Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Subscribe
    Feb 23, 2007, 5:44 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #76

I got the leather in yesterday and it's a bit darker than I thought it would be, though it is the right tone. (It is from Italy and dry-cleanable! !) I might end up using it on my chest armor, as I don't have enough of the sheepskin skiver left to do the whole thing, and it's thin enough to use for that ... I dunno.

I'll get a pic up this weekend with a comparison shot or two.
    Feb 27, 2007, 3:59 AM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #77

Awesome list Moncal thanx for that!!! Just ordered all the leather dying "stuff" LOL
    Feb 27, 2007, 2:34 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #78

Moncal, what oz weight are you using for the vest? You went pigskin garment white, so I am assuming 1 1/2-2 oz. That is approximately the same as the sheepskin leather that I got. Do you find that washing the leather makes it firmer? I wish I could "feel" your vest to get an idea. I am debating in my head, whether to see if I could just wash a sheepskin leather and see if it gets firmer so as to not stretch so much when installing the hose connectors et. al.

I think your skirt, holster, and helmet brim calculations are wrong in amount. You might want to re-add. I have 18 sq feet for the skirt alone. Are you talking about the strips for the holster? only? Cause, the holster has three layers and I think two of the layers are petite tooling calf, the other is the skirt material. Geez, it's been years.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Feb 27, 2007 at 2:49 PM.
    Feb 27, 2007, 3:22 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #79

I'm no expert but I thought pigskin only came in suede, not smooth like lambskin, which is why I would think her vest would be lambskin.
    Feb 27, 2007, 3:27 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #80

We used lambskin the first time around. It's been discontinued so we got the pigskin. The lambskin had more of a sealed finish so it was tough to get it to dye but the pigskin seems like it will take the dye better .... haven't tried yet and yes it's the same thickness.

Washing it and stretching it while drying will get the stretch out before it's sewn so it won't stretch later.

Actually my figures are probably too much for the skirt material because I already cut everything out and I've also made 3 holsters from that hide... that's just a list right off of my tandy receipt.

infact I just took some pictures of a members' holster yesterday:

Last edited by MonCal; Feb 27, 2007 at 3:36 PM.
    Feb 27, 2007, 6:02 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #81

Quote Foxbatkllr said: View Post
    I'm no expert but I thought pigskin only came in suede, not smooth like lambskin, which is why I would think her vest would be lambskin.
    Ya, my thoughts were the same.

Oh, and yeh, the skirt should take 6 1/2 sq feet minimally. So that leaves a lot for everything else. 27"long x 28" wide.
    Mar 9, 2007, 4:30 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #82

Okay, Finally got the picture of the leather I bought from Vogue Fabrics. It looks a bit grayer than it does in real life, but you get the idea in comparison to my skirt leather colors and my mock-hood leather color.

Mar 11, 2007, 9:24 AM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #83

Just a quick question about the veil and hood - who has used the predyed pigsuede? Have you added any dye to it or weathered it in any way? It looks wa too purple to me and i was wondering how best to make it work. Yours looks a nice color MM have you done anything to it?

Also the Shin Guards, are they leather covered for sure? They look plastic-ish to me, shiny in a way. Moncals yours looked good, were those leather covered, how did you do them?
    Mar 11, 2007, 12:23 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #84

One way to "get it less purple" is to put it out in the sun, so that it could fade. Yah, the purple suede from Tandy is too deep/dark/purple. Mine is actually moleskin fabric temporarily, until I can find a shade of the pigskin I like.

Your mock hood color is very close if not perfect MM!
    Mar 11, 2007, 1:10 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #85

That is the only advantage I can think of for living here in the middle of the desert - being able to bleach out that pre-dyed purple pigskin!

It's just the regular purple pre-dyed one from Tandy. I opened the box and thought "what am I gonna do with that?" The color was horrible! ZIA suggested sitting it out in the sun. We've got plenty of that here, so it sat out in my backyard for 10-14 days. Kept bringing it in and checking against the cardboard standee! "Nope... not done yet!"

I bought 2 chamois skins, which is what the veil/hood really are, but they have to be dyed, and I'm not sure how the dye will take to the skins with the oils used in the processing. They'll have to wait until Zam 2.0 begins... since I still have to finish 1.0

The shin guards are leather - thin, smooth leather which has been weathered and beaten up extensively. I know they look kind of "plasticy" in pictures, but they are leather! It's simply the finish of the leather and the wear and tear on the shin guards themselves.
    Mar 11, 2007, 2:34 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #86

Quote MaulMaus said: View Post
    I bought 2 chamois skins, which is what the veil/hood really are, but they have to be dyed, and I'm not sure how the dye will take to the skins with the oils used in the processing. They'll have to wait until Zam 2.0 begins... since I still have to finish 1.0
    I don't think that the veil/hood are chamois skins. I tried dyeing that and wound up ruining em. They don't take dye well. Did I miss that in some book or something?
    Mar 11, 2007, 5:14 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #87

Yes I did read somewhere that they were... and now I can't find the source! *ARRRGGHH!!!* I WILL find it....

It was an interview with Trisha Biggar someplace I think... not in a book, but on the net?

At FIDM, the veil looked a lot "fuzzier" than the pigskin and looks like the chamois except the color of course. I bought one direct from New Zealand (It looks and feels different from the ones I found here in the US) and figured I would try to dye a small piece when I do the next round of dying for the gloves. If it doesn't work, I guess I have a new cleaning chamois!
    Mar 11, 2007, 6:25 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #88

Yeh, I even thought it was chamois suede, because pigskin has a different grain, but I can't find any that I can dye aftermarket, because the tanning/sealing process. And, you can't dye suede. So, it has to be pre-dyed. I even did white dye then tried adding purple on top. NoPE! big mistake, the white is a different chemical than the regular colored dyes. Messed up a whole batch of 3 skins of very very light brown chamois suede. I didn't mention this one?

And, now the source is bugging me. MM~ it's all yer fault! I must've read it somewhere too, or something ~egads!!

Oh look! i found it!
    Quote MaulMaus said: View Post
    Just received my "Big" book! All I can say is wow!!! Quite hefty and lots of little goodies stuck in all over the place.

Bad News: No Zam material

Consolation Prize: Good pics of the fabric that look to be pretty color accurate. There is also a closeup of the veil material. And more information on the costume:

"...is composed of a wide variety of materials: the individually hand-painted heavy leather shapes of the skirt, chosen mainly for their qualities in motion but also because it moved more silently ... molded Flexicast that was used to hold the curve of the front tubes; metal powders were incorporated into flexible polyurethane making small pouches; the fine leather covering the polyster resin of the arm protectors; Neoprene fabric for the body suit; a chamois suede face veil with red silk forming the lining; the lead beads handing from a trapuntoed belt with rubber accessories and boots ... "

So all in all, I think the Zammers (DCB, ZIA and MonCal especially) did a fantastic job on figuring out what everything was and making it look right!
    Isn't it uncanny that I even thought it was chamois suede years before dressing the galaxy came out? I've amazed myself! Muhahahahah!
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Mar 11, 2007 at 6:31 PM.
    Mar 11, 2007, 10:36 PM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #89

Okay... the first thing to go is the memory But at least I haven't lost my mind!

It was in a book. I just didn't bring down the Big-big book to look at! (It's heavy and on the top shelf... need I say more?)

I think it is chamois and that Trisha Biggar & Co. are just dyeing/sewing/couture gods that put us all to shame! Maybe they somehow got the skin before all the processing? Tanned it themselves? I dunno...

Still, overall I think we've done pretty well. There are a lot of talented people here. Thanks to all of you!
    Mar 12, 2007, 9:01 AM - Re: Leather Parts List- Updated #90

I think they paid the tannery to dye it their color.