My Jango Progress

hahaha, yeah my shoulder hurt too. the end of my pointer finger is still raw and trying to regrow fingerprints! :lol:

I started to mask off my helmet for the krylon ocean blue, but my girlfriend said i was being too sloppy and did it for me (y) Since i had no luck finding the rustoleum royal blue i had to call my mom in maryland to check the home depot for me. Luckily she snatched the last can (probably in the tristate area!) so i will apply that tomw. here's so pics.

we're getting closer! :cheers

EDIT:

Here is the ocean blue. i got to retouch the r&b in the small creases of the helmet. Tomw is going to be the royal blue.

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
quick question, i am in the middle of masking off the sections for painting the blues, but everytime i remove the making tape it peels up the blues even though its been dry for a day. Has this been happening to anyone else? Should i use something other than blue painters masking tape?:confused

thats all i used...what kind of primer did you use? i used automobile grade primer in a spray can...had not trouble with the paint not sticking...BTW tell you girl she has some nice artwork there! cool tats!

will do! we are always workin on the tats.

i used some krylon primer then the blues. but when i try to mask off the blues to clean up the edges of the rub and buff on the cheek areas, the tape messes up the finish on the blues. Me and my girl talked about it tonight and i think we are gonna try doing something with minimal tape and wax paper. I'll post a pic and show you what i mean.

here's the picture of where i am at now. my problem is with masking the royal blue so i can redo the cheeks, but the tape keeps pulling up the paint or leaving sticky marks. whats everyones technique for getting nice round r&b cheeks? haha!:lol:

IMG_1784.jpg

Maybe try some paint on mask. You can get it at any hobby store.

You can also use a vinyl based tape that stretches a bit to get a nice curved edge.

thanks man, that would have been a good idea. unfortunately i ended up using painters masking tape and making positive and negative stencils to do my blues and r&b. this is about it before weathering and putting on the ears.

all doneish! kinda...

i want to epoxy on the ears but the stalk is really heavy and the range finder isn't hollowed out. I wish i could put the ears on with magnets however i am not confident drilling the holes for the magnets in the resin pieces without cracking them. Probably will have to invest in a lighter stalk or something. mine looks to be aluminum. anyone else have this problem?

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

Phil, that looks MANY times better than it originally did. You and Tiffany did a very nice job with that helmet. Keep up the good work.(y)

thanks a lot dude. couldn't have done it without your help with the r&b

This should help out with the ears & magnets. Scroll about half way down.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=5883&highlight=BKBT+helmet+buildup

thanks BKBT i really appreciate it. unfortunately i don't have any access to any drill press to countersink the magnets :( However i read through the entire thread and im with you on not putting electronics in the stalk so i might as well just epoxy it up and tighten the bolt. thanks for your help!

Now I'm eagerly waiting on the armor!

to be continued...

the finished (pre-weathered) helmet minus the pinstripes that im picking up tomw. I think I will be weathering with both tempera paints and fullers earth black to give it that greasy smoky look.

i also re installed the leather liner on the inside. I put the outer ear piece on with double sided sticky tack so that if i ever need to remove or adjust the stalk for any reason i can use dental floss and get it off easy.

i personally can't imagine the helmet the way it was when i first started, i like it this way so much better. Thanks BKBT for a great helmet!

thanks everyone for your input and help

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

THE ARMOR ARRIVES!!! WAHAHAHAHA! (y):cheers

my first order of BKBT armor has just come in. Beautiful BEAUTIFUL armor! already cut down and primed. really great looking stuff. BKBT, can't thank you enough! :cheers I'm going to finish fine sanding it all down and then hopefully get into some rub and buff.

LET THE SANDING BEGIN!:wacko

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

Glad to see you're having fun. I noticed on your helmet that it also has one of my old skirts. It looks to be installed upside down, the smooth leather side faces outward:)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back