Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 15, 2012, 4:10 PM - Resin MR Westars okay? #1

Hey all. I was considering doing a few resin Westar-34s based off the MR. If they come out well I was thinking about making some available. I just wanted to check if this is still considered ok? I'm not sure what the interest level is, but I thought it would be a fun one to do.

Cheers.
    Oct 15, 2012, 6:54 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #2

since master replicas only did the jango blasters in limited numbers, and also that MR is no longer in business, making resin copies of them would fall into the gray "acceptable" area of recasting. i hope it works out well for you, i recently tried offering aluminum replicas of MR jango blasters but there just wasn't any interest.
    Oct 15, 2012, 7:50 PM - Resin MR Westars okay? #3

I would be interested in having a set as long as they came out good. I cringe at the thought of ruining my MR Westars while trooping.
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app
    Oct 16, 2012, 2:37 AM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #4

Quote Vultana said: View Post
    I would be interested in having a set as long as they came out good. I cringe at the thought of ruining my MR Westars while trooping.
    I would be curious if anyone has ever ruined their MR Westars while trooping? I guess it depends on how you define "ruin". If by getting some scratches on them, then I guess mine are ruined
    Oct 16, 2012, 10:35 AM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #5

nah, they're weathered
  6. Oct 16, 2012, 11:47 AM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #6

I would be down for a set. I currently use a modified set of Rubies, which do NOT fit well into CRUZER'S holsters (difficult to quick-draw). My MRs stay under their case!!

Jason
    Oct 16, 2012, 1:32 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #7

I just noticed that the first thing the kids want to do is "hold the gun". I'm not so sure I would hand over my MR Westars like I do my Verp. My verp is built like a tank and already weathered. My MR's stay in their case and are appropriately worshiped
    Oct 16, 2012, 5:08 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #8

Cool, thanks for replies. I'm going to give it a go. Gathering supplies...
    Oct 18, 2012, 10:20 AM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #9

Let us know when you get a cost in mind. I am interested in a pair as a back up
    Oct 18, 2012, 1:07 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #10

Will do. For now, I'm expecting a delivery today that should allow me to get started. I've already started some of the prep work. With a little luck I hope to get through the first stages by the end of the week. I'll have to see how that goes first, and then hopefully I can get a better sense of material cost and such.
    Oct 20, 2012, 11:27 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #11

Lots of little nooks and crannies but I am trying this in one piece. I finished the mold box and the first half is underway. Hoping it works out, this clay was pretty tacky.

Oct 21, 2012, 1:13 AM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #12

where are you going to put the pour and vent holes?
    Oct 21, 2012, 2:06 AM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #13

Quote saint_nasty said: View Post
    where are you going to put the pour and vent holes?
    In the end of the barrel. I have the pour one in there. I am going to try putting a small tube in alongside the funnel to vent. I think that will work but if it gives me problems I will poke another hole through. Looking at the shape, I think I will have the least problems with trapped bubbles with the barrel up. I also didn't want air getting trapped at the tip of the barrel so I filled it to the end. A bit more work to drill it out a bit but I thought that would be better than an air pocket.
    Oct 23, 2012, 1:56 AM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #14

Well, as I thought the clay I used was miserable to remove. It was a near loss. I had to demold and clean everything thoroughly before molding the second side. I was able to save it though and just did a test casting.

Here is my first stab at it. There is a bit of clean up/finishing needed. Some may also be technique which I will work on. Most of the seamline came out great but I had an issue with the seam being off a few mm on the tip on the barrel, so I need to check into that. I think that it is correctable though (should have put one more registration key). I don't have a vacuum so there is a bit of small bubbles here and there. Nothing major but I am picky. I am going to toss it around tomorrow to test the durability. Should be really good for it's purpose once finished, but you guys can be the judge.

Last edited by ShocKWavE; Oct 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM.
  15. Oct 23, 2012, 10:49 AM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #15

I think it looks AWESOME!!! Great Job. I am MOST DEFINITELY in for a pair!!!!!
    Oct 23, 2012, 2:19 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #16

Yeah, I'd be in for a pair as well.
    Oct 23, 2012, 3:37 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #17

Hey guys. Ok. I am still working on a bit of quality control here and doing a few more tests. It's been raining here the last few days and air humidity can be a contributing factor so I am probably going to wait for a day or so of sun. Still working on the seam on the barrel too. I think it's a result of having to demold half way through. That was a major bummer but I just added another key to see if that helps with the alignment. I also added a gray tint so they should look better if scratched up. I was thinking something like $50 per pistol. I really want to tighten up these couple items though as best I can. I wish I could teleport some sci-fire guys in or something for a day of assistance. Cheers.

Oct 23, 2012, 4:14 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #18

that is looking really good bro
    Oct 23, 2012, 4:51 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #19

Thanks
    Oct 23, 2012, 6:03 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #20

Those look good and the price point sounds like it will hit the spot.
    Oct 23, 2012, 10:21 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #21

Thank you. This project has become a mini troublemaker though. I pulled the last trial out for the day and it was the first one I was pretty happy with. Unfortunately, in pulling it, I also ripped off one of the little nubs that go into one of the six holes on the barrel. Not good. So, once again trying to salvage. I'm not sure about this one though. Currently gluing silicone with silicone. Just one of those days. I'll have to check it in 24 hours to see if it is ruined or not. Sigh.
    Last edited by ShocKWavE; Oct 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM.
    Oct 24, 2012, 10:18 AM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #22

I would be happy to be your first customer for a set of these babies.
  23. Oct 24, 2012, 7:04 PM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #23

I think that is a TOTALLY fair price for a great looking product!! If you couldn't tell, several of us are "chomping at the bit" to get our hands on a set of these.....and get our MR's back in their cases!!! LOL!!! Great Job!!!
    Oct 24, 2012, 7:17 PM - Resin MR Westars okay? #24

I'm actually very interested in these!
    Oct 25, 2012, 5:27 AM - Re: Resin MR Westars okay? #25

I'd potentially be very keen for a set of these!