Subscribe
  1. runJEDIrun's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    850
    Feb 13, 2008, 11:50 AM - Painting Jango Blasters #1

    I just had a question about painting the blasters. I initially thought to use rub n buff but the more i think about it, the more i see it getting on the gloves over time with heat and such. Are people spray painting it metallic silver?? I am getting the resin kit because of my budget and they look to be the most accurate to me. Would i just sand these down, assemble, prime then spray paint? again i am just worried about the paint rubbing off and transferring to the gloves.

    here they are:
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Jang...2924558&sr=8-3

    just curious as to what everyone else was doing that didnt already have nice metal ones help a poor guy out!
  2. Foxbatkllr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,566
    Feb 13, 2008, 12:02 PM - Re: Painting Jango Blasters #2

    You could try Alclad II Chrome paint.
  3. ItsThatGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,056
    Feb 13, 2008, 12:55 PM - Re: Painting Jango Blasters #3

    I ran across this thread yesterday: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...mium+Metallics

    Hope it helps.
  4. Jango72's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    Feb 13, 2008, 1:04 PM - Re: Painting Jango Blasters #4

    I've gone over this topic with another member of my squad who's an artist and pro model painter. He advised against the Alclad II paint as it's more ment for display purposes, so won't hold up to trooping or being handled.

    His sugestion to me was to simply buy/use the Tamiya chrome paint. Once layered over a gloss black undercoat, you'll get that lovely chrome look. Then you can hit it with a top coat to seel it. ( I'm thinking of using future floor wax to top coat mine as it's non-yellowing and very durable. )


    I just finished taking a look at that post you lilnked to over on the RPF, and I'm now thinking that I'll give that paint a try on my blasters instead. Thanks for the link Tony.
    Last edited by Jango72; Feb 13, 2008 at 1:12 PM.
  5. runJEDIrun's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    850
    Feb 13, 2008, 1:55 PM - Re: Painting Jango Blasters #5

    Quote ItsThatGuy said: View Post
    I ran across this thread yesterday: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...mium+Metallics

    Hope it helps.
    thanks tony i will definitely check that out.

    Quote Jango72 said: View Post
    I've gone over this topic with another member of my squad who's an artist and pro model painter. He advised against the Alclad II paint as it's more ment for display purposes, so won't hold up to trooping or being handled.

    His sugestion to me was to simply buy/use the Tamiya chrome paint. Once layered over a gloss black undercoat, you'll get that lovely chrome look. Then you can hit it with a top coat to seel it. ( I'm thinking of using future floor wax to top coat mine as it's non-yellowing and very durable. )


    I just finished taking a look at that post you lilnked to over on the RPF, and I'm now thinking that I'll give that paint a try on my blasters instead. Thanks for the link Tony.
    Hey jango, is the tamiya chrome paint a spray paint?
  6. Jango72's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    746
    Feb 13, 2008, 2:42 PM - Re: Painting Jango Blasters #6

    The Tamiya acrylics are available in both bottle and spray formats... so you should be able to find it, but I'll check into it.
  7. JDFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    997
    Feb 13, 2008, 10:07 PM - Re: Painting Jango Blasters #7

    Quote ItsThatGuy said: View Post
    I ran across this thread yesterday: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...mium+Metallics

    Hope it helps.

    dang...krylon does it again eh? I'll be doing my resin blasters in that stuff for sure! thanks for the info tony!

    i still plan on replcing the main barrel part with a chome tube, but this stuff will help match the suppressor and the back end!
  8. ItsThatGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,056
    Feb 13, 2008, 10:10 PM - Re: Painting Jango Blasters #8

    I haven't used it myself - but from what I hear it's pretty good for the price.
  9. Jango_Pat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    22
    Feb 14, 2008, 2:23 AM - Re: Painting Jango Blasters #9

    Dang, now that Krylon stuff is NICE.

    Think it's a little too shiny for Jango's armor? (not to hijack or anything)
  10. Foxbatkllr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,566
    Feb 14, 2008, 12:36 PM - Re: Painting Jango Blasters #10

    It's the wrong kind of shine. Rub n Buff is the way to go.

    Please don't take this personally, this a general gripe of mine. Time and time again I've seen people try all sorts of different paint methods. Everyone is always looking for something "better" than Rub n Buff. I'm here to tell you there is nothing better. Nothing matches Jango's armor better than Rub n Buff when done properly (other than Cold Cast). This comes from lots of experience with both studying the costume and having cold cast items in hand (including some made for the production of AOTC).
  11. Jango_Pat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    22
    Feb 14, 2008, 7:08 PM - Re: Painting Jango Blasters #11

    No offense taken. At least I learned before doing the wrong thing though... so thanks.
  12. runJEDIrun's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    850
    Feb 14, 2008, 7:23 PM - Re: Painting Jango Blasters #12

    if any gets a chance to use the krylon on their blasters post em here please!

Similar Threads

  1. Jango Blasters
    By ClearCaseMan in forum Jango Fett Costume
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Sep 24, 2009, 10:07 PM
  2. Jango Blasters
    By ItsThatGuy in forum Jango Fett Costume
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Sep 20, 2007, 6:41 PM
  3. Different Jango blasters?
    By Z-man12 in forum Jango Fett Costume
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sep 4, 2007, 10:36 PM
  4. Jango Blasters - Which ones?
    By Z-man12 in forum Jango Fett Costume
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 11, 2007, 3:46 PM