Great job and love the tutorial!
Great job and love the tutorial!
What is that you used to cover those parts during painting? Plain Masking tape? and how did you go about getting it like you did?
Thanks everyone for there kind words.
I am very anxious to finish up the rest of
the costume now.
If any one has a good contact for a fiberglass helmet please email me privately.
As for the question about the tape...
I used two kinds of painters tape.
Both thick and thin.
I just used multiple layers to cover every inch of the
helmet I didnt want to get painted.
Dont forget to use automotive pinstripping
underneath to keep the paint lines nice a crisp!
Hope it helps!
Empire City Garrison
WOW!!! Looks like you got a winner.
Looking good Rich!!!!
You'll serve the ECG proud.
Just goes to show what a talented Mandalore can do to a Rubies Jango. Now a Rubies Boba, thats a challenge.b
I think even TK 1174 `s immense talent may struggle on that one
I just got my helmet back from Shawnpayne yesterday and here are the before and after pics. It is a heavily mocified Rubies helmet. He first tried to use some bondo on the inside to give it some weight and strength but it wouldn't stick so he lined it with fiberglass first. Still didn't feel rigth so added bondo on top of the fiberglass. He relpaced the visor (which was a royal pain), and replaced the rangefinder and antenna. Helmet was repainted and pinstripes added. Weathering was done by misting black flat spray paint from about 3 feet away then wet sanding with 400 grit sandpaper. As for the inside, 2 cooling fans were placed inside each cheek. A microphone with a female RCA line was added so the speaker system will plug into the helmet so you can take the helmet off and on and not have to worry about wires. A hard hat liner was added for it to fit better and not move around. And last but not least, a bright and colorful lining to match my personality Weel, here's the pics:
After- Much better, and a lot heavier feel to it too!
Here's what the inside looks like:
Looks great Mirax! A very definite improvement on the Rubies helmet, congrats to you and shawnpane.
When the costume is ready we hope you'll pay us all a visit up here Nothing quite like trooping the strip
Very nice Mirax.
He does a great job of weathering.
Oh yeah! WAAAAAY Better Bucket!!
Looks like something you can be very proud of!
Darn nice job!
Mirax, how about a little more info on your speaker/mic setup?
Thanks gang. And I definitely am looking forward to trying to get up there for some troopin on the strip JMP. As for the mic questions, you'll have to ask Shawn. I am clueless when it comes to electronics, hence my reason for having him do it for me
Okay! Thanks Mirax!
it mazing what can be done with a rubies and a lot of hard work.
like the interior, maybe you could do a custome with that colour scheme on the outside grooovy fett
looks good.... can't wait to see it on you
Lets see uhmm needs more weathering?
That looks great!
Its nice to see what can be done w/ a Rubies bucket...
And for only costing me $35 (plus a slave leia costume) it ain't too bad and will certainly do until I decide to upgrade.
WOW!!! Be proud to sport that RUBIES!!!
Looks like you got one heck of a Rubies there Mirax. Now lets see a pic with you in that with your armor on.
looks great.cant even tell its a rubies.
how did you get the flare?
Huge,Huge,Pain in the ass.
This may sound kind A funny(like the sweater bckplate and blowtorch)I taped A couple of pencils togather.I used themto hold the shape of the helmet while I lined with fiberglass.
Once the fiber was dried.Moved the pencils to do the other parts of the helmet.The flair was the hardest thing to do.
Make sure the flair is were you want it then,Duct tape the pencils to hold them in place.It worked for me.The next hardest pain in the ass is the visor.Oh dear god.All I could think is what did I get myself into.I don't know who first
tried to hot glue the visor in the helmet.But thank you.I used
hot glue to first hold the visor in place.Then can you say two part epoxy? (I knew you could)To make it secure.I must admit that the inside did not turn out as cleen as I had hoped
But hell it's A rubbies.To me space insid the bucket was A little tight.I just hope mirax is thrilled.I know I am with my
slave costume.I would post some pics of he slave costume.But I am A little hairy,and buldge in some spots.Besides,There are
children you visit here.With all the injustice in the world.I don't want to scar them for life.lol
I found out the hard way,Bondo does not stick to rubbies.Use
fiberglass.Then use bondo.I hot glued the visor in place.Then ued the two part epoxy.
Actually, I didn't feel cramped at all inside of it at all, just can't see worth a darn. But I have to say, it actually feels heavy on my head now, much much heavier and sturdier than how it started. I think it is a great example of what can be done with a Rubies, they aren't complete junk and I'm very happy with it I will definitely post pics of me in it once my armor is done and attached- very soon
I didn't mean snug to wear.Snug to get big hands inside.It was A real pain in the ass doing the liner.But hell I didn't want to take all the fun out of it for ya mirax,ha ha.Just enjoy.