Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 19, 2006, 12:57 PM - Tubachris BKBT Completed #1

Well, it took about 5 months to do, my goal has been met 2 weeks ahead of time. The cost: $350+ Not sure the exact amount, but from the basic calculations from the majority of supplies.

I would like to thank EVERYONE that has helped me on this board to the completion of my helmet. I could not have done this on my own accord without this community's helpful insight and wealth of information.

The helmet itself is not perfect, I will admit that. Then again, what in the world is perfect? Its competly satisfactory with my standards, and I put the best effort I could, restraining myself from rushing. The work was hard, but benificial and rewarding. After being exposed to what everyone here does, I find that its much more then just costuming, its a passion in a way. Just like how I have a passion for playing the Tuba, I have a passion for my hobbies. This is my passion.

-tubachris
    (What's next...?)

2. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Oct 19, 2006, 1:11 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #2

Wow, way to go Tuba! Looks great, and the colors come out looking really good.

Oct 19, 2006, 1:21 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #3

tubachris, your Jango helmet turned out great!
    Oct 19, 2006, 1:41 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #4

Nice Job Tuba! Im Happy you finally got your BKBT finished helmet!!

Now I would dirty up a bit to make an outstanding helmet
    Oct 19, 2006, 1:58 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #5

Quote JangoUri said: View Post
    Nice Job Tuba! Im Happy you finally got your BKBT finished helmet!!

Now I would dirty up a bit to make an outstanding helmet
    Well, I like a clean helmet. It dosnt look it in the pictures, but in real life, it does have its own gritiness to it, but a good kind. Besides, if I did, I might try to clean it the next day.

-tubachris
  6. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Oct 19, 2006, 2:41 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #6

Hi guy, good job, look very well, ENJOY IT !!!!
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    Oct 19, 2006, 3:55 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #7

Awesome job right there, Tuba! I like the pictures in the light so you can see the helmet shine.
  8. Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Oct 20, 2006, 3:06 AM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #8

i love the bucket!

but i have a question, with ref to this pic:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48...shedearcap.jpg

did u use some kind of magnetic catch to make the caps removable?
  9. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 20, 2006, 3:55 AM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #9

Nice job on the bucket!!! How many times did you repaint it again?
    Oct 20, 2006, 3:58 AM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #10

Quote Bleahhh said: View Post
    i love the bucket!

but i have a question, with ref to this pic:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48...shedearcap.jpg

did u use some kind of magnetic catch to make the caps removable?
    Yes I did actually. What I did was I got 6 rare metal magnets, a and countersunk 3 holes deep enough to sit two magnets flush, and epoxied one in each hole, and epoxied the other magnets on the earcap that coorospond, so that they line up together.

-tubachris
    Oct 20, 2006, 4:05 AM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #11

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Nice job on the bucket!!! How many times did you repaint it again?
    I'd like to say only once, but really it was....13 times.

-tubachris
    (Who's replying on his PSP right now)
  12. Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Oct 20, 2006, 12:50 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #12

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    Yes I did actually. What I did was I got 6 rare metal magnets, a and countersunk 3 holes deep enough to sit two magnets flush, and epoxied one in each hole, and epoxied the other magnets on the earcap that coorospond, so that they line up together.

-tubachris
    ahh i should keep my eyes peeled for magnets of that size.... gd job!
  13. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Oct 20, 2006, 1:04 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #13

Oh yeah!!!! The magnets are perfect because you can press the screw. Is a really good idea. Good Job
  14. Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    Oct 20, 2006, 2:51 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #14

That looks great! Just be sure to weather that bad boy up
    Oct 20, 2006, 4:21 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #15

Great job, another sweet Jango bucket.
    Oct 20, 2006, 5:52 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #16

Quote Bleahhh said: View Post
    ahh i should keep my eyes peeled for magnets of that size.... gd job!

Sorry for the short replies, I was in orlando, and was using my PSP online, and was on the TDH, and took FOREVER to write out a lengthy post.

Anyways, the magnets I used are "rare earth" metal magnets, you can buy them at Radioshack. They come 2 in a pack. I will say the only issue I am having with this method though, is that they are coming off. Im sure its the epoxy I'm using, or something. I brought it with me to Orlando, and was showing my buddy the helmet when one of the magnets stayed on the recieving magnet, instead of stayin on the earcap. So the only thing I'm afraid of is taking off the earcap, and the magnets coming off as well. So thats the current problem.

-tubachris
  17. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 20, 2006, 6:22 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #17

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    I'd like to say only once, but really it was....13 times.

-tubachris
    (Who's replying on his PSP right now)
    13 times repainted, and then this was BTBK's 13th helmet in the run. Interesting coincidence!! It didn't come in the mail on the 13th did it?
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Oct 20, 2006, 6:52 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #18

Helmet looks very nice.

Well done.
    Oct 20, 2006, 10:17 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #19

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    13 times repainted, and then this was BTBK's 13th helmet in the run. Interesting coincidence!! It didn't come in the mail on the 13th did it?

Hmmm....jeeze, I never realized that. I need to look it up and see what day it did come on. I'm afraid to look.

-tubachris
    (I'm scared..)
    Nov 4, 2006, 7:08 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #20

To secure them in place use the plumbers putty. It comes in a little stick(walmart) and you knead the desired amount together to mix it and then press a small amount into the hole and press that magnet in fast! And scrap off excess putty before it sets. Use water for clean up and dip your fingers in the water when using it so it doesn't stick to you:-) Your helmet looks awesome!
    Nov 4, 2006, 9:57 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #21

Quote goldenrod said: View Post
    To secure them in place use the plumbers putty. It comes in a little stick(walmart) and you knead the desired amount together to mix it and then press a small amount into the hole and press that magnet in fast! And scrap off excess putty before it sets. Use water for clean up and dip your fingers in the water when using it so it doesn't stick to you:-) Your helmet looks awesome!
    Hey, thanks for the suggestion, but I jactually fixed the magnet issue awhile ago, just never posted it up. I really do appreciate your recommendation though.

I had a blast goin as my un-creative "Punk" Fett for this past week.
    My first outing was at FYO rehearsal, where they had a halloween party and a costume contest, not a major one, but my first one, lol, got 2nd. Next one was the next day (halloween) at school, freaked some people out. I got the "look, it's Boba Fett!" At one point, I just wanted to wear a cardboard sign around my neck, reading "It's Jango buddy...." That night was great, stopped by at a Coldstone for some Ice cream. No worker was at the counter, and a women came out of the kitchen, saw me, and yelled "Oh my Go(sh), were're being robbed!" Aside from that, alot of people loved it, and had no problems with people messing with it. I think most of them were just afraid, because of the "cold stare" look, that the helmet naturally has.

So that was my first experience out on the town behind the visor. Was soooooooooo humid though, I need to upgrade to a larger fan too. And I have decided to try and finish off a whole suit now. May not happen yet, but I have plans too in the not too distant future.

-tubachris
    Nov 4, 2006, 11:29 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #22

How did the fan system workout? Also, great paint job.
    Nov 4, 2006, 11:48 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #23

Thanks. The fan system right now isnt perfect, I mean, theres nothing wrong with the fan, its just too small to generate enough cool air through it. I need to just get a bigger one, the good thing is that it pretty much all the fans operate on the same power source of 12v. I only added the fan because I had no other purpous for it, and I used it to get some soddering/electrical experience.

Ah, the paint job, I think it came out well, even though I did it 13 times....
    I like this last time better, because it has a light glaze over it, as you can see in the pics, makes it "shiny." However, its not perfect either, but ite the best I could do.

I just wanted to comment on the pin stripes. Ive noticed that some people make the spaceing wider then the actual helmet, but I dunno the actual distance between stripes. I used the cover of the episode 2 visual dictionary.

-tubachris
    Nov 4, 2006, 11:58 PM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #24

Well, it looks awesome. How did the armor turn out? I've been thinking about the trash can armor. I'm a big guy so if I make my own I can make it to fit. I've seen some big dudes in little armor and it just does look right.
    Nov 5, 2006, 12:10 AM - Re: Tubachris BKBT Completed #25

I had made out the armor pieces, and was gonna do paintball vest out of it, but I havent played in about a year. Alan was kind enough to resize the Boba templates for me, and it came out proportional, and looks great. However, I had some issues with the vest, and I just decided to save the armor pieces for another projsect if I could ever get a wearable vest.

-tubachris