Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Leather Parts List- Updated

Re: Leather Parts List- vest leather rechosen

No biggie.

Hope your new lead on leather pans out.

ARRGGGG! I thought that the sample that I had given you Moncal, was the white chapsides, as it turns out, that WAS the same exact thing that just got sent to me... White sleeve on Pearl. It is 2-2.5 oz. leather. WOW, it's amazing how .5oz makes such a difference on the vest. I am running in circles and loosing time. So, it's six lambs, vinyl, or going broke... I have no other choices at this point.

But I did finally get my pig chamois suede from ebinger brothers, it's really nice, and Hope to dye it tonite. Only 27.00 and it's a big pig! 9 square feet of cutting available. so, it's about 3x4 or 3x3 ft squares.

Edit** so, I talked to my seamstress today she chose out of all the swatches- she loved my plonge, but it wasn't thick enuff, then she chose Moncals-- Zam I Ain't did the same thing. LOL I really think that Moncal's is nice, but I am going to go vinyl shopping. Actually, my plonge can be cut to 1.5 oz thickness, but I have to have a mass quantity of hides ordered. UGh. I am not doing a bulk ordering again...

Edit** ok, vinyl shopping I turned up fruitless...All too thick. Crap, six hides of lambskin? Ugh...there has to be a better way.. calling ebinger tomorrow about plonge at 1.5 oz.

Maybe you mentioned this somewhere but what leather did you end up getting? Did you ever find a good source for the plonge?

Thanks,

Cal

Lambskin from ebinger brothers. I think I put it somewhere (rustles through the threads-throws out kitchen sink...) I even put the contact name and tell him that you know me, measurements etc. Cause he will know it's for the Zam project. (I sent him pics )
    ..Ah here it is!! good ol' search function.. Dang-I didn't know I wrote a book on that stuff
    Oh, and Maulmaus-there are your cumberbun dimentions.
    http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...=6064&forum=10

I didn't use all of my vest leather, I wound up having 2 extra hides, because the seamstress was able to use the center of the facing piece cut outs for the flaps, therefore, she didn't double up the entire vest for sewing, only had facing pieces that were like inches deep on the sides. I think it was something like 3 hides of 6-8 square feet of white lambsin that was used for the whole vest and cumberbun. Costed a LOT less than plonge. And, if you airbrush paint the lambskin, there is no difference in the look between MonCal's sample and the ebingerbro's lambskin. Since there are facing pieces that get glued down, it's pretty durable too.

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Zam I Am wrote:

Oh, and Maulmaus-there are your cumberbun dimentions.
    Thanks a bunch ZIA! Your'e a Zam goddess!

Zam I Am wrote:

therefore, she didn't double up the entire vest for sewing, only had facing pieces that were like inches deep on the sides ... Since there are facing pieces that get glued down, it's pretty durable too.
    So basically the vest is un-lined? And the edges/facings are just deep enough to hold the eyelets and the shape in front?

well, the facings were thick enough, that no, no lining was needed. Meaning, it wasn't "just enough" for the eyelets, it was more than enough. Sometimes I do get leather shavings on my bodice, but, it's not all that drastic. If you were concerned about lining the rest of the innermost parts, you could always glue a lining to it. That's actually a good idea, I may use that to prevent these leather lint balls.

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Zam I Am wrote:

That's actually a good idea, I may use that to prevent these leather lint balls.
    Ahh... the trials and tribulations of being "Zam!"

Too funny!

From
    Michigan

Re: Leather Parts List- Updated

Can you tell me Zam I am..what exact shade of purple would you say Zam's costume is in...Forgive me, Im new to this and attempting to make my zam wear! Thanks!

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Welcome to the boards Starlett-Bounty Hunter!

Regarding the color of Zam's costume... take your pick! Different parts are different colors. DCB however came up with the following for the body suit:

pantone 5135U(chosen from Dallas's trip to Australia at MOM viewing of the actual zam outfit displayed)

I'm basing the rest of the costume off of that color.

Starlett-Bounty Hunter wrote:

Can you tell me Zam I am..what exact shade of purple would you say Zam's costume is in...Forgive me, Im new to this and attempting to make my zam wear! Thanks!
    First off, welcome aboard the purple den...
    I actually have several shades in my costume. My hubby and I tried to color match as close as possible using different paints and dyes. Everything on my suit is custom done, so all I can give you is like Maulmaus said, a variation of 5135 U.

From
    Michigan

Thank you for the welcome and your response. I really appreciate it. I'm so new to this, but am glad that you have such a great informational site like this up. I'm hoping to make a close to authentic Zam outfit as I can for Celebration next May in Indianapolis. I look forward to posting with you all! Thanks again!

Im just looking into buying my leather now, i wondered if anyone could post up how much leather approx they needed for each part of the project?

I thought this would be very usefull for people doing the leather parts so they could work out approx the cost and enquire about ordering at different places.

I did try and scroll through some of the threads and found the approx amount used for the belt and vest (thanx for including that Zam I Am) i just wondered if anyone remebered quickly any of the other quantities they used so we could add it to he list

Thanx in advance,

From
    San Antonio Texas

Langsuir666 just to let you know, I work for tandy leather factory and if you need leather just let me know what kind. Leather can get expensive, If you want to go through us (Rudy Darth G and I) we can get it for you at around 40-50% off, and we can ship it to you with UPS. Just a little heads up. Thanks!

Oh how kind and generous of you !! I have only looked at one place because unfortunately im in the UK and i think that even if i did get your discount by the time we add shipping on it might work out as expensive? That and its a lot of hassle for anyone to ship things internationally just out of the kindness of their own heart. Its lovely of you to offer though thanks very much!

www.leprevo.co.uk is the site i had a look at being a UK site. I think their leather for the skirt is 3.03 per foot and the white lambskin is about 2.40 off the top of my head, so double that for aprox dollars cost at $6.06 and $4.80

I think its the tools that will end up breaking the bank LOL

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Yikes!!! :surprise I thought it was expensive here! There has got to be someplace cheaper than that...keep looking before you spend that kind of money! Have you tried all over the UK? How about mainland Europe?

But... I guess if you do have to spend so much... it won't be "expensive" ... it will be "special" ! Good luck!

Is it really that expensive How much would i be looking at if i bought this in the US?

Another reason to hate living in the UK!!! Its only just bearable with Celebration Europe coming this year, if we didnt have that id be outta here hahaha!!!

Skirt leather - approx 18 sq feet
    Vest + Belt leather - approx 18 sq feet (3 lamb skins)
    Laces - approx 9 square feet

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Y'know I bought mine over such a long time period and soooo long ago, I couldn't tell you what I paid now... However, when you add in the shipping costs to the UK I don't know if if would really make that much of a difference. Ask 99centTaco for a quote on what he can get for you - add in the shipping then compare it to what you'd pay in the UK. Really it is the only way to know.

I tell you... Zam ain't a cheap costume!

99centTaco has just sent me a quote Very kind and quick too!!!! Ive just mailed 3 or so other UK leather suppliers aswell. Im slowly working out this is a pig of a costume $$$ wise lol!!! We just paid $170 for some second hand worn in Pradas that werent even 100% accurate its just the sole LOL

Whats that song go like ... if i was a rich girl ... lalalalalalalalala lala la laaaa

Just to let you know that our price is going to be lower considering that we can get most of if not all your leather items in one shot. Not to mention that the quote the Taco sent you is going to be at our price not the retail or the club price. We just want to give a little help to our kind of scum. :thumbup

Rudy G.

From
    San Antonio Texas

For those who were asking about the leather that I sell in my store, for all the different types, we have odd lots, suede, velvet suede, oil tans, veg tan, deer, and more, as well as dyes and finishes. We are very happy to help all of you. Here are pics of the leather in the store
    Last edited by 99centTaco; May 4, 2008 at 7:25 PM.

Langsuir666 said: View Post
    Skirt leather - approx 18 sq feet
    Vest + Belt leather - approx 18 sq feet (3 lamb skins)
    Laces - approx 9 square feet
    I don't know why I was reading this thread but will update the list up top. Thanks!

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Just wanted to add another resource ... Vogue Fabrics now has leather pelts - pre-dyed ones, ranging from 3.5 to 6 square feet, leather/suede. Two of the colors might be of interest to the Zammers out there though ...

Dusty Lavender

and

Lavender

I just bought one of the dusty lavender ones... figuring I could make something with it, if not use if for the the Zam (I like the color anyway and for $13 ) - so I'll let you know how it turns out! I've ordered fabric many times from Vogue Fabrics and have never been disappointed! *crosses fingers!*

From
    New York, New York

MaulMaus, let us know what it looks like when you get it... I might have a use for one too!

Julie

I just shared this list with a fellow zammer so I thought what the hay I should post it here too

This is what we use for our stuff

* Shin guards, chest armor, boots, gauntlets:
    sheepskin skiver 14.5 sq. feet

* Vest, cummerbund, gloves:
    Garment pigskin white 29.7 sq. feet

* Laces and top layer of belly leather:
    Petite tooling calf 6.8 sq feet

* Skirt, Holster, Helmet:
    Tooling cowhide premium import 6-7 oz 18.75 sq ft.

Feibings dye 4 oz bottles:
    Med brown #121
    Red
    Purple
    Navy blue
    Fiebings deglazer for painting boots
    Brown nu-life leather paint for painting boots
    Feibings resolene 4oz for sealing leather
    Feibings solvent 32 oz for diluting dye
    Fels Naptha soap : (found at grocery store for washing vest leather before sewing and dying. Use a cheese grater and grate a 1/4 cup of the bar into your washing machine on cold. After washing the leather, pin it to a piece of plywood and stretch it a bit to let it dry stretched so it won't stretch during and after sewing.)

I cut 16 laces at 80" lengths for the skirt not counting the smaller laces for the vest and greeblies.