Some Rub n Buff Trouble

Some Rub n Buff Trouble

I've been working on my sintra Jango chest armor the pat couple of days and I just got to rub n buff it today. It's plain sintra that I sanded with 600 grit, primed with Rustoleum professional grade primer (or something like that; it was definitely Rustoleum), I sanded that with 600 grit, and then I wet sanded with 1000 grit. When I rubbed the silver on I tried my best to imitate what Seeker did in his video tutorial, then I buffed each piece for 10 minutes with an old t-shirt and for the most part I'm pretty happy with my results.

There's just one area in the middle of the right chest piece that did not come out well. Every time I try to put more rub n buff on it just doesn't stick. There are some smudges like this on the other pieces, but they're much smaller and less prominently placed so they seem more natural I guess than this one. Can anybody help me out here with getting this one area fixed?

I helped at SDCC '08 Jango 5204's Avatar
    From
    Central, Ca

Re: Some Rub n Buff Trouble

If it won't stick, I'd wet sand it, reprime it and sand it again, then try another coat of R&B. Can't imagine why it wouldn't stick.

ok so it's essentially just a repaint? That's not too bad since this didn't take all that long.

As long as I have this posted up, is there anything else that needs to be fixed? I spent a while working on getting the curve of the plates right, but I'm not sure I nailed it so any advice there would be appreciated. Also, is it too mirrored? The buffing really brought out a nice sheen, but I don't want it to be too shiney

From
    Central, Ca

Honestly, the ab plate looks tall to me. Seems like 1/3 could be cut off the bottom. The sheen will drop off with time, weathering, and sweat. The ab plate has more of an actual bend at the edges rather than a sof curve. Seeker posted a nice pic of his Jango bust recently. I would use that as a guide.

Yea I think you're right about the extra length at the bottom. I might just remake that pieces to save the trouble of having to cut a curved piece of plastic with an exacto knife.

I think these pictures don't show the angle that I put on the belly plate that well. Hopefully the shadow in these pics will show it a bit better

I got out my heat gun and played around with the shape of the right chest with pictures of Seeker's torso mannequin and a very large picture of Jango up on my laptop and when I got finished tweaking I realized that I really hadn't changed much. The piece with the slots was left unchanged and the one without slots was changed

I also took the opportunity to accent the corners on the belly more. I think I'll keep this slightly long version right now because I have a relatively long and narrow torso so regularly proportioned armor would look a little off on me

From
    Central, Ca

Just make sure you give the right amount of space between the armor. Most of the time people tend to set their armor too close together. The girth belt will ride up well abouve your waist. Looks like you got the idea on the ab piece, I bend it forward just a touch.

From
    Queensland Australia

Hi Apollo, nice job your pieces look great
    How did you cut the slots in the left chest plate so neat and square? exacto/dremel/files??

I hadn't noticed the bigger spaces between chest plates until you mentioned it. I guess I'll have to wait until I have a vest and a girth belt to see if that extra length it needed on the bottom. Thanks for the help!

I used an exacto. I didn't want to cut them out before I bent the plastic just in case the strip in the middle got warped in some way, so I started to score the lines before bending and then finished the cuts after the piece was bent

Looks great

From
    Cheshire, UK

Looks very nice work there Apollo.
    I'm assuming the area that shows up black is down to dirt. Maybe using some acetone to remove the Rub&Buff, and clean up with methylated spirits or isopropanol. Then Rub&Buff. But I never done mine. Seeker probably ya best man to speak to.

Ok, I sanded that piece down and reapplied the silver while watching Attack of the Clones. There are a couple smudges with this one, but they are much less noticeable and I think I can chalk them up to just having beat up armor. I also did some more bending that you can see in the reflection in the first pic, and I started on the center diamond.

From
    Irvine, CA

Although you fixed the problem, what likely happened was that you got too much rub n buff in that one spot. If you put too much in one spot it tends to react like it did.

Looks great!

I don't know if this would be of interest to anyone, but I have a laser engraver and could cut the chestplates out. And, 1/8" acrylic can easily be bent to shape and takes rub n buff well.

Not sure if that would be a benefit to anyone, but if so let me know.

From
    Phoenix, AZ, USA

I too followed Seeker's video, and after I applied the RNB, the armor looked metallic, but not particularly shiny. I tried buffing it for quite a while but it didn't get anywhere. My question is this: What would you suggest I do to make it shiny? My dad suggested I use some clear car wax and then buff the wax to make it shiny. Would that work?

Paskry

How long did you buff for? I just took an old t-shirt to it for 10 minutes of vigorous buffing and they came out really very nice.

From
    Phoenix, AZ, USA

Upwards of an hour. I took it to my dad and he and I tried using a buffing disc and a power drill to see if that would do anything. The results were less than satisfactory to say the least.

Paskry

you might have used too much. I noticed that the areas where I had a lot of rub n buff were duller on my first try

From
    Phoenix, AZ, USA

I'll take some pictures and post them tonight.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Paskry; Nov 22, 2008 at 5:38 PM.

From
    Phoenix, AZ, USA

Just a bump, I uploaded the picts.

~Paskry

looks pretty good to me

From
    Phoenix, AZ, USA

Some of the silver comes off on my hands as I handle the pieces, and the camera doesn't do well trying to show the lack of shine.

From
    Irvine, CA

How much did you wetsand it and with what grit? Also, if there is a significant amount of silver rubbing off that means you used too much or you didn't buff it enough. You can try using a very soft cloth to buff off the excess and see if that helps.

From
    Phoenix, AZ, USA

I didn't wetsand... I used 400 grit and then 600 grit and three layers of primer.