Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 6, 2008, 5:50 PM - SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #1

Most of you might be wondering why in the heck I make so many of these helmet build threads. Well, I pose a question to Ye, when was the last time you saw a Jango helmet build up thread since my very own? (with the exception of Asok's thread rofl)

Anyways, this is something Ive been waiting for, for a very long time; being able to hold in my hands an ILM cast jango helmet, regardless if this was one of the "reject" castings, I would gladly give away a kidney or two to actually own one...wait, what?

Went for a run through a small forest, to come home to the package on my doorstep, and furiously opened it like it was the biggest present you find under the tree on Christmas morning. The helmet was covered in masking tape, which was very strong IMO, so it took me awhile.

Naturally, as I do with my other builds, I compare it to my very own BKBT. Im sure it's been done numerous times, but it's MY turn lol

First thing that is apparent, is the size difference. Ive heard that the ILM is significantly smaller then BKBT's bucket, with a width of about 9 1/4 inches, whereas BKBT' is about 9 3/4 inches wide (measured from where the ears lay flush; did NOT include the ear's width)

There appeared to have been some stress cracks on this side of the helmet, which I'll have to bondo up before painting.

Overall, I really have to commend BKBT's work on this, I dont know the circumstances for when he sculpted the helmet, but I know that he was very **** close as far as the accuracy of it. The fact that he made it larger, yet maintain the appropriate details really affirms my satisfaction for getting it. Ive considered re-shaping the width of the visor, but I gotta say, Im not, because it's unique to the BKBT helmet, and I really love the "clint Eastwood" squint.

The inside is currently covered with bondo, which I'll have to grind down, might also explain why its so heavy lmao. One thing Im happy about, is that depsite how small it is, it fits my noggin!

Things that I really have to do with this helmet:

-Get stalk and RF topper, and visor
    -Sand off and clean up some areas
    -Paint it, hopefully I'll figure the best way!
    -Assemble
    -Party

-TC
    Last edited by tubachris85x; Aug 6, 2008 at 6:14 PM.
    Aug 6, 2008, 5:52 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #2

Chris, I love to see your Jango builds, and well heck, every other kind of build. You are a real inspiration with your craft!!!

G-Fett
    Aug 6, 2008, 8:36 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #3

Quote Studio Fett said: View Post
    Chris, I love to see your Jango builds, and well heck, every other kind of build. You are a real inspiration with your craft!!!

G-Fett
    Thanks man, I really appreciate your compliment!

I just stripped off the blue and sprayed a layer of primer. The only downside with this helmet now, is that I will have to use Rubb and Buff for the silver. I was told by soulassassin, that the helmet's dome had a large number of airholes, which he had to use bondo to fill, so that means, I cant use the special cold cast finish No matter though

It may appear that a Bobamaker visor is actually not wide enough to fit the visor as well...
    Aug 6, 2008, 9:03 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #4

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    The only downside with this helmet now, is that I will have to use Rubb and Buff for the silver. I was told by soulassassin, that the helmet's dome had a large number of airholes, which he had to use bondo to fill, so that means, I cant use the special cold cast finish No matter though
    yeah it sucks but it will be amazing none the less
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Aug 7, 2008, 2:17 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #5

Use something a little stronger than Bondo to fix those cracks. Use JB weld, it won't reopen easily. You have to work a little harder to sand it, but it's well worth it.
    Aug 7, 2008, 3:09 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #6

Quote GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    Use something a little stronger than Bondo to fix those cracks. Use JB weld, it won't reopen easily. You have to work a little harder to sand it, but it's well worth it.
    Thanks for the recommendation. The thing thats unusual, is that it's only on the surface, and it dosnt flex at all. Im confuse as to how it even got there. SoulAssassin told me himself he had never seen them before. The helmet was padded very well too. A mystery to all.
  7. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Aug 7, 2008, 3:11 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #7

Could this be the next mystery helmet?
    Aug 7, 2008, 3:18 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #8

Quote 987654321a said: View Post
    Could this be the next mystery helmet?
    lol what?
    Aug 7, 2008, 3:53 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #9

A mystery to all.
    I think this was what he was reffering too....
    Aug 7, 2008, 3:57 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #10

Quote Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    I think this was what he was reffering too....
    Oh right. Man, Ive been noticing lately that when Im typing long paragraphs, I'll start to "wander" type things. I think it's my subconcious doing it or something. I'll find myself actually spacing out while typing, and only to come back to reality with like a whole page, in a writing style that I dont use rofl
    Aug 7, 2008, 4:03 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #11

Oh right. Man, Ive been noticing lately that when Im typing long paragraphs, I'll start to "wander" type things. I think it's my subconcious doing it or something. I'll find myself actually spacing out while typing, and only to come back to reality with like a whole page, in a writing style that I dont use rofl
    Like this you mean....
    Aug 7, 2008, 4:04 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #12

Like this you mean....
    I was there half the time......or was I?
    Aug 7, 2008, 4:06 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #13

*cough* go give us some updates...
    Aug 7, 2008, 4:12 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #14

*cough* go give us some updates...
    The helmet is primer grey as we speak, and Im trying to get the RF cap to lay as flush as possible....

Its 4am here right now, and Im contemplating rubb and buffing my own BKBT right now....
    Aug 12, 2008, 8:05 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #15

Starting this helmet as soon as I finish my RFT later this week!
    Aug 12, 2008, 9:49 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #16

Great work so far, keep it up!

You mention Cold-Cast in the title, but I dont see a Cold cast helmet?
    Aug 12, 2008, 10:12 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #17

Ok, now show us the pics of you recasting it and selling me a copy! LOL!
    Aug 12, 2008, 11:08 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #18

Quote CGClone said: View Post
    Great work so far, keep it up!

You mention Cold-Cast in the title, but I dont see a Cold cast helmet?

It is, it was one of the "less then perfect" castings, and had to use bondo, and has a good layer of primer over it. I will not be able to use the properties of the cold cast for the silver unfortunatly
    Aug 18, 2008, 5:59 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #19

Alright, got started on this today. There needs to be much for cleaning work before I can start to paint this sucker. Needs a bit more bondo on certain areas. One thing that is annoying me so far, is the seperation line where the lower and upper cheeks meet. It appears as if someone took a really jagged knife to it, to make a line or something...I dont know, its just there.

This is going to be a CLEAN helmet, no weathering, so I have to be extra careful and precise about the lines and overall paint.

Pics to come later in the week

-TC
    Aug 19, 2008, 1:58 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #20

Hey bud,
    Those cracks at the edge of the visor slit may need some special care and attention as that area can be prone to some flexing.
    I suggest you consider bracing the cheeks with a crossbar until your ready to attach the visor. It would be a shame if those cracks 'flexed' open after painting.

Keep up the good work!

Jono
    Aug 19, 2008, 2:02 AM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #21

Quote CaptJono said: View Post
    Hey bud,
    Those cracks at the edge of the visor slit may need some special care and attention as that area can be prone to some flexing.
    I suggest you consider bracing the cheeks with a crossbar until your ready to attach the visor. It would be a shame if those cracks 'flexed' open after painting.

Keep up the good work!

Jono

Yea, Im surprised, cause it seems that the crack is incredibly shallow, and on the inside of the helmet, where the crack is on the outside, there is a large portion of bondo that's been applied there. I honestly dont think it's that bad, that it will flex. The helmet's over all thickness of fiberglass is pretty thick, the most Ive seen before.

But, I'll make sure it dosnt go anywhere
    Aug 25, 2008, 12:34 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #22

This rain is really starting to get on my nerves...Cant work anything

Hopefully this afternoon I can start to get some more work done.
    Aug 28, 2008, 4:24 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #23

Alright, well I officially got started today, with a lapse in the rain and the fact that I can use the garage for awhile. I went over the helmet again, and found only 3 critical areas that needed bondo, one being that crack on the one side, a small air pocket from the casting, and then a very small scratch that was there, on the back, under the keyslots.

Waiting for those to cure so I can sand it down, and then I will begin taping it off and prepping for paint!

-TC
    Aug 28, 2008, 4:28 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #24

Alright! Let er rip Chris, can't wait to see em!

G-Fett
    Alright, well I officially got started today, with a lapse in the rain and the fact that I can use the garage for awhile. I went over the helmet again, and found only 3 critical areas that needed bondo, one being that crack on the one side, a small air pocket from the casting, and then a very small scratch that was there, on the back, under the keyslots.

Waiting for those to cure so I can sand it down, and then I will begin taping it off and prepping for paint!

-TC
    Aug 28, 2008, 7:49 PM - Re: SoulAssassin's ILM FP CC Jango Build! #25

Quote Studio Fett said: View Post
    Alright! Let er rip Chris, can't wait to see em!

G-Fett
    Last time I let er rip, I somehow managed to clear the line at a mcdonalds..talk about fast food