Subscribe
    Nov 19, 2006, 12:11 AM - Opinions needed on Jango bucket #1

hey guys, i put this on ebay and got a non paying bidder won the auction.
    So I decided to keep this helmet and make it as accurrate as possible.
    Can I apply rub and buff without taking the silver paint off? Any other recomendations? Would you reccomend a whole new paint job?
    Should I cut the vents out in the back??

http://home.comcast.net/~creel78/jango8.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~creel78/jango7.jpg
  2. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Nov 19, 2006, 12:21 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #2

what make is that? I think I saw your auction today or yesterday...
    Nov 19, 2006, 12:38 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #3

It is a first Generation cast of a Don Post deluxe with no shrinkage. It's fiberglass. I got it 3 years ago from a board member....
    The bidder met my reserve, bid twice to meet it, and then wont even email me back.
  4. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Nov 19, 2006, 1:20 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #4

sand down the silver until its smooth (SMOOTH) and then apply the rub n buff
    Nov 19, 2006, 2:31 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #5

sand it down until its smooth, but not all the way down correct? where can i find rub n buff?
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Nov 19, 2006, 2:43 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #6

wal-mart i think,micheals..not sure
    Nov 19, 2006, 9:44 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #7

You can find rubb and buff at Micheals.

-tubachris
    Nov 21, 2006, 5:44 PM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #8

Don't forget to mod the ear, and drill the hole in the cheek.
    Nov 22, 2006, 12:13 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #9

OK with the rubnbuff, can I rubnbuff over the pinstriping? If it doesnt cover it completley, then it would give me a outline to re apply it? will it stick to the rubnbuff?

Ill do some research on the earpiece, if there is a tutorial please post a link.
    Nov 22, 2006, 1:36 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #10

Don't rub n buff over the pinstripe. You will want to completely sand down the helmet, re-primer it and then resand it before applying rub n buff. Otherwise you won't get a nice, smooth finish.
    Nov 22, 2006, 6:41 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #11

Quote Foxbatkllr said: View Post
    Don't rub n buff over the pinstripe. You will want to completely sand down the helmet, re-primer it and then resand it before applying rub n buff. Otherwise you won't get a nice, smooth finish.

Yup... That pretty much says it all... On the second sanding, use 800-1000 grit and wet sand it (black sandpaper). It'll come out as smooth as a piece of glass. Makes the rnb look much nicer. Just don't sand all the way through the paint.

EDIT-

BTW, if you post a pic of the ear assembly, I can try to help you figure out what you'll have to do to make it into a Jango ear.
    Last edited by Devilstar2k2; Nov 22, 2006 at 6:48 AM.
    Nov 22, 2006, 7:13 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #12

All that he would need to do to make it a Jango earcap is lower the whole RF assembly so that it sits on top of the lower earcap.

-tubachris
    Nov 22, 2006, 7:19 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #13

Thats the thing... Depending on how the ear is, he may have to add a block (like I did) to extend the ear base. Otherwise, its still just gonna be a Boba ear with the cap on lower. For example, my ear base is molded into the helmet, its not a seperate piece. By adding vertical length to the base, the ear now appears closed. Know what I mean?
    Nov 22, 2006, 7:29 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #14

Quote Devilstar2k2 said: View Post
    Thats the thing... Depending on how the ear is, he may have to add a block (like I did) to extend the ear base. Otherwise, its still just gonna be a Boba ear with the cap on lower. For example, my ear base is molded into the helmet, its not a seperate piece. By adding vertical length to the base, the ear now appears closed. Know what I mean?
    From what I see in the picture, it appears as if you wouldnt have to extend anything. If you look at the width of the RF assembly and the width of the lower earcap, they are almost identical and it should not be an issue with having to extend anything. All that I feel he needs to do is just lower it.

-tubachris
    (who proposes the idea that possibly in the "real" world of star wars, that the RF assembly is adjustable just like a saftey belt in a car is, you know, like that little sliding thing to adjust it to your height?)
    Nov 22, 2006, 7:40 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #15

If the base is attached to the helmet, how will he lower the base? He'll still have a big square hole there, no matter if he moves the cap or not. Thats why I said that I need to see the ear assembly. If the base is molded to the helmet (like a mystery helmet), and not a seperate piece, he will have to add a block. Trust me, I just did this to my helmet... lol...

If the whole assembly is seperate; base, cap, and rf post, then yes, just lowering it will work. Like I said, I want a pic of it to determine what has to be done.

EDIT-

This is the piece that I'm talking about... Its different on some Boba helmets, sometimes its molded to the helmet, and sometimes its a seperate piece. If thats part of the helmet, it'll be much easier to close the gap by simply gluing a block under it. I mean technically, its still not correct by even doing that, but then again, the cheeks are also wrong, so I don't think the short cut will matter much.

Last edited by Devilstar2k2; Nov 22, 2006 at 8:04 AM.
    Nov 22, 2006, 12:24 PM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #16

that piece is seperate, I attached it using a quarter inch sheet metal screw through the helmet
    Nov 22, 2006, 12:51 PM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #17

Quote Devilstar2k2 said: View Post
    If the base is attached to the helmet, how will he lower the base? He'll still have a big square hole there, no matter if he moves the cap or not. Thats why I said that I need to see the ear assembly. If the base is molded to the helmet (like a mystery helmet), and not a seperate piece, he will have to add a block. Trust me, I just did this to my helmet... lol...

If the whole assembly is seperate; base, cap, and rf post, then yes, just lowering it will work. Like I said, I want a pic of it to determine what has to be done.

EDIT-

This is the piece that I'm talking about... Its different on some Boba helmets, sometimes its molded to the helmet, and sometimes its a seperate piece. If thats part of the helmet, it'll be much easier to close the gap by simply gluing a block under it. I mean technically, its still not correct by even doing that, but then again, the cheeks are also wrong, so I don't think the short cut will matter much.

Well I thought you meant physically extending the earcap outwards, not because of a possible hole in the helmet itself. What I thought you meant was making the earcaps thicker. As we now know, its a seperate piece, and what he could do now, is just lower it, and fill the hole where it previously would be, and put bondo to fill it, and repaint it.

-tubachris
    Nov 22, 2006, 10:35 PM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #18

Nah, I didn't mean extending them out... I meant extending it down, but if it is seperate, then it doesn't matter anyway.
    Nov 23, 2006, 12:28 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #19

how are the cheeks wrong? thanks for the help guys!
    Nov 23, 2006, 12:58 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #20

Pretty sure that Jango's are squared off at the top corners... And it needs to have a little hole just about where the Borden thingy used to be.
    Last edited by Devilstar2k2; Nov 23, 2006 at 1:03 AM.
    Nov 23, 2006, 11:46 PM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #21

Quote dark1rises said: View Post
    how are the cheeks wrong? thanks for the help guys!
    Nothing is wrong with the cheeks. I will say that at the top of the cornors of the cheeks, where the two different blue colors meet, it needs to be squared, not rounded like yours is right now. Can be easliy fixed.

-tubachris
    Nov 25, 2006, 1:42 AM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #22

I see what youre saying. I think its the way the deluxe is made. It might take a dab of bondo to fix that.
    Nov 28, 2006, 5:53 PM - Re: Opinions needed on Jango bucket #23

OK I lowered the rangefinder, and the appearance was dramatic. It truly looks more look jango now. Whenever i wathced ep 2 I would say my rangefinder looks off a little, but didnt know how.
    However, I Think alot of retouching is going to be neccessary around the top of the rangefinder. should i leave it silver and pepper it with black paint for a weathered look, since thats what Im going for anyway?