Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

sintra

Re: sintra

I boiled mine after it was painted and it came out fine. It even had the industrial velcro on it. I did not keep it in the water too long.

BOBA PHAT: Would a blow dryer work?

mgr: If i do boil it, how long would you reccomend dipping each piece in. I take it you just took it right out of the hot water and shaped it to each body part? Did you place it in cold water when shaped? thanks guys

Gater-A hair dryer would work OK, but it never seems to get hot enough. I've also gotten good results with my gas stove, but it's easy to burn the edges. I say invest $20 in a heat gun, but BEWARE the high setting b/c it will turn your sintra into taffy.

From
    SouthWest, Florida

I used a heat gun too. It made working with the sintra so easy. A word of advise: apply the heat in a back & forth motion and heat the sintra on the BACKSIDE. Wear gloves too unless you don't want fingerprints anymore!

I tried the heat gun and it worked great for the bigger stuff and boiled the little stuff. boil it for as long as it takes for it to become flexible, maybe 15-30 seconds. I guess it depends on what thickness you are using. Mine was the 1/4 '' Sintra so it took a bit longer than the 1/8''. By the way, I am currently redoin my stuff in 1/8'' because the other is too thick.
    As far as cold water after shaping that is a definate yes. That is freezes the ions and sets the sintra(at least I think it freezes the ions)
    Hope that helps...

Yes, that helps alot guys. Time to get at it!

From
    Detroit, MI - The Home of Rock and Roll

Merged: Carving out Sintra?

Hello again, everyone. I just got my new chest armor pieces made from Sintra from Jodo (which look awesome BTW). I was wondering the best way to add the chest stripes on the left chest piece and the rectangle cut in the chest diamond. I was thinking about using a dremel, but Sintra when heated emits toxic gasses or so I've heard. I was also thinking about using an X-acto knife, but got scared when it came to royally messing up the pieces. Anyone have a suggestion or two?

From
    Kingman, Arizona, United States, 107964532558835, Kingman, Arizona

Merged: Re: Carving out Sintra?

I've used my dremel, no problem with toxic gases (if you use a heat gun, then you can have problems). You will need the exacto for some of it however, as well as a small file to get the corners nice and squared off.

C'mon man! I cut my first 10 sets of armor in my basement using a dremmel. Come to think of it, that would explain the dizziness, memory loss and sore throat.

For the amount of cutting involved, I would use a dremmel. I stopped cutting the slots in my armor because I never knew if people needed a certain size for a certain set of LEDs.

On that note, how does it all fit? Your's was the XL and I'm always curious how it works out for people.

From

Well, I'm working on it as we speak, and it fits perfectly! Very nice work, Jodo. I'm glad you didn't cut out slots for me, because I'm working on my Jango upgrades. BTW, are they really slots or are they more of an indentation, not a total cut out?

Mister_Fett_1975 wrote:

...are they really slots or are they more of an indentation, not a total cut out?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they're fully cut-out for Boba (chest display inserted) and only an indented detail for Jango.

From

I was thinking more of an indentation myself. As far as getting the details in, I just scored the Sintra with my exacto and carved it out, then filed the bottom and edges clean with my mini-files. After I cleaned up the edges, I used some Bondo glazing and spot putty to give the edge an even cleaner detail. I was too chicken to use my dremel because I didn't want to ruin my new armor.

I borrowed this pic from another post. Indented it is I guess.

From
    Utah

I got my armor as well from the Jodo meister. I plan on completely cutting my slots out and using an extra, larger piece of sintra, and gluing it to the back side, covering up the slots. This will eliminate having to carve, chisel, plane, or otherwise weaken the already thin material to get the look I'm after, which is two smooth indented rectangles. I plan on using this same technique for the center diamond piece. I just need to get extra sintra, lol.

In the meantime, I am enjoying dremmeling my dwedd helmet one square millimeter at a time. Dremmels rock! I have the nose area done. Working on the eye areas now. Am taking pics of my progress, though I don't know if my "close-ups" are close enough to catch the detail. I'll continue to post on my "wish me luck" thread as I go.

thunderbolt885

Merged: smallest sintra sheet?

what is the smallest/cheapest sheet i can buy of sintra that would be ebough to make a full set of armor and gauntlets?

From
    Bountiful, Utah

Merged: Re: smallest sintra sheet?

OK, I work at a sign shop and we use Sintra all the time.
    I would find a local sign shop, call 'em and ask if they have any
    scrap sintra (sometimes called expanded PVC). I'd bet they would
    give it to ya for nothing or charge you very little for it.

or

They would likely be able to order you a sheet. We would charge
    around $35 to $50 for a 4' x 8' depending on the color, thickness, etc.

If I can help you out in any other way, just let me know!

Good luck!

darksidedesign

Here's a strange fact - white 3mm Sintra is cheaper and easier to cut than black 3mm Sintra. Go with white if you are buying. Strange but true.

From
    Huntsville

I bought a 2' x 4' sheet and had enough to make all armor ecept the knees. I never did make the backplate, however, and will be using the extra section to make gauntlets. A sheet this size is about 22 bucks and you could always make armor, sell it, buy another sheet and you would then have enought to finish all the armor with gauntlets.

thunderbolt885

thanks for the info everyone!

thunderbolt885

Merged: definate sintra sheet info?

so what is the majority of you all using on fett armor? how big of a sheet would i need to buy inorder to make a set of armor and gauntlets? and how thick?1/8 inch or 3mm?, or whatever thickness you used

thanks for any info on this, i searched around and i get many many different sizes and thicknesses.so i thought i would post it

Scott

Merged: Re: definate sintra sheet info?

Well, I use .120 witch is 1/8". You could use a little thicker if you wish but .120 works vary well. I wouldn't go to much thicker though. I usually get it at usplastics.com and buy item#42485 $8.14 White Expanded PVC 24" x 48" .120" Thick. If you want to make a full set of armor you should buy two sheets that size. That would be plenty for armor and gauntlets

I can make 4 sets of armor from a 4x8 with enough for Jango legs or an extra backplate.

thunderbolt885

oh, thats cheaper than i thought thanks! how much does shipping run over at USP though?

Scott

would it be ebough for a jet pack also?

thunderbolt885

oh and is that including leg and sholder and thigh armor?and back plate? and ever other jango armor piece?

Guys ..syntra can go a long long long way if you want.