Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Helmet kit

Helmet kit

I finally have everything together for a kit. As some of you already know I purchased the helmet molds from DCB and I am having a professional fiberglass company cast the pieces for me. I have also located all the other parts minus the hose that goes at the back of the neck. DCB included a 1/2 piece of wire loom and foam backer rod for that piece but I'm not sure I want to do the same thing. I haven't found a hose that I'm happy with yet.

Here are pics of my finished helmet as it came to me:

Here is the kit as I'm thinking of making it. I will assemble the binoculars and armature because I have a mold for making the bridge section connecting the two eye pieces. The only thing needed would be assembly, rub n buff, and weathering

Please PM me for more information. I don't check the boards everyday so please be patient with me if I don't respond immediately but I will get back to you as soon as possible

From
    SoCal

Re: Helmet kit

Great job on the helmet, MonCal! Nice casting job by the fiberglass co. too.

PM sent.

From
    Escondido, CA

Looks nice!
    PM coming your way.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

Wow, that's awesome!

From
    Wisconsin

Looks nice!

From
    Cardiff, Wales, UK

God Damn you're clever!

I maybe after the front emblem.....sorry

formerly SL-1190
    From
    New Orleans, LA

Moncal your talent continues to amaze me. Great work, as soon as you have kits for sale, consider 1 sold. Right here. Funds are available immediately. If you have any Zam parts you are selling at present please PM me. I am desperately trying to help a friend put a Zam together for C4. It is proving difficult. Thanks and again AWESOME work.

From
    Marana, Arizona

you know i will be pm-ing you

From
    Northern California

Wow, it looks amazing! Thanks so much for picking up the reigns with DCB's helmet design and doing a production run for us lidless Zams. And if DCB is lurking out there - thanks for letting MonCal be the new owner of the mold!

From
    Ohio

It does look nice!! PM sent...

From
    Christchurch, New Zealand

that looks sweet, good work Cal!!

From
    Cardiff, Wales, UK

Moncal,

Something worth noting is, my girlfriend had massive problems getting into this lid. I've taken loads of the inside and detached and moved the ear pieces outward lots. Re glassed it and attached them back. Fits ok now

Maybe one size doesn't fit all?

Also, I think the DCB is lop sided a little. It doesn't sit right. Again this could be her head size, so I apologise if I'm wrong.
    Have a good look at it and you may agree or seek me out and shoot me from afar. I think it's a totally stunnig helmet and blew me away when I took it out of the box. Wish I had that much talent I can tell you

From
    Marana, Arizona

whats the measurment between the ear pieces and of the head hole front to back?

I'm sorry gang! I never even thought about size problems. The helmet fits Kathy great as well as a couple other girls locally.

This casting has a bit of a lip on it that actually could / should be sanded down a little bit on the front and sides but the front to back measurement is about 7 7/8" if you trim the lip off in the front:

The side to side could be trimmed a little bit too if needed. It measures about 5 7/8" if the lips are trimmed:

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Well, I just measured my DCB helmet compared to that, and it looks exactly the same. I got mine to fit, though it took a lot of work and some padding inside as well. However, this one looks like you can work with it more and the back of the helmet, with the two "ledges" look more even to me as well.

I was wondering how you recommend we attach the earpieces and small greeblies? DCB had a pin system and glue.

I will try to put together a tutorial as soon as I have time to assemble one of these helmets but I thought the little nails was a good idea for the squares on the back of the ears. That along with some epoxy would hold great. The ears on this kit have a better ledge for attaching than mine did. Epoxy will work fine or if you have the ability to run some fiberglass you could put a layer of that on the joint... although that wouldn't be necessary... just an option.

From
    Marana, Arizona

size looks good cal...jamie takes a 7.25 fitted so that should be fine

From
    Salem, Oregon

I am interested in a kit.

nm, your post answered my question... Duh...

From
    Cardiff, Wales, UK

Has anyone managed to successfully allow the helmet binoculars to be articulated, like they are in the film?

You see Zam look at Obi Wan and then she returns them to her head, but you don't see this close up. It's from a distance.

Has anyone managed to allow them move but still have them sit fairly tight on top of the helmet when not in use?

The ones that I make articulate. Although I don't know if I'd recommend using them that way a lot of the time they can certainly do it.

From
    Marana, Arizona

just got moncal's helmet kit...very nice but it is rather small...for it to fit Jamie we had to dremel a lot out of the inside to almost 1/8 inch around the front and sides...it still is snug especially once the ear guards go on...i think it will totally flatten her ears against her head to just get the helmet on...also not sure if she will have room at the base of the back for the hose thing...it sits almost against her neck as it is...

very nice kit but those with bigger heads may need to look elswhere...jamie wears a 7.25 fitted hat for reference...

Ahhh i was worried this would happen LOL. Same as me (not with moncals kit but the original!) We went crazy with the dremmel and had to fill a few holes :S

Try doing what we did and taking the ear covers off completely and re-setting them further out, it helps with the ears

If youre struggling with the back id also be tempted to dremmel it off under the rear of the brim line and ret that back also. At least it might add a few mms

From
    Northern California

I think an attempt to deliver my helmet was made today. All I can say is this is one time I'm glad I know I have a small head! (I have trouble finding glasses because they are all too wide, and usually have to put women's baseball or golf caps on the tightest setting....)

So do people put foam on the top of the inside or anything to kind of soften the fit? Or is there really just no room for that?

From
    Marana, Arizona

to be honest...i dont think the foam will not be needed..unless your head is unbeleiveably small... I dont think the helmet is made to be pushed all the way down against the top of your head anyway...if jamie did that the front would be over her eyes and the back would be stuck into her shoulder blades...

hey becky...Jamie will be glad to hear all that(she was begining to think she was a freak with a big gigantic head). we thought about setting the ear guards on the top of the side rather than under the ridge too...thats what you guys did? seems it would add an extra 1/8 to a 1/4 over the ears. dont think it would look all that off either. what about the hose...in the back? did you guys find a way for that to work? and not sure i understood what you meant about the back. do you mean actually cut the back bottom off the helmet all together and push it back by adding some resin and resanding? Does the nuts that hold the binocs on bother you when you wear the helemt?