Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is saint_nasty out of his mind?!?

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

is saint_nasty out of his mind?!?

if i'm not right now, i will be soon. i begin my greatest undertaking to date: four helmets at once.

here we have three asok cold cast helmets, and all the way on the right is a cruzer cold cast dented jango

here i have the flash trimmed off the necks.

i might start sanding tonight as well. going with 120 grit to start since the asoks are a little extra bumpy this time.

Re: is saint_nasty out of his mind?!?

Can you give us a few comparison of the BKBT vs aAsok please / AND YES U MUST BE BONKERS

From
    Cookeville, TN

Can we start calling you "Sandy"?

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Have fun

How do you mount the range finder esemlbie to the to the helmet and the arm to the actual rangr findrr?

From
    North Texas

I think you could do more......why not 6 or even 7 at a time. I bet your not even going to do it by hand...you will probably use a sander and spray paint. A real man would use nothing but 800 grit sand paper (manually) and and a really small paint brush to do this.

Slacker

oh and good luck

From
    USAF Utah

jinto said: View Post
    How do you mount the range finder esemlbie to the to the helmet and the arm to the actual rangr findrr?
    The RFstalk on the asok lid slides into the earcap and is fixed it doesnt rotate like the boba...the earcap is attached with whatever u want I use bolts

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

@mulreel you know once i get past 220 it's all by hand. and come to think of it, a small paintbrush might be easier that some guys have been having with their paints not being happy with each other.

@jinto i attach the ear to the helmet with flat head machine screws. i sink two holes into the ear, just deep enough for the head of the screw to go in, then hold it in place with some 5 minute epoxy. then drill matching holes through the helmet and hold it all together with a washer and acorn nuts. and to attach the rf to the stalk, i just drill two tiny holes through the stalk and match them up to the rf and hold it all together with a pair of 5/64" flat head screws. if you would like some pics of any of this to help understand it better just let me know.

oh yeah, update. i got one of the helmets sanded down with 120 grit, and it only took two pads with my mouse sander. only four more to go, then i get to start over with 220! go meeeeee!!!!!!

*edit*

just to let everyone know who all these helmets belong to - one will be a jango with the works for jsames; weathering, padding, visor... the works! one is for asok, his will be a custom mando named vhonte thervo (i don't know who that is, but apparently she's pretty cool, and bill sent me a cd full of reference and the action figure, and after looking at rav bralor i think i've got this one on lock). the third is will be a swap with squirk and be not be weathered, he'll send back the one he got from me originally and get this one instead (look for a finished helmet in the cargo hold from me sometime soon). and the cruzer is for me, it may end up being my main trooping helmet because it's a bit larger than the asok. nothing against bills work, his helmet is descended from a screen used "hero" helmet, so i totally blame ilm for making a small bucket and temura for having a small head! lol
    Last edited by saint_nasty; Nov 15, 2010 at 9:10 AM.

From
    North Texas

I went to the 320 with the mouse sander on the last one I did, and then from 400 on up I did it by hand. So I don't have any room to talk. The small paint brush thin actually did help me out on the last helmet too. I sprayed it but used a whisper thin paint brush to touch up the cheeks and mandibles.

I bet you are one dusty dude at the end of the day.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

where did you find 320 mouse pads? all i can ever find is 220. it's not a huge deal because i go from 220 to 400. if i could find 400 grit pads i'd be a happy jango. and as for being dusty, that wasn't too bad. i was more wet than anything because i've taken to wetsanding with a mouse. i have a gallon olive jar about half full of water and an old kitchen sponge right next to me while i work. i use the scrubby side to clean the mouse pad and the soft side to remove excess dirt from the helmet and the entire time hope to god i don't electrocute myself.

From
    North Texas

I was using a quarter sheet sander so I could buy full sheets and cut them. You can't get into the corners quite as well because of the square shape, but on the open spots it came in handy.

From
    USAF Utah

taking sticky velcro to the back of your sandpaper works pretty well

Thanx S.N ive been wondering on how i shl go about it and that about covers it tho if u dont mind maby a pic on the ear cap to lid set up please
    thanx

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

yeah, i'll take a couple pix and show you what i'm talking about.

From
    Indiana

Yes Mike, you are nuts! Wait until you see what you get sent next in cold cast!

Want a hint?

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

asok said: View Post
    Yes Mike, you are nuts! Wait until you see what you get sent next in cold cast!

Want a hint?
    squeeeeeee!!!!

From
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

I am so stoked!

From
    Cheshire, UK

Madness! Look forward to seeing the build? Who the helmets for?

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

post #8 has that info. sorry, i just don't want to type it again.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

update!

it's been pretty hectic with thanksgiving and other things, but i sat down with the helmets yesterday and this morning for a bit. got some more sanding done.

they're all sanded with 120 now, and the one on the left is up to 220. i know it's been slow going so far because the initial sanding sucks, but now i'm at a point where things will start to move faster. that's jsames on the left, asoks in the middle, and squirks replacement on the right. nothing on the cruzer helmet yet because it's for me and i can put that off. and for you guys with sharp eyes, my next project is sitting behind the helmets. a jango arena pack fresh from MOW that i'll be painting up for eagc. it's my first stubby, but both he and i trust that i'm going to do good things with it.

From
    Indiana

You better get cracking.... Here in the next few months I am hopefully going to send you 2 more cold cast helmets. Just not

From
    USAF Utah

are you implying there are going to be budget fett MR CC helmets HMMMMM

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

asok said: View Post
    You better get cracking.... Here in the next few months I am hopefully going to send you 2 more cold cast helmets. Just not
    if it doesn't get too cold in indy, otherwise i'll probably be waiting until april, lol!

From
    Austin, Texas

[QUOTE=saint_nasty;521802]@jinto i attach the ear to the helmet with flat head machine screws. i sink two holes into the ear, just deep enough for the head of the screw to go in, then hold it in place with some 5 minute epoxy. then drill matching holes through the helmet and hold it all together with a washer and acorn nuts. and to attach the rf to the stalk, i just drill two tiny holes through the stalk and match them up to the rf and hold it all together with a pair of 5/64" flat head screws. if you would like some pics of any of this to help understand it better just let me know.
    Yea some pics would be nice
    Last edited by Array; Dec 5, 2010 at 9:32 PM.

From
    USAF Utah

He made a thread about this...just look for it. Very easy to do if you have the Asok helmet its super easy to attach the ear