Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

My Jango Progress

Re: My Jango Progress

I don't recall of a wine color being used to dye a Jango suit, but I could have over looked that in some threads. It's trial and error like Craig mentioned.

I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    From
    Phoenix, AZ

Dang, Phil ... you're almost there! That looks mighty impressive so far!

From
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Keep at it Phil, you're still making progress.

I'm kinda stumped as to how I was able to finish mine ahead of you though. You were way further along than I was.

From
    Chicago, IL

It looks pretty good. I really like the color of your jumsuit now. I think it looks perfect. All you need now is spray with sand color and mud color all over it to make it look weathered.

The more you wash it the more its going to look like the real deal. It will get a tad lighter. Here are some pics for comparison. it looks like all images were taking with flash. I have also included a picture of my suit for comparison to the weathering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jumpsuitecompare-jpg  
    Last edited by SEEKER; Jun 25, 2008 at 2:52 PM.

From
    Silver Spring, MD

Thanks guys!

Hey SEEKER, what did you use to weather your suit? Fullers Earth like the sandtrooper weathering? or is that acrylic watered down and sponged on? Thanks man!

From
    Chicago, IL

I mist Rustoleum 2089 dark gray primer. Then on top of that I used krylon Khaki color. or any nice flat muddy looking colors. just think dust or arena sand. make look gritty and sandy.

hey for your shins, join mando mercs and go to this thread

http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php?topic=6047.0

guys makes metal shins for $20

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

As for shins, I would say stay away from metal, since the rest of your armour is fiberglass. Just wait until Cruzer finishes his project.

From
    Wisconsin

You're Jango is looking great brother. I'm making trashcan armor shins and pretty much everything else. For knees I went with ASOK and Gauntlets are Cruzer. But following your progress is helping me a lot with ideas and contacts.

Rup

From
    Silver Spring, MD

glad to hear its of help to you man. I'm probably going to wait to get the rest of the stuff from Cruzer when i get the cash. Im just so eager to wear it. I ordered the snaps from Tandy and probably ordering the CA glue sometime this week.

From
    Porterville, California

Great progress! I know all too well that eager to have it done and wear it feeling. My shins are done and I just need to mold them, so it's at the top of my to do list this month along with my boot armor and thigh armor.

Hey you! I'm catching up to you! heh.. not really. ITS FABRIC STORE THURSDAY!! Lets go to Manhattan and get some stuff for my mando!
    <3

From
    Silver Spring, MD

Finally got to wear some of my costume yesterday which is very exciting. You can see how the snaps were assembled here http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...396#post351396

This is the most recent updated picture with what I have so far. Next is to place the center diamond and weather/take in the flight suit a little bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf4993-jpg  
    Last edited by runJEDIrun; Jan 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM.

From
    Wisconsin

Rock n' Roll brother looking great!

Looks great man! You did a great job with the rub'n buff.

From
    killinois

Sharp. very sharp.

I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    From
    Phoenix, AZ

That looks great on you, Phil ... can't wait to see the whole costume on you, dude!

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

That armour is looking pretty sweet!

From
    Cheshire, UK

Looks awesome Phil.

Like your method on attaching the armour to the flak vest. Keep up the Good Work.

From
    Silver Spring, MD

finally an update!

I just got my old MOW gauntlets reinforced with fiberglass, but I still have pretty nasty cracks on the outer surface. I wanted to know what you all thought would be the best way to tackle this piece. Ideally i do not want to have to redo the entire rub and buff job. I dunno if it is a matter of CA glue or bondo or something. Open to suggestions.

The box is full of the rest of the gear minus the backplate and shins which is all i need before this baby is complete. Almost....there....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc_0001-jpg   dsc_0002-jpg   dsc_0003-jpg  

dsc_0004-jpg   dsc_0005-jpg   dsc_0006-jpg  

Last edited by runJEDIrun; Jan 23, 2009 at 12:10 PM.

From
    Porterville, California

The pics don't show up for me here at work, but for the least intrusive method of repairing surface cracks, I like to use Hot Stuff CA glue (the thinnest) with pro tips (link). I begin by separating the crack as much as possible with a little tension, and then allow glue to flow throughout the crack while pouring it in at one point (usually at the edge). Once the crack has filled with glue, release the tension, allowing the crack to close, and quickly wipe off any excess glue. Spray with accelerator, and lightly sand and spot Rn'B as necessary.

Here's a link to the tips I order and use. I'm sure you can find a supplier closer to you. They may not be made by the same maker, and some are even slightly curved or shorter, but they pretty much all work the same.

http://www.houseofhobbies.com/sacisuglprot.html

From
    Silver Spring, MD

so its just the glue plus a special applicator tip right? will it fill the gap do you think?

From
    Chicago, IL

yeah those are some nasty cracks. Do we know why this continue to happen?

From
    Porterville, California

runJEDIrun said: View Post
    so its just the glue plus a special applicator tip right? will it fill the gap do you think?
    Use Hot Stuff if the cracks sit flush with one another and the gap is very little. Use Super T if a little gap filling is needed. Use Special T for really large gaps.

Ideally, you'd want to repair the cracks before reinforcing the back with more fiberglassing, but you gotta work with what you got.

Seeker, its probably because the layer of fiberglass resin was thin and/or the fiberglass cloth used wasn't thick enough. I actually have to go back and lay another layer of resin in my gauntlets to make them sturdier after the first coat of heavy duty fiberglass cloth and resin has dried. The gauntlets are just one of those parts that see a lot of movement and abuse.

From
    Silver Spring, MD

Got a good amount accomplished tonight. Filled the cracks on the MOW's (thanks Cruzer). Dressed the mannequin (DAK) with everything i have so far. There are elements being held up by tape. Here are some pics! This is the first time i have seen this much all up together!

95% done i would say.

Here is what i have left to do:

-weather r&b on helmet.
    -finish westars
    -r&b silver on boots and attach foot armor
    -attach darts and accessories to gauntlets
    -get other glove haha!

Parts I still need!

-BACKPLATE
    -SHINS ($$ is low low low now that school has started back up for me and i don't know when i am going to have extra cash laying around to get the best stuff so this is where i might need to get some lower end parts. Not too big of a deal though. Any suggestions on where to pick these up?

ALSO! (might be a dumb question...) but how do i attach the holster belt to the cod? velro? or some sort of adhesive. I am also trying to figure out a good way to do the knees without having to put straps through the inside of the suit. Open to suggestions. Thanks again everyone!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc_0001-1-jpg   dsc_0006-1-jpg   dsc_0009-jpg  

dsc_0011-jpg   dsc_0012-jpg  
    Last edited by runJEDIrun; Jan 23, 2009 at 12:12 PM.