Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Making the skirt

Re: Making the skirt

I dunno, I was researching something called atom wax that I bought cause that "master leather maker" guy told me to. I looked it up on the net and it said a lot of people use that to seal. The neatsfoot oil is used to kind of seal it first. But i don't like neatsfoot oil at all! It changed all the color on my skirt and my house smelled like really old nasty bacon for several hours. I know two pieces were cooked a little too long. But regardless, we're going to pray that the sun comes out for several days and dries some of it up.Zam I Aint thinks it might help, but man, that oil's really cooked in there. I am going to cut up more squares in the mean time. I really think it's not salvageable. On the bottle, it said it may darken colors, but man! I didn't think it would be THAT dark. Whatever you do, don't use neatsfoot oil to pre-seal it. Use something else, I know that they have alternatives. Look up atom wax and see if you can find a better "process". I would go with the ideas that are praised the most. Goes to show how I am always doing things trial by fire most of the time. Only this time I didn't "test" like I usually do. Please learn from my mistakes yall.

Ok, here is a little "process" to get yall started, I just don't know how to seal it.

First, you cut 2" strips (all squares are 2"tall)

Next you cut the squares (width varies from 2" and less)

Then you punch the holes out, and spray dye to look like thus:

DO NOT** ADD REGULAR NEATSFOOT OIL LIKE THIS PIC. BIG MESS!!! UGH! Squares are too dark, lace is all crappy...

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Looks like a big puzzle!

Did you end up making the whole punches bigger than you originally had?

no, I used the oblong 1/4" hole punch from cs?cj? osbourne company. The holes are same. I haven't repunched anything...I just recut the squares today. Waiting for my oblong hole puncher back from someone, then will airbrush dye it again. I bought 1 oz. leather for the laces and recut the laces.

MonCal wrote:

Is it necessary to seal them? I suppose it'll prevent purple prints of the costume wherever you sit? What else would you use?
    If you dye leather, it bleeds if water or liquid comes into contact with your dyed leather. You have to seal it if you don't want the colors to "drain" and "bleed" I think the neatsfoot oil is supposed to have kept the leather from being stiff, due to the alcohol in the dye that dries out the leather. But it's airbrushed, so my leather squares are still very pliable. The laces on the other hand, may need some type of conditioner. So, I am not really sure, but, I think atom wax prevents it from bleeding, but the leather still isn't water resistant, so, the water sprayed/poured onto the squares will do color damage. Therefore, we may need resolene or Neatlac? Still researching.
    Last edited by MaulMaus; Jun 23, 2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Invalid URL

i cut and hole punched all my squares today. In total - it probably took me 4 hours total (192 squares x 4 holes each = 768 holes ).

i have to find some leather for the lace and get me some dye. I think I might make some sort of belt to attach the skirt to that will hide under the cummerbund. i was thinking of possibly punching a row of holes along the bottom edge of the belt and tie the loose ends from each column of lace into these holes. This will hold it quite well and all be hidden...

Oh - and i used a much thinner leather then Yvonne did. Mine is a 3-4 oz. - which i believe to be closer to the actual movie skirt. (Yvonne picked a 7-8 oz. for hers) . If you make it too thick - it will not only be way heavy and a pain to cut/punch - it will be stiff and not "flow" very well. Zam's skirt squares buckle and conform around her curves and you can see the thickness in the cardboard cutout - it's quite thinner then it may appear to be at first glance.

I will compromise and say 6-7 oz, but no less according to the cut out (it measures at .11 of an inch thickness on the cutout, 7oz.=7/64" or .109 of an inch). I don't think it's 3-4 oz thin only cause I really do think it was uncomfortable and heavy. Thus, the butt pillows. And, 7 oz still can conform a little to one's curves. For comfort, 5-6 would be cool, cause actually, it would be a bit lighter to handle and wouldnt drag down as much. Cause, a belt underneath the cumberbun is totally necessary for it to stay on her anyway. Just my ramblings. Hey the thinner it is, the lighter it is. So whatever you feel is better ie, thickness vs. mobility go fer it.

here's my idea for how to attach the skirt...

i'm making a belt (1.5" thick) and notching holes along the bottom:

then each time I am at the top with a lace - i'll go through one of the belt holes - then back down a row of squares, etc...

the belt will then be hidden by the cummerbund. This way - each colum of squares will have equal support.

oh, on the real thing, the last column of holes wasn't hooked on a belt, are you going to leave that off too?

it could have been hooked on the last ones - but the strapping is perhaps loose - allowing it to hang lower then the cummerbund. I don't think they would have NOT hooked the last square to something.

Mini-Tutorial-Making the skirt

Ok, mini tutorial, after you cut all your squares like in the pics above, "punch" the oblong holes with a poly mallet, poly cutting board on top of cement or a marble block like this-(of course, you wouldn't have dyed the squares until after you punched the holes)

Then you airbrush dye it.
    Ok-- here's how you seal it. You use either super sheen (in a spray) or airbrush resolene. ( I airbrushed resolene)Let dry, then you put leather balm with atom wax last with a sponge, let dry. Then buff. That seals it all nice. This is the stuff from tandy:

For the lace, you cut it, dye it, put NON DARKENING NEATSFOOT OIL aka LEXOL. I used a cup full of the stuff and just pulled the lace under a wrench to keep it dipped in the cup, then I used a cheese cloth to wipe it. This causes it to be pliable. Then you airbrush resolene, then leather balm it, then buff with a cheese cloth. I cut out a large piece of card board and wrapped the lace around it, then i did the sealing. More coverage area. Now all I gotta do is lace the skirt...
    This is a pic of a lacing needle, you screw the leather clockwise into the needle for it to attatch. Then you lace.

My leather got stuck into the hole and didn't come out, so i used these pliers instead.

After using Dallas' diagrams above, I laced half of the skirt. Here is the front

here is the back:

lookin' good zam i am!!!!

That's lookin great!!

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Wow!!! That's looking terrific!!!! Can't wait to see the finished product in person!

Ok, I just finished the skirt and there is a problem houston... It's really stiff. I either:
    #1, should have dunked the pieces in non darkening neatsfoot oil

edit* #2 Should put some other type of conditioner (for finished leather) on it

#3 used some type of leather that isn't so thick, like dallas' 4 oz. (which I cringe to admit)

I think I will try #2 before admitting defeat...

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Does it hang properly? Can you wear it?

Would loosening the lacing help any? How about just working the leather a bit - piece by piece?

No... no defeat not yet...

I edited the previous post by me, you can't put veg tanned leather in a dryer, it will be ruined. Chrome tanned leather you can though to tumble it to make it softer.

Anyway, here are my skirt pics, man, I feel like i am wearing a hoop skirt or like a peacock!

Anycow, the ebinger guy said use some stuff from the shoe/cobbler store that makes leather more "conditioned" and pliable. I really liked the loosenng lace, idea, but I have already cut the lace per column to 62" ugh...

It will loosen up as you wear it

-cris

Somehow, I am totally wrong, or there's something i am NOT seeing... Where's the daggone belt? How is the skirt attatched? Pic#4280 zoomed...now you guys tell me, where is the freakin belt?

I have no idea.
    While we're at it, what the heck is this:

edit: nevermind...I think it's holding the gauntlet up on the mannequin...sorry!!

Moncal, I think your pic shows little "luggage" tags, so that the people at the MOM know which part goes to what...

Zam I Am wrote:

#3 used some type of leather that isn't so thick, like dallas' 4 oz. (which I cringe to admit)
    ZAI never listens to me

Anyway.. how come yer skirt looks so short¿ is it riding up too high on yer hips¿ How is the overall height compared to the standup¿

oK, the stand up and mine have a 3/4" difference in overall height. The reason mine is wider looking too, is cause I got a big 'ol butt, and I added another column of squares. I am thinking I might just take that column off, because it does look fat and funky...Oh, and that 3/4"-- so cut yer squares on the taller end, like more on 2 1/8" side. But 3/4" isn't all that bad... I am a half inch shorter than leanna anyway. Wish I could lose the weight, but my seamstress would kill me cause of alteration problems.

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

*glances at Zam standee* Hmmm... Seems being a Clawdite has it's advantages... you can give yourself a small butt! One thing I know... I won't be needing that blasted butt-cushion!

ZIA - Try taking off that extra column from the skirt, I think it's making it hang funny actually - by making the skirt go too far around your hips. As far as length... it looks a little short to me too. On the standee, the skirt goes down to the bottom of the back of her knees... it's hard to tell on your pics, but it looks shorter than that. Can you lower the belt to wrap more around your hips rather than your waist?

Overall I still think it looks terrific ZIA... the colors and effect are perfect. Now you're just down to the details... where the devil is!

MaulMaus wrote:

Overall I still think it looks terrific ZIA... the colors and effect are perfect. Now you're just down to the details... where the devil is!
    What? I am the detail devil? Eh? Huh?

Well I took a column off and it does look lots better, but you see, I have dunlap's disease... My belly dun' lapped' o'er my belt...Waist? what waist? I got a big butt and i do not lie... So for all you skinny people out there, you would appreciate my dimentions on the skirt for leanna a lot more. They would definately fit someone of Leanna's size lots better.

I did forget to mention, the colors look great! Did you mix up a few different shades or did the leather accept the dye differently from piece to piece?....or both?