Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Dec 2002
    Jan 19, 2003, 6:10 PM - Re: Official Thread - Holster and Ammo Belt #76

Hey, may I ask a question??? Soju and I went out yesterday and picked up some shoe leather at the leather factory...he's given me the job of making his pouch belt, and I feel I have the templates cut just right, but I'm facing a dilemma in glueing on the side pieces. You said that you attached by "wetforming" and rubber cement. Could you give me some pointers regarding wetforming? How long do you soak the leather? Is there any special technique? Do you cement while it's still wet? Thanks for your help!
    Mar 18, 2003, 9:31 AM - Re: Official Thread - Holster and Ammo Belt #77

Well, took a little breather from my Boba pouches, after I got my new guns, and decided that it was about time to perfect my holsters, to match the guns of perfection!
    I joined the holster pieces directly to the braided belt, now I've got one less belt to worry about.
    The thing I really like about this, is that the guns fit in snug, and won't fall out, even if you turn it upside down.
  3. jonjets
    Apr 11, 2003, 11:40 PM - Re: Official Thread - Holster and Ammo Belt #78

if anyone would like the ammo pouch template,email me......jonjets_@hotmail.com
    Jul 13, 2003, 8:22 PM - Merged: Jango Upgrades #79

Working on some major and minor upgrades for Dragon Con. Here's some pics of my new ammo belt that I made (compared to the old) and my holster belt that I made a few changes on so it fit me better and was more screen accurate. Also is a picture of my totally completed MLC jet pack. Special thanks to Mardon, Rex, Vince, Ely, and Arturo for their various contributions. There are a bunch more pics of my pack on my site as well.

If anyone is interested in my old ammo belt, please pm me

Jul 13, 2003, 10:36 PM - Merged: Re: Jango Upgrades #80

Very nice!

Hey what color dye did you use for the new pouch belt?

love that color. it looks honey brown or something.

Thanks
    Turo
    Jul 14, 2003, 12:29 AM - Merged: Re: Jango Upgrades #81

I used Tandy dark brown- 2 coats (it took way too many coats of just the medium brown on the holster straps to get it dark), then the Tandy medium brown- about 4 coats, then a paper towel with some black acrylic paint and wiped them down. I liked the color too- not so red like the old one. It doesn't exactly match my holsters but it's close enough.
    Jul 14, 2003, 9:13 AM - Merged: Re: Jango Upgrades #82

Nice work Mirax.

Are the symbols on your JP decals
    or painted on? If decals...where'd
    you get 'em?

Jul 14, 2003, 4:06 PM - Merged: Re: Jango Upgrades #83

Those are Vash's decals
    Aug 9, 2003, 11:14 PM - Re: Official Thread - Holster and Ammo Belt #84

For all those that made their own belts:

I need the widths of all the belt blanks and strips for the Jango belts.

Girth Belt - what kind of braidable leather strips did you guys use?
    Ammo Belt - what width is the belt blank?
    Holster - what width leather strips for all the holster pieces?
    Pouches, Holsters - what kind of leather do I get?

Thanks,
    Sean
  10. AmericanNash
    Aug 9, 2003, 11:29 PM - Re: Official Thread - Holster and Ammo Belt #85

I ordered the Rubies Blasters and Holsters set today, and they should be here in 7-10 days. So I'll finally let everyone know what the quality is, etc.
  11. Aug 15, 2003, 1:40 PM - Re: Official Thread - Holster and Ammo Belt #86

anyone yet to know the quality of the rubies holsters??
  12. AmericanNash
    Aug 15, 2003, 9:44 PM - Re: Official Thread - Holster and Ammo Belt #87

I got the Rubie's holsters today. They're pretty good, in terms of durability and size. They are separated into 3 pieces.

1- the belt that goes around the waist.
    2- the right holster
    3- the left holster

The belt that goes around the waist has two velcro straps hanging off the sides (about the outside of your thigh, let's call them A), where you velcro the holsters to. It also has the little silver part of the codpiece in front, with two metal loops on either end (call it B).

The holsters have 3 straps coming off them. One attachs to the strap hanging off the main belt (A) with velcro, the other loops through one of the metal loops (B), and fastens with velcro. The third strap is a thin one that goes around your thigh, it's about half-an-inch wide, and fastens with velcro.

Size-wise, the waist belt is actually pretty big. I'm a size 36 waist and it could go comfortably bigger than that. I'd guess 40. It fastens with velcro. The fastener for the thigh, on the bottom of the holster, is a bit snug on my thigh (then again, I have big legs), but should work for everybody.

The material is a vinyl, and is pretty solid, just needs to be re-painted. I'm saying a couple coats of spray paint, some shoe polish, etc.

Everything fastening with velcro is a bit lame, so, I'd suggest either fastening it with the velcro, then sewing it together to fortify the connection, or somehow installing your own buckles/loops to connect it another way.

I would post pictures, but, my camera is out of action.

Oh, the blasters that come with it are very nice. The tip is bright orange, and needs to be painted, but, other than that, really nice job on them.

I'll give you information as I get it, folks.
    Aug 21, 2003, 7:26 PM - Merged: Where do you buy leather? #88

Hey guys,

I'm a relative newb around these parts, so maybe this question has already been answered, but where do you buy leather? I've tried the leatherfactory.com, but all their pics seem to be dead at this point.
    Also, what kind of leather do you need for Jango's holsters, belts, straps, pouches, etc.?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  14. Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    Aug 21, 2003, 9:05 PM - Merged: Re: Where do you buy leather? #89

Looks like they just changed their site layout. I bet they will have pics soon. In the meantime, try www.tandyleather.com - they are both owned by the same company.
    Aug 21, 2003, 9:47 PM - Merged: Re: Where do you buy leather? #90

Thanks, Mirax! Great site!
    What kind of leather would be best? Rawhide? Top Grain? Based on the description, "Tanners Select Chap Side Brown" seems good, but it doesn't have a photo. Leather seems pretty expensive, so I want to make sure I get the right one!

Much appreciated!

16. Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    Aug 21, 2003, 11:52 PM - Merged: Re: Where do you buy leather? #91

You're welcome. I believe what I bought for my pouches is the single shoulder 4-5oz. here: http://www.tandyleather.com/products...3&pagenumber=4

Very little waste on that piece, and a nice size. Can easily make 2 sets of pouches. Could cut straps for the holsters from it. It has a nice look to it and a good weight.
    Aug 22, 2003, 8:47 PM - Merged: Re: Where do you buy leather? #92

Sweet! Thanks!

Hate to pester you again, Mirax, but what color dye do you think would be best? I'm leading toward dark brown which can be found here:
    http://www.tandyleather.com/products...1&pagenumber=3

The item I'm looking at is "Fiebings Pro Oil Dye Quart Dk Brn #211102".

Thoughts?
    Thanks again!

18. Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    Aug 23, 2003, 12:02 AM - Merged: Re: Where do you buy leather? #93

I used the Tandy dyes. I used medium and dark brown and liked the medium better, but it takes lots of coats!
    Jan 30, 2004, 3:59 PM - Merged: Finishing leather.... #94

A quick question for the leather workers out there. Do I weather my leather then seal it, or do I seal it then weather it? Didn't want to mess this one up.
    Jan 30, 2004, 6:22 PM - Merged: Re: Finishing leather.... #95

Depends on what your weathering. I wouldnt seal my holsters. it would look toooooo shiny. but if you're doing a belt to wear with a pair of pants, then seal that.
  21. Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    Jan 30, 2004, 7:05 PM - Merged: Re: Finishing leather.... #96

Yup, I didn't seal any of my stuff. Weather the heck out of it- sandpaper is great!
    Jan 31, 2004, 12:35 AM - Merged: Re: Finishing leather.... #97

The way I shaped mine was easy.
    I cut the basic shape for the inside (flat part) of the holster and kept it dry. Next cut some big enough to bend around your blaster and wet it. Put your blaster on the dry leather and form your wet around the blaster. Clamp together close to the blaster. I put mine on the shoe rack in my dryer for a bit and they came out great. When it's dry, remove the clamps, glue, stitch and trim. Now you have a holster.

May 10, 2004, 11:16 AM - Merged: Ammo belt dimension? #98

What are the correct dimensions of each of Jango's ammo pouches. Just start thowing me numbers of what yours are if you have them.
    May 11, 2004, 2:08 PM - Merged: Re: Ammo belt dimension? #99

Come on! I know at least one of you people has a belt. Don't lie, just give me an estimate of your pouch dimensions
  25. Admin Staff Star Wars Chick's Avatar
    May 11, 2004, 2:17 PM - Merged: Re: Ammo belt dimension? #100

Ok ok, I just went and measured mine. 2 inches wide, 4 inches tall. Now bear in mind, I am only 5'2" and 108 lbs so scale accordingly.