Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jul 9, 2003, 3:03 PM - Merged: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #76

Hey, cats and kittens.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's successfully painted one of the HandSchaub metal helmets, specifically a Jango.

Can you share how you did yours? I've never really painted anything before and could use all the tips and tricks I can get.

Thanks,
    Jul 9, 2003, 5:49 PM - Merged: Re: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #77

Hey squirk! It just so happens that I am finishing my helmet TONIGHT!!! I will post pics and help you out. I know that SEEKER has painted a fantastic Jango as well and he has color recomendations and a mini tutorial on a thread that helped me out. Until later...
  3. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Jul 9, 2003, 8:03 PM - Merged: Re: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #78

I could use some tips as well. Even though it's not Fett, I have a lot of R2 parts that are aluminum. I've heard its difficult to paint. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the slight hijack.
    Jul 11, 2003, 12:03 AM - Merged: Re: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #79

No, no. No hijack. The fact that the helmet is metal is exactly what I'm concerned about.

What do you use for primer? Self-etching? Regular primer? No primer at all?

Do you coat the Krylon or Rustoleum with anything in particular? Or is the paint durable enough without the need for a clearcoat of some kind?

What about the dome? Do you need to prep the dome with anything for solid pinstripe placement? Anything you can/should place over the pinstripes to keep them in place?

Questions, questions.....

Jul 11, 2003, 2:14 AM - Merged: Re: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #80

Sorry - no picture yet. I cleaned the helmet using a brillo soap pad. This will get rid of the dirt and oils. I taped off the bare metal parts and gave a coat of the 'clean metal primer' from a can. This is new/clean metal so it works well. I then paited the entire colored areas the light visor color. I let it sit for three days to make sure it was dry. I then taped off the rest and hit the dark areas. I let it sit for a few days again so to not disturp the paint. BTY I used Rust-O-leom bewcaase they had the colors I liked.

That's the hard part. The pinstripe is just hobby pinstripping that can be applied with no prep. After it is in place a put a tiny spot of super glue at the ends so it doesn't curl up. I weather it with acrylic paints using black and raw umber. The acrylic paint film will help seal the pinstriping further. The visor is a welding mask cut to size and held in using metal putty. I should have a piture up tomorrow... seriously this time
    Jul 11, 2003, 8:41 AM - Merged: Re: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #81

Looking forward to seeing pics Brian!!!
  7. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Jul 11, 2003, 10:06 PM - Merged: Re: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #82

So there's no special paint or prepping that needs to be done? Just sand, prime & paint as usual?
    Jul 12, 2003, 11:45 AM - Merged: Re: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #83

best thing I can say is make sure the metal is clean before painting. Thus far I haven't had any problems with the few I painted.
    Jul 12, 2003, 9:44 PM - Merged: Re: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #84

HS - I used a Brillo too, and while doing so did bring a uniform coloring/finish to the helmet, it also dulled it a bit. Not horribly, but it's not as shiny as I would like.

What would you advise to bring back the reflectiveness?
    Jul 13, 2003, 1:18 AM - Merged: Re: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #85

buff - then buff some more. Some metal rubbing compound will help too. It will seem more shiny when painted as well. I actually left mine a somewhat raw wire wheeled finish which is duller than high buff but at least it's consistant. I'll take a few pics of my helmet now so I can show more clearly...
    Jul 13, 2003, 2:57 AM - Merged: Re: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #86

Hand-Schaub wrote:

It will seem more shiny when painted as well.
    What am I missing in that sentence? I'm not painting the silver areas. We're just buffing them to a shine, right?

Do you mean that the blue areas will look shiny with the gloss paint?
    Jul 13, 2003, 3:27 AM - Merged: Re: Painting the HS aluminum helmet #87

squirk wrote:

Hand-Schaub wrote:

It will seem more shiny when painted as well.
    What am I missing in that sentence? I'm not painting the silver areas. We're just buffing them to a shine, right?

Do you mean that the blue areas will look shiny with the gloss paint?
    Just implying that the contrast between the painted areas (being darker) and the bare metal will make the bare metal seem shinier - optically
    Aug 28, 2003, 4:21 AM - Merged: I needs me some painting help! #88

It seems like every time I try to add a second coat to anything, the surface seems to acquire a kind of bumpy texture to it. This is even more obvious when using Rustoleum Metallic Finish as it is reflective, and thus the bumps can be seen easier. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to avoid it?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Aug 28, 2003, 12:41 PM - Merged: Re: I needs me some painting help! #89

I am assuming you are talking for Jango? Mine is very similar and I just posted briefly about the steps. Check this thread, 6th post.....

http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=6509&forum=4

I'm thinking that Metallic paint is your problem, and you need to wetsand the surface for prep. If you want to continue with the Metallic Rustoleum, I don't think you can sand it so your surface and technique have to be really good. Most of the Metallics turn grey when sanded. The Krylon Dull Aluminum is different and wetsands well if you need to (320 grit/lightly). Plus, it really doesn't matter if the wetsand takes some of that paint because the Rub n Buff corrects it. It took me re-preping my bucket 3 or 4 times before I figured it out. Also, don't expect the surface to look flawless if you go this route. Buff in small light circles. It doesn't all look right until it's weathered. That's my advice. Good luck.
    Aug 28, 2003, 1:56 PM - Merged: Re: I needs me some painting help! #90

Awesome helmet and armor, man! Yup, I'm making a Jango and I'm definitely going to use your techniques! Where do you get krylon dull aluminum? I hear it's difficult to find. Also, how many coats of primer and aluminum are you using? One last question (I promise! ), do you know if clear enamel or lacquer would stick on a RnB'd surface?

Thanks for your help!

Aug 28, 2003, 2:00 PM - Merged: Re: I needs me some painting help! #91

I was planning on going the same route you did, but was
    warned of the potential problems with chrome/silver/metallic
    paints. So, I didn't paint on mine at all. Strictly Rub 'n Buff.
    I primed it first then sanded it a ton. Then applied
    the Rub 'n Buff. I am more than thrilled with the results!

before weathering:

after weathering:

Seeker gave some terrific instructions on the best way to apply the Rub 'n Buff.
    Here's the link to that thread:
    http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=5460&forum=9

Good luck!

darksidedesign

Aug 28, 2003, 3:02 PM - Merged: Re: I needs me some painting help! #92

The Dull Aluminum is kind of hard to find. I had to order a box of 6 online but I don't remember the store. I received it in a few days. As far as coats, thats hard to say because I apply several very light coats. I never paint full coverage in one coat. I mist it thin, wait a few minutes, mist it, wait, etc etc...once its fairly well covered I give it one more light overall blast. Probably the equivalent of a few coats for each. Darkside is right you can skip the Dull Aluminum if you want but I chose to have something over the primer and under the RnB that had a good alloy look. Whatever you do, just made sure the surface is nice and smooth.

As far as the clearcoat sticking on the RnB....I've heard different stories but I'd guess that in the long run it wouldn't hold too well. The RnB acts as a paint protectant though so it's not really nessesary. For the colored areas, I did use a clear satin Krylon coat, but I masked off all of the areas that I wanted to RnB when I did. Clear on the RnB may also change the appearance, so I would test it on scrap.
    Aug 28, 2003, 5:30 PM - Merged: Re: I needs me some painting help! #93

Great helmet, darkside!
    Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll try to take some progress pics.

You guys have empowered me! I feel a new sense of confidence I've not had in a long time! Why do I have to be stuck at work at a time like this?! Grrrr... (
    Aug 29, 2003, 5:48 AM - Merged: Re: I needs me some painting help! #94

There are a lot of great minds around here....I learned from everyone else. Kinda the whole apprentice to master cycle
    Aug 29, 2003, 1:47 PM - Merged: Re: I needs me some painting help! #95

Heh. The circle is now complete! Well, maybe not.
    One more question for you if I may. Seeker says to apply the RnB to the entire surface of the dome and buff it. In your experience, does applying only a little at a time yield better results? Is it easier to manage that way?

Thanks again!

Aug 29, 2003, 2:26 PM - Merged: Re: I needs me some painting help! #96

I found that it dried too quickly to put on the whole surface
    at once. I did it in small sections. 3 or 4 inches at a time.
    Then once the whole surface was covered and buffed for the
    most part, I buffed the whole thing again, blending in any
    uneven spots.

My arm felt like it was going to fall off when I was done.
    Plus my hands were super shiney, kinda like the T-1000.

Good luck and be sure to post pics of your progress.

darksidedesign

Aug 29, 2003, 8:15 PM - Merged: Re: I needs me some painting help! #97

Agreed. You'll know once you mess with it....I use a very small amount at a time. You'll notice that all the Jango's have really buff arms...RnB
    Sep 25, 2003, 12:00 AM - Merged: Jango Paint question..... Color/clearcoat #98

Did all you jangos clearcoat your gauntlets?? So far all the silver/chrome colors i have tested have turned grey after clearcoat. I am now using duplicolor auto paint, and clear so i am hoping it will come out nice. I really want a clearcoat on these to keep them from chipping and stuff. LMK what you did or tried and how it worked

thanks for the input
    dan
    Sep 25, 2003, 12:10 AM - Merged: Re: Jango Paint question..... Color/clearcoat #99

I used Rub n Buff...no clearcoat.
  25. Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    Sep 25, 2003, 11:37 AM - Merged: Re: Jango Paint question..... Color/clearcoat #100

Ditto