Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    May 31, 2007, 2:02 PM - Re: Cumberbund #26

where did you get your boot hooks from ZamIam?
    May 31, 2007, 7:34 PM - Re: Cumberbund #27

I've stumbled across a wonderful material that will help us fellow Zam seamstresses make the various Zam parts, far far easier....

Seen as pig skin is stretchy it's a bugger to sew with, right? Not anymore...

If you iron on heat activated cotton glue sheets to this inside of the pig skin, this helps LOADS!

It doesn't spoil anything, just helps to stop the pig skin stretching under your needle and over time.
    Don't leave the iron on too long as the skin wrinkles up and shrinks

Check this out...

Basic length, plus mock up of belt that fits Becky

After ironing the cotton onto the pig skin strip

Trim it all away

Leaves you with a little pig skin, cotton pocket

Far easier to mark out now as it won't lose it's shape.

And then you can add quilting like this

Hope this helps someone
    Last edited by sl/tk8456; May 31, 2007 at 8:29 PM.
    May 31, 2007, 8:31 PM - Re: Cumberbund #28

Very cool! Thanks for the link JDFett! I bought some (from England might I add!) - but now can't find the things... That's what happens when I re-organize!

John - I don't know if I've ever seen that here in the states... kind of like a stabilizer I assume. Iron-on interfacing? Does the needle get gummed up when you sew with it?
    May 31, 2007, 9:11 PM - Re: Cumberbund #29

Yes, yes yes. That's it!! Iron on interfacing. I remember what it's called now. The lady in shop did say and remeber that term going way over my head but she said it would do what I wanted.

No it doesn't get gummed up at all. The glue dries as it cools and sticks to the internal nap of the pig skin really well. I've flown through the belt, second time round. Will post pictures tomorrow. I'm off to bed
    May 31, 2007, 9:14 PM - Re: Cumberbund #30

Oh yeah and the best match I've seen for Zam's boot hooks are called J91, military by YKK. The zip folk

http://www.ykksnap-america.com/boot_...BootHooks.html

These things look spot on to me

If anyone over in the States finds these, please spare me and Becky a thought
    May 31, 2007, 9:39 PM - Re: Cumberbund #31

i saw those too...but you need a setter for them and thats just added cost for something that isnt really seen when together...the other sew on boot hooks are nice cause they are for one sew on...no setter needed and you wont see the sew on part after its laced...not sure how big they are though
    May 31, 2007, 10:12 PM - Re: Cumberbund #32

Quote sl/tk8456 said: View Post
    Oh yeah and the best match I've seen for Zam's boot hooks are called J91, military by YKK. The zip folk

http://www.ykksnap-america.com/boot_...BootHooks.html

These things look spot on to me

If anyone over in the States finds these, please spare me and Becky a thought
    I think that I saw those same ones wayyy back when...and, yes, much more accurate. I contemplated getting a box, but instead, I got mine from a local boot place that does custom leather boots. I tried to get them to make the zam shoe but they wouldn't, because it wasn't thier type of boot. Then I asked them about the boot hooks, and she said, "I am sorry I can't help you any more, you lucked out, we just had some from a discontinued run," and stuffed a scrap of leather and some boot hooks in a bag, and said "good luck." She was really really nice. I wished I could've given her more business, but the fact was it wasn't plausible. Cowboy boots wouldn't equal zam boots.
    May 31, 2007, 10:46 PM - Re: Cumberbund #33

I couldn't find those things... I've looked and looked and looked. I've found someone to set them - but they don't carry them and won't order them. Right now, I'm not caring if they are sew-ons or set-ins as long as they are "hooks" !!! Yep.. I'm getting desperate! I know I put them someplace! *gads... someday I'm gonna get organized!*
    Jun 1, 2007, 2:34 AM - Re: Cumberbund #34

do the set ins basacally work similar to a snap set without the back piece? I wonder how much force is really needed to set them without a tool...
    Jun 1, 2007, 10:12 AM - Re: Cumberbund #35

got em!!!

ok who wants some?

I spoke to YKK here in the UK today and our military use them for their MODs boots etc
    The guy is sending me samples in the post

I'll get several, more than I need, some if they are right, they must be, and someone wants some, please ask

Ta
    Last edited by sl/tk8456; Jun 1, 2007 at 10:23 AM.
    Jun 1, 2007, 1:14 PM - Re: Cumberbund #36

why if you have 16 extra...i could use a return favor on the gloves
    Jun 1, 2007, 1:45 PM - Re: Cumberbund #37

Quote JDFett said: View Post
    why if you have 16 extra...i could use a return favor on the gloves
    Understood dude. Let's see how the pan out when they arrive. They look 100% spot to me anyway
    Jun 1, 2007, 2:36 PM - Re: Cumberbund #38

You've got the right ones John! No question!!! You could go to a shoe repair place (the correct name eludes me at the moment - feeling blonde ) and they should be able to set the hooks for you in the finished cumberbund!
    Jun 1, 2007, 3:06 PM - Re: Cumberbund #39

Quote MaulMaus said: View Post
    .............You could go to a shoe repair place (the correct name eludes me at the moment - feeling blonde ) ..........
    Over here we call them cobblers . Yeah good idea. However the chap on the phone did say that they sell a little tool, much like you get when yu hammer press studs through things, that's really cheap. He said you do need a tool but good news it's cheap

Made by YKK, in the states they're called J91, over here M34