Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

My latest project

From
    Porterville, California

My latest project

Just wanted to share my latest project because I know some members enjoy build-up pics, like myself. I started this project briefly about a month ago but had to put it down to fill orders. I finally had a chance to revisit it while waiting for resin to come in for the backplates. I hope to have the gauntlets completed by the end of the weekend.

enjoy,
    Cruzer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc07045-jpg   dsc07046-jpg   dsc07047-jpg  

dsc07048-jpg   dsc07049-jpg   dsc07050-jpg  

dsc07051-jpg   dsc07052-jpg   dsc07053-jpg  

dsc07054-jpg   dsc07055-jpg   dsc07056-jpg  

dsc07057-jpg   dsc07058-jpg   dsc07060-jpg  

dsc07061-jpg   dsc07063-jpg   dsc07077-jpg  

dsc07079-jpg   dsc07081-jpg  
    Last edited by Cruzer; Aug 10, 2007 at 3:58 PM.

From
    Irvine, CA

Re: My latest project

Lookin good so far Lorenzo! Keep it up!

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

Look great. You better hurry up, school's about to begin!

I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    From
    Phoenix, AZ

Lookin' great so far!

Cruzer said: View Post
    I hope to have the gauntlets completed by the end of the weekend.
    Really? That fast, eh? Better eats yer spinach!

Ahhh, I was wondering when was you going to show something about them, never thought so far

I'm sure those are going to be the best Jango Gauntlets availible, can't wait to see them finished

Looking good bro!!!

From
    Porterville, California

Thanks guys.
    Yeah, MandaloreFett, I go back to work on Wed. so that's why I'm pushing to get these done and start the molding. The flamethrower and whipcord build should go pretty quickly. The only piece I think will take some time is the top hose fitting for the right gauntlet.

I'm pretty happy with the detailing accuracy and the size. If they're not scaled to screen size (according to Dark-Sides measurements), then they should be but 2-3% larger. Actually I wanted to make them a tad larger because most people who suit up aren't Temura's 5'4" stature.

I've been working closely with Dark-Side as he is the "King of measurements", so I've been making the gauntlets to work perfectly with his missiles and darts.

In researching dimensions, scaling, etc., I felt strongly about concluding that both gauntlets were the same length. So, it looks like both gauntlets will measure in at 8 3/8", maybe 8 1/2"...we'll see.

Any feedback to make them more accurate, let me know.

Thanks,
    Cruzer

From
    Irvine, CA

Cruzer said: View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Yeah, MandaloreFett, I go back to work on Wed. so that's why I'm pushing to get these done and start the molding. The flamethrower and whipcord build should go pretty quickly. The only piece I think will take some time is the top hose fitting for the right gauntlet.

I'm pretty happy with the detailing accuracy and the size. If they're not scaled to screen size (according to Dark-Sides measurements), then they should be but 2-3% larger. Actually I wanted to make them a tad larger because most people who suit up aren't Temura's 5'4" stature.

I've been working closely with Dark-Side as he is the "King of measurements", so I've been making the gauntlets to work perfectly with his missiles and darts.

In researching dimensions, scaling, etc., I felt strongly about concluding that both gauntlets were the same length. So, it looks like both gauntlets will measure in at 8 3/8", maybe 8 1/2"...we'll see.

Any feedback to make them more accurate, let me know.

Thanks,
    Cruzer
    The measurements sound about right...

Just a quick note...Temuera is not 5'4" by any means. He is a solid 5'8"

From
    Porterville, California

I disagree, standing face to face with him and shaking his hand on more than one occassion, he was a good 2-3 inches below my 5'7".

From
    California USA

There's no way Temura is 5'8" if Cruzer and Slavefive are taller than him!
    Last edited by MandalorFett; Aug 12, 2007 at 3:13 AM.

From
    Irvine, CA

Then he must've been on lifts both times I met him. I've met him twice, both times him being my height or a little taller and I'm 5'7 barefooted.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/1430/1001061tn7.jpg

In this one, the girl to his left in the blue shirt is 5'7"
    http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9676/1002477rc1.jpg

From
    Porterville, California

Yeah, he's probably more around 5'5". One time we were both wearing those fashion racing type shoes (flat soles) and I was still looking down a little to look him in the eye. I'd say he's around there. I'm only about 5"6" barefooted...I need to get me some of those lifts.

great pics with Tem!

Started to curve the sides tonight. I need to look more closely at the ref. cd. pics to see if the flamethrower side of the left gauntlet is straight or curved.

I can't get my camara to let me take pics I can post that are bigger. Anybody know how?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc07084-jpg  
    Last edited by Cruzer; Aug 11, 2007 at 2:39 AM.

Looking great L!

Awesome Cruz !

Do you have another pair of gauntlet ? (MoW, ruffkin ?)
    I really want to see a size comparaison

I want a pair !

Hey Lorenzo I know this is a far stretch but do you think they would fit me?

Oh yeah and PM sent on another issue.......

From
    planet Earth-currently

Great job on the modeling, they look fantastic.

can I ask a technical question? What material are you using to create these models (cardboar? Plastic?).

I am going to take a wild guess and say 3mm sintra?

From
    Porterville, California

Unfortunately, I don't have a pair from another maker to do a side-by-side comparison.
    They will be approximately 8.5" in length, and should have a wrist circumference of approximately 10" and a forearm circumference of about 13"-13.5".
    I'm using both 1/16" and 1/8" styrene (Polystyrene ABS). I prefer it over sintra because it's more rigid.

Thanks

Wow, great work C.

From
    planet Earth-currently

Thank you for answering the question. you do great work with it the Polystyrene. I would like to try moldeling with it. Do you have a web source fo the Polystyrene ABS that you use. I am not aware of any place in my area selling it.

thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by pastafett; Aug 11, 2007 at 10:50 PM.

From
    Porterville, California

Thanks, Laan!

I've gotten all of my sheets from my local GE Polymershapes office. Here's their website to see if there's a branch near you: http://www.gepolymershapes.com/polys...nchlocator.jsp

Good luck!

From
    California USA

Really nice buildup! What technique do you use to bend the Polystyrene ABS into curves?

MOW measurements........
    right gauntlet only....

length 9 1/4"
    wrist 8"
    forearm 12 1/2"

so a little bigger and roomier on the inside and a little shorter in length. These should fit me!!!

From
    Preston, UK

DO-A-RUN!
    DO-A-RUN!
    DO-A-RUN!

... Don't make me keep doing this.

From
    Porterville, California

MandalorFett said: View Post
    Really nice buildup! What technique do you use to bend the Polystyrene ABS into curves?
    Thanks MandalorFett. It's kind of a trade secret but I use a very sophisticated piece of equipment called a "flower vase" to bend the styrene around to get the curves. It happened to have the dimensions I was looking for. For larger single pieces like the bottom shells, I'll heat the styrene up for 20 minutes in a 250 degree oven on an air bake cookie sheet (with the window open). For smaller bends like the sides of the top shells, I'll place the shell on the flower vase and heat up the side with a heat gun. With both applications, I'll roll the material back and forth on a flat piece of wood until it cools stiff to keep everything plumb and flat. I'll usually have to go back with the heat gun to do spot work here and there...but it works.

Firstsonofsolo, those measurements have changed a tad now that I have them temporarily assembled.
    Length = 8.5"
    Front wrist inner circumference = 9.5"
    Back forearm inner circumference = 12.75"

I always hated the pinching and then wrestling with the gloves & sleeves when putting gauntlets on, so I intentionally made them a tad larger and conforming to a normally shaped forearm for comfort and ease of use. I'm hoping those dimensions will work for most arm sizes. If not, the fiberglass shells will be able to be trimmed and adjusted before being assembled to achieve smaller circumferences. It's amazing how much fiberglass can be bent with a little heat.

A-G, I've a couple of buddies in need of Jango gauntlets, so it's the whole purpose of this build. After they're taken care of then I'd be happy to make them available to members in need.

Well, progress has slowed a bit for the sake of accuracy, but I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I've alway felt the right gauntlet was more difficult to build. Tomorrow I'll build the flamethrower and start assembly on the left gauntlet.

Enjoy. and I'll gladly take any feedback that'll help make these more accurate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc07092-jpg   dsc07099-jpg   dsc07093-jpg  

dsc07102-jpg   dsc07106-jpg  
    Last edited by Cruzer; Aug 14, 2007 at 1:06 PM.