are you using for the squares and how much do you need?

3) Do you make the laces or buy them? What color are they before they are dyed - or are the pre-dyed?

4) Do you airbrush them with leather dye or is it just fabric dye?

Again, sorry - this has probably been discussed already...
    Apr 27, 2007, 6:33 PM - Re: Making the skirt #170

Ok ill have a go! hehehe!

I have the list as follows. 192 squares in total. Square height 2 1/8 - 2 1/4 dependng on your height.
    Widths top 3 rows (48 squares) = 1 1/4.
    Next 1 row (16 squares) = 1 3/8.
    Next 3 rows (48 squares) = 1 1/2
    Next 1 row (16 squares) = 1 5/8
    Next 3 rows (48 squares) = 1 3/4
    Next 1 row (16 squares) = 1 7/8

Lacing can be hand cut from veg tan leather, i think you can also buy lacing like Maulmaus has. Laces are 1/4 flat lacing. Suede lacing is no good to use it has to be leather. You need approx 70 feet of lacing if you cut your own approx 9 sq feet of 1oz.

Skirt Squares are made from aprrox 4oz leather - i used less than skin ill find the footage shortly. Approx 18 sq feet

Dying can either be done with a cloth/dauber, dipping or airbrush. i think most have used a airbrush
    Apr 27, 2007, 9:09 PM - Re: Making the skirt #171

Okay... dug out my papers.... on what I used.

5-6 oz. leather for the skirt. (I don't know how much - I had to buy a whole skin in any case).
    1-2 oz for the lacing - which also got used on other projects. I didn't have enough to do all the lacing because I'm a lace making-idiot. Hence, I had to buy some lace rather than a new hide just for the lace. The best I found was 3/16" natural lace from Tandy (I think it is Kangaroo skin) comes in 25 yard rolls that can be dyed at the same time you dye the squares.

15 columns is what I think we came up with and 12 rows. Depending on your size you may need to add/subtract a column or row. Here is the link to the oblong punch. http://www.montanaleather.com/osbornepuches.htm. You want the 1/4" Oblong Punch.

I cut all my squares 2 1/4" tall.
    Widths (I actually measured in metric - this is as close as I can get it in English/American measurements)

2 Rows: #1: 1 3/8"
    1 Row: #2: 1 5/8"
    2 Rows: #3: 1 3/4"
    1 Row: #4: 1 7/8"
    2 Rows: #5: 2"
    2 Rows: #6: 2 1/8"
    2 Row: #7: 2 1/4"

The pattern called for 3 rows #7 - but I cut it wrong... It's worked out okay for me in any case!

You must use Leather dye on the leather... There is no formula because each skin is different. (I think there is a basic one somewhere on the forum here - but it is only a start) You will need Purple, Cordova (Red) and Blue along with the extender at a minimum. From there you will need to experiment and see what works on your leather. I also ended up using black and brown in my mixture - though very very little of each.

You can either airbrush, or dunk or use the swabs - it's up to you how you want to do it. It'll be messy and stinky no matter how you do it though!
    Last edited by MaulMaus; Apr 28, 2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: I'm an Idiot who can't count! ;)
    Apr 27, 2007, 9:36 PM - Re: Making the skirt #172

heres our finished skirt. Pretty happy with what we've achieved but there are some obvious flaws. Using a thin leather has caused the squares to 'bubble' and therefore not as flat/rigid as seen in the ref pics. it was a weigh-up between getting the right weight of leather or using a hide that was already the right colour, so we went with the latter. For the holes we simply used a round punch, but a much smaller hole and punched it twice to make an elongated hole - you cant really tell unless you look closely I also used a kangaroo skin lacing, bough a 50m roll. I'd also suggest a leather lacing needle.

Apr 27, 2007, 10:22 PM - Re: Making the skirt #173

MM! Thanks so very much!!! :thumbup
    I am confused (which you will find that to be nothing new) by your dimesions, there are only 11 rows. Also where is this pattern you speak of...?

Again thanks for clarifying!

Chansplace - Looks good overall, but I see your point on using thinner leather.
    Apr 28, 2007, 12:57 AM - Re: Making the skirt #174

Because I can't count! (I'm tired - it was a long day ... )

It was actually 1 row on size #6 and 3 rows on size #7. I cut the same number of #6 and #7 so I had to make the same number for each row.... The pattern I'm referring to is one ZIA and DCB came up with a few years ago and posted here on the forums - I don't know if it's still up or not. But, it basically illustrated the skirt and the sizes they cut the squares (which is slightly different from mine).
    Apr 28, 2007, 5:24 AM - Re: Making the skirt #175

MM i have a reel of 1/8 lace from Tandy. I was thinking about going smaller than 1/4 maybe like you did to 3/16 but how did you find it lacing through 1/4 slots, it doesnt make the lace lose does it? Last thing i want is for the squares to be moving around