Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jun 16, 2009, 12:02 AM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #51

So any luck with the paint yet?
    Jun 16, 2009, 4:06 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #52

Quote CaptJono said: View Post
    So any luck with the paint yet?
    I'm gonna try again sometime this week. I went to south florida, and tried to paint my helmet again. Big mistake. Nothing was working down there. I'm really frustrated with it, but I'm going to have to wait a bit for the humidity to come down.
    Aug 19, 2009, 4:08 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #53

Well, it's been awhile, but I'm getting back on this shortly, amongst other things. I think I may have discovered the reason as to why the paint was going on as it did. It is because of how I was sanding it.

I need to buy new sand paper so I can fix it
    Aug 19, 2009, 11:01 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #54

how does the way you sand it make a difference in how it accepts paint? i've never heard of that.
    Aug 20, 2009, 3:40 AM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #55

Quote saint_nasty said: View Post
    how does the way you sand it make a difference in how it accepts paint? i've never heard of that.
    Well, the surface texture of the material affects how the paint goes on. I discovered it while attempting to paint another piece. I sanded it mostly with a mouse sander, and then took a 300 grit to it, but it still showed marks from the mouse sander. I repeated sanding with regular paper and wet sanding. Because I didn't start with the lowest grit and work back up, it still revelead the mouse sander marks, which caused the paint to have a crinkled or extremly spotty affect.

I am pretty sure something similar is happening here with the helmet, because I used a mouse sander on quite a few areas.
    Aug 20, 2009, 6:37 AM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #56

ok, i get you now. i use a mouse sander too, i start my sanding process with it and a 220 pad. then i go by hand wetsanding 320, 400, 800, 1000. by the time i'm done my arms about to fall off and i've ran up quite the water bill, lol. but i know what you mean with just the mouse, when i made my friends kids boba armor i just sanded the trash can plates with a 220 mouse. it felt smooth enough, but then i painted it and all the tooth marks were showing quite nicely.
    Oct 4, 2009, 9:05 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #57

Quote saint_nasty said: View Post
    ok, i get you now. i use a mouse sander too, i start my sanding process with it and a 220 pad. then i go by hand wetsanding 320, 400, 800, 1000. by the time i'm done my arms about to fall off and i've ran up quite the water bill, lol. but i know what you mean with just the mouse, when i made my friends kids boba armor i just sanded the trash can plates with a 220 mouse. it felt smooth enough, but then i painted it and all the tooth marks were showing quite nicely.
    Yea, I'm cutting down the amount of work I do with the mouse sander for paintjobs. It's been ruinning alot of my work and paint.

I managed to paint the blue on, but ran out of paint sorta half-way through, but I might need to sand it down again cause a few spots I missed appeared in some spots, but not as bad as i was before.

Anyways, I'm going to finish this in the next few weeks, making my goal before Halloween. I've had this helmet far too long and I want to apologize to the TheDentedOne for the wait.

Going to get some more krylon paint, cause they couldn't have made the cans any smaller

-TC
    Oct 8, 2009, 9:54 AM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #58

The crinkled finish in the Krylon can also be caused by applying a heavy coat that negatively reacts to the Rustoleum underneath it, especially if the Rustoleum paint was sanded down considerably. My solution to that problem has been to first apply a very light coat and letting it dry for a day to seal everything, and then coming back with a heavier smoothing coat 24 hours later. Keep in mind that when I say "very light coat", I mean you can still see the surface undearneath somewhat.
    Oct 8, 2009, 11:17 AM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #59

Quote Cruzer said: View Post
    The crinkled finish in the Krylon can also be caused by applying a heavy coat that negatively reacts to the Rustoleum underneath it, especially if the Rustoleum paint was sanded down considerably. My solution to that problem has been to first apply a very light coat and letting it dry for a day to seal everything, and then coming back with a heavier smoothing coat 24 hours later. Keep in mind that when I say "very light coat", I mean you can still see the surface undearneath somewhat.
    Normally, that's what I think it would be...however, I don't apply the rustolium before the krylon, so I'm spraying directly onto the helmet surface. I'm still sure it's a sanding issue, cause I never had these issues before I ever started using a mouse sander on these props

light coats are always good...what I do like about the krylon though, is that it dries very well to the touch in a very short time period
    Oct 15, 2009, 7:50 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #60

Update...

Had a similar reaction again, but this time, it was much more minimal, so I feel I'm just about close to getting past this one thing. It's been really frustrating but oh well. I've begun sanding down again (wetsanding it off, no more mouse sander), going to finish sanding again tomorrow.

Also in the pics is the New RF ear cap generously supplied by FettPride

Hard to see here, but I've circled where the bubbles re-surfaced. Much more noticable in person

-TC
    Jan 28, 2010, 6:39 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #61

Bringing back up this thread.

I have just under 5 weeks left before I leave for Basic. I'm not proud of myself for having held onto this helmet for this long and as I've said before, theres no excuse. I've been working on this for the past week, stripping down the paint. I recieved a BobaMaker Jango visor as well this week. I've completly wet-sanded the entire helmet, and should have gotten rid of the un-eveness of when I used the mouse sander sometime ago. I feel that was the cause of the splotches of paint as posted above.

Anyways, I need to find my drill set. It went missing shortly after finishing my snowtrooper. Don't know whether or not it was stolen, but wouldn't be surprised..

-TC
    Feb 10, 2010, 4:52 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #62

Finally was able to finish stripping about 98% of the previous paint off, completly wet-sanded this time. Filled some holes where the previous builder had put some wood screws to hold the ear cap in place. Got that sanded down. I had to remove the original masking tape, repolish the silver. I'm gonna be re-masking it again tonight, and put a few layers of primer down for me to sand. The weather is alot cooler, so if things go as planned, painting shouldn't be an issue.

-TC
  13. Feb 11, 2010, 3:27 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #63

Good to see you back on this Chris! Your work is good! You need to show these Noobs how you really paint lids! lol
    Feb 11, 2010, 6:39 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #64

Quote Mandalorian Guard said: View Post
    Good to see you back on this Chris! Your work is good! You need to show these Noobs how you really paint lids! lol
    LOL I've always thought that I am an everlasting noob
    Feb 11, 2010, 9:40 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #65

Okay! So I had somehwhat of a busy day today but I was able to mask everything off and get a few layers of primer down. Tomorrow I have nothing to do, so I'm gonna do another sanding to smooth it out again and put some blue down. Hopefully it won't bubble like before :fingerscrossed:

Need to get ahold of a drill set. I want to get the RF box attached to the stalk sometime soon, and start modding the ear cap!

-TC
  16. Member Since
    May 2006
    Feb 11, 2010, 9:57 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #66

The Krylon and the Rustoleum together will give you fits. I have come to despise Rustoleum due to their lengthy drying times and they seem to be incompatible with certain types of primers also. I feel your pain from doing TD0488's paintup. If someone could find other hobby paints which would work the incompatibility issues could be solved.
    Feb 12, 2010, 3:03 AM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #67

Quote SD68 said: View Post
    The Krylon and the Rustoleum together will give you fits. I have come to despise Rustoleum due to their lengthy drying times and they seem to be incompatible with certain types of primers also. I feel your pain from doing TD0488's paintup. If someone could find other hobby paints which would work the incompatibility issues could be solved.
    For the most part, I haven't had too many issues with the two paints conflicting. The biggest issues have always come from the krylon application. The Rustolium always came out fine for me. I will say that other projects I've worked on, the rustolium paints do have issues within it's own brand.
    Feb 12, 2010, 4:35 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #68

same exact thing happend. Excuse me while I go shoot myself in the foot *sigh*
    Feb 12, 2010, 5:37 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #69

Don't strip it off yet. I had similar problems with the Krylon. I ended up just putting on several layers and wetsanding it with like 2000 grit sandpaper. It ended up coming out great with a natural semi-gloss finish.
    Feb 12, 2010, 5:41 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #70

So your saying to spray on the krylon despite the bubbling? After you sand it, did you apply another layer?
    Feb 13, 2010, 2:53 AM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #71

The final coat on mine is a wetsanded coat. You may have to apply several layers but the finished coat can be wetsanded with 2000 grit.
    Feb 13, 2010, 11:27 AM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #72

Keep up the good work TC. Youll get it figured out
    Feb 14, 2010, 10:46 AM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #73

I've had bubbling occur in the Krylon when I applied it too thick and it's was placed in front of a source of heat. Might that be your case? I would recommend sealing all of the painted areas with the Rustoleum and then going back and taping off the Krylon areas and painting over the Rustoleum. That's how I've done all of my helmets and it has worked out fine for me when I've applied the Krylon lightly. When I went to heavy with the Krylon...it bubbled.
    Feb 14, 2010, 3:16 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #74

Quote Cruzer said: View Post
    I've had bubbling occur in the Krylon when I applied it too thick and it's was placed in front of a source of heat. Might that be your case? I would recommend sealing all of the painted areas with the Rustoleum and then going back and taping off the Krylon areas and painting over the Rustoleum. That's how I've done all of my helmets and it has worked out fine for me when I've applied the Krylon lightly. When I went to heavy with the Krylon...it bubbled.
    I've actually considered that before. The reason I haven't tried it is that I think it'd make masking off for the krylon a little more challenging. If the method that foxbatkller dosn't work out for me, then I'll give this a shot.

As for application of the krylon, I've tried going as light as possible. It has even bubbled when I tried "misting" the helmet. I cannot explain it for the life of me

Thanks guys!
    Feb 15, 2010, 5:12 PM - Re: TheDentedOne's FP ILM CC Repaint! #75

Quote Foxbatkllr said: View Post
    The final coat on mine is a wetsanded coat. You may have to apply several layers but the finished coat can be wetsanded with 2000 grit.
    So..lol, where can I purchase 2000 grit sandpaper? I just got back from Home Depot, and the finest grit they had was 600. Only other hardware store around is Lowes