Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 28, 2008, 10:23 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #26

Don't take this the wrong way Chris....But you sure 'Talk' alot.
    Aug 28, 2008, 10:27 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #27

Quote FettOfficer said: View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way Chris....But you sure 'Talk' alot.
    Ive realized that awhile ago :o
    Aug 29, 2008, 7:47 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #28

Got around to sanding the bondo and masking it off, for the main blue. Trying something new (for me at least) I couldnt find any really thin masking tape, so Im trying out the automotive pin-stripping that I have. I had bought a new roll of the stuff for my last build, so I figured I'd give it a shot. My old technique is (theoretically) not as efficient in creating a even line of seperation. I think it will turn out very well after I paint it!

-TC
  4. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Aug 29, 2008, 7:52 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #29

You can have a clean separation line with just masking tape, even thick as butt masking tape. It is just much harder, your method works fine and makes life much easier.

Great job so far, cant wait to see more!
    Aug 29, 2008, 8:13 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #30

Quote 987654321a said: View Post
    You can have a clean separation line with just masking tape, even thick as butt masking tape. It is just much harder, your method works fine and makes life much easier.

Great job so far, cant wait to see more!
    Oh yea, its just a very time consuming thing and you have to have some serious patience lol Ive run out of that.
    Aug 29, 2008, 8:40 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #31

Oh my god! wow! This is gonna turn out excellent . Oh and Chris I changed my mind about the weathering and would like you to put just a bit of weathering, nothing heavy. Maybe just some smears , barely noticeable if you know what I mean
    Aug 30, 2008, 2:12 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #32

Quote SoulAssassin said: View Post
    Oh my god! wow! This is gonna turn out excellent . Oh and Chris I changed my mind about the weathering and would like you to put just a bit of weathering, nothing heavy. Maybe just some smears , barely noticeable if you know what I mean
    LOL Just a little bit?
    Aug 30, 2008, 2:49 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #33

Main blue is painted and dried. Im going to need to grind down a bit of the interior portion of the visor area. Discovered that it has an uneven ridge that will prevent the visor from getting in. *will not touch the paintjob*
    Aug 30, 2008, 2:58 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #34

Wow! You'll have this one knocked out in no time and be ready to start the next project.

Great job so far Chris!
    Aug 30, 2008, 3:03 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #35

Quote TheDentedOne said: View Post
    Wow! You'll have this one knocked out in no time and be ready to start the next project.

Great job so far Chris!
    LOL If I can find a screencast Range finder box!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

Thanks man, I'll start the next one just as Im finishing this one up
    Aug 30, 2008, 8:39 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #36

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    LOL Just a little bit?
    Just a bit, some stains here and there.
    Sep 1, 2008, 7:09 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #37

Just a bit, some stains here and there.
    Oh alright then lol

I taped off the helmet so I could paint the cheeks just now. I have to do the ear's seperatly, just based on the placement and trying to tape things off. I *may* need to redo some parts of the ocean blue. I think the humidity did something to the finish of it, Im not really sure, but I dont like it. So thats what's going on now. Depending on how quickly I can fix that issue, I want to be able to move onto Rub&buffing, and wethering hopefully by the end of this week or next. Just need to get that darn RF box!

-TC
    Sep 3, 2008, 5:31 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #38

Well, I usually dont like to do this, and I think others dont as well, talking about the mistakes/errors on my work, but this is to show the where the helmet is right now. I have not had much time as I had previously thought to get more work done. While I am very happy with how clean of a seperation line was created and the color of the cheeks, the pin-stripping tape was strong enough to pull off tiny bits of the light blue :ugh: What this means is that I need to tape off the cheeks completly, sand and re-paint the ocean blue. Also, despite being completly covered and filled, that darn crack reappeard. Im going to have to try and get something stronger. I know plastic weld would work, but I have had issues getting it smooth before. Would JB weld work?

Anyways, here are current pics of the helmet. Like I said, I usually dont like to show mistakes, but I dont want to *hide* anything.

The lighting really affects the look of the colors. The cheeks have a really nice even gloss on both sides. I ran out of blue masking tape, will have to get more tomorrow!

-TC
  14. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Sep 3, 2008, 11:04 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #39

I hate to say I told you so... but JB weld is 20 million times stronger than Bondo, it wouldn't have come apart if you would have used it first.
    Sep 4, 2008, 4:07 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #40

Gutted for ya Chris!
    And by posting your 'incidents' only shows your human and honest?
    Sep 4, 2008, 5:46 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #41

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    I hate to say I told you so... but JB weld is 20 million times stronger than Bondo, it wouldn't have come apart if you would have used it first.
    Yea, well, I just made a mistake. Will know better for next time

Quote Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    Gutted for ya Chris!
    And by posting your 'incidents' only shows your human and honest?
    I see myself more as an ogre :o
  17. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Sep 4, 2008, 7:00 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #42

Thats looking good even for that small mistake, and the crack!
    Sep 10, 2008, 9:12 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #43

Okay, I finally had enough time today to get to fixing the mistakes. I sanded the blue, most of it, making it smooth all around. I decided to take this opportunity to go back and fix areas that were bugging me, such as the inside of the rim of the visor. The way the casting came out, you can see a very defined, even line that I am assuming, came from the mold, as to where the inner edge was "supposed" to be. Same thing along the inner vertical portion of the visor. I took some bondo to it, and will have to wait until tomorrow to sand, and add more if needed.

Im also going to JB weld over that crack. The unusual thing is that after I sanded the paint that was over it, I ran my finger over it, but I could not feel the crack. Oh well, still going to cover it.

The RF stalk and box are on its way as well!

-TC
    Sep 13, 2008, 7:56 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #44

Last night, I went and sanded the bondo down. It's looking alot better now, but it just needs a bit more to even out areas. Almost there, then I'll finish up the painting! And the RF stalk came in as well

-TC
    Sep 14, 2008, 5:28 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #45

Ok, here are some quick pics. Today I went ahead and finished up the upper/inner rim of the top of the visor area. The vertical portion though is not done, *should* be done by tomorrow, I just added bondo before taking these pics. I also put some JB weld over the crack. If it still appears after this, I dont know what will cover it up.

The parts on this that appear black, is actually level and flat, it may appear to be an un-even dip, but it is just the color of the material after sanding

Going to hit it with some primer to make sure everything is looking how I want it to before I paint it.

-TC
    Sep 14, 2008, 11:31 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #46

Cool its looking good! and hopefully that darn crack wont be an issue any longer. Perhaps if you placed something to hold the visor together until the visor is installed might help it from coming back.
    Sep 19, 2008, 1:13 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #47

Cool its looking good! and hopefully that darn crack wont be an issue any longer. Perhaps if you placed something to hold the visor together until the visor is installed might help it from coming back.
    Yea, I'll see what I can put between the mandibles to hold it steady, but I hopfully wont need it now, cause the jb weld settled pretty strong lol

Going to finish sanding (hopefully no more bondo will be needed), paint some primer, and then correct anything else.

I also got the ILM cast RF box yesterday, thanks to BKBT for the help on that!

lol trying to balance out my time wisely now with everything

-TC
    Sep 21, 2008, 6:28 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #48

Alrighty then! Getting closer (in my mind at least lol) Sorry that it's taking longer then I usually would, to build one of these up, just this required a bit extra work on top of school. So Im done using bondo! I just finished up the inner edge of the visor along the mandible, and I feel it came out really great, considering how it looked before hand. The jb weld appears to be doing its job as well. The primer really shows how the surface really looks as of right now. Just a bit more sanding to finish the surface, and it's good to go for the next round of ocean blue.

-TC
    Sep 21, 2008, 8:52 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #49

Man o Man , I cant wait! the lip does look way better.
    Sep 29, 2008, 2:55 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #50

Hmm...Im not very happy. Ive painted the blue on the other day, and it became bubbly out of no where. Sanded it off and painted it again today, same thing. I am not understanding why this is happening now, this hasnt happend to me unless I purpously tried to...I think I may need to get a new can :ugh:

Sorry Soulassassin, trying to fix this

-TC