Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jun 17, 2005, 1:08 PM - most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #1

Here I am again! 8)

I already started this project during the end of my EIII premiere-countdown after I saw raptorarts great cardboard/papermache jet pack.
    I was so fascinated of it, that I wanted to try to make the most screenaccurate cardboard/papermache jet pack ever. ...however as it is my first try, it may turn out as a piece of unreckognizable modern art as well.

To have it complete I post the few early pics from the countdown too and will post pics of every single step and piece, so if it works out in the end, it might be used as kind of a tutorial.

The starting bases are the blueprints that can be found in this forum (which are by the way great work!) for all the measures and shapes.
    Afterwords you need a big piece of cardboard and on it goes!

After the cutting and bending (pic1+2) of a shape that covers most of the mainbody, I used another piece of strong cardboard bend to a slight curve for the use as the backplate (always noticed the packs with a flat back, which results in hanging ot far back with the rocket pointing more backwards than up)(pic3).

The next step were the tubes.
    I used those pringles chips cardboard tubes, which have suprisingly the exact diameter as needed, but as the are too short I had to use pieces of a third taped above (pic4).
    For the maintube I used a thick cardboard tube usually used for accomodating large pieces of drawings and blueprints. Sadly it's diameter is 1cm (1/3 inch) to wide) but still better as the next smaller which was nearly 2cm too small (well, there goes the screen-accuracy ). The Tube is long enough to easily get three maintubes out of it (so next project "screen-accurate stubby jet pack"! WAAH!).
    (pic5)

The first detail I worked on in this early stage was the rockets grit at the bottom. I took the measures of the blueprints and cut out the piece. Then I cut the grits into it (pic 6) and backed it up with a piece of black cardboardpaper.
    For the "sinkhole" of the grit I used the same cardboard paper (which I will use for all smaller parts) and formed it with enough edge left for gluing it later to the bottom of the pack as well as the gritplate into the sinkhole (pic7+8).
    Then simply attached the complete construction to the bottom of the pack (be aware that it still fits with the tube above it, but if the measures were followed correctly it fits like a glove). (pic9+10)

So much for the start.
    Please don't expect that my progress on the jet pack will be as fast as on my Jango, as I have to concentrate most time on my studies for exams.
    But I think I might be able of making one step a week (just for relaxation of course ).
    So please be patient.

PS: Could anybody tell me how I can integrate the pic within the text and not only attaching all the pics at the end?
    Would be nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cardboard jetpack 1.JPG 
Views:	1275 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	3829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cardboard jetpack 2.JPG 
Views:	1271 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	3830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cardboard jetpack 3.JPG 
Views:	1275 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	3831  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jetpack side tubes.JPG 
Views:	1263 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	3832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetpack tubes testfitted.JPG 
Views:	1264 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	3833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetpack grit 1.JPG 
Views:	1229 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	3834  

Name:	jetpack grit sinkhole.JPG 
Views:	1233 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	3835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetpack grit + sinkhole.JPG 
Views:	1195 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	3836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetpack grit installed.JPG 
Views:	1179 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	3837  

Name:	jetpack grit.JPG 
Views:	1212 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	3838  
    Jun 17, 2005, 1:20 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #2

that looks very promissing, keep those pics coming mate!!! and keep going!!! :jet pack
    Jun 17, 2005, 2:18 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #3

That is some nice work there man! Great job, again! Don't quit! Maybe you could try using bondo on the end product to fill in any gaps and so on (if the bondo will work with cardboard, I know nothing of bondo, other than it is kind of like a putty/clay). Goodluck bro!!!
    Jun 17, 2005, 2:40 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #4

Thanx pals.

@askywalker98:
    The gaps and edges will be closed and smoothend at the end while covering the pack with a coat of papermache, so it will then look like out of one piece (hopefully ).
    Jun 17, 2005, 3:03 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #5

That's impresive and so simple! I'm stunned! I've been trying to make a jp from plastic and fiberglass (and failing so miserably that I've given up!) and here's the answer starring me in the face! Genius! :thumbup You have set those of us who are fibreglass/resin challenged (I just make a solid looking mass of goo!) and/or on a budget (priorities people! You can eat NEXT week!) on the right path. :thumbup :thumbup

BTW: Nice touch using the Star Wars pringle tubes!
  6. Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Jun 17, 2005, 9:10 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #6

NICE!!!

pLS..more detailed pics!! I would like to take what u have done to make it to an Arena Jet pack!!

PLS!! MOREE!!!
    Jun 18, 2005, 1:29 AM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #7

Wow!

Just freaking wow!

I love it!
    Jun 18, 2005, 6:19 AM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #8

hmm... I may do something simmilair for my "exhaust" port as I dremmeled myn out because it was so bloody inaccurate, haven't gotten aroun to making one though... looks cewl

allthough I might try something with plexi-glas... thnx for the inspiration!!!
  9. Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Jun 18, 2005, 7:02 AM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #9

any body has Jango's Arena Jet Packs Dimensions??
    Jun 18, 2005, 6:02 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #10

try search function... but (im NO Jango expert) isn;t the main body about the same size??
    Jun 19, 2005, 4:36 AM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #11

@OrtharRrith:
    Thanx for the praises :o , but most of the credits deserves raptorarts, as he was the first to do a really great looking cardboard jet pack I saw, which inspired me to this project.
    I was suprised the same way, what a easy and ingenious way that was, instead of all the work with fibreglass, resin etc. and by the way, I was sick of staying hungry for a jet pack.

...and it's probably the nearest thing to bobamakers (or was it TK-409?) plans of a tissuepaper jet pack from CIII, with it's low weight.

For the Star Wars pringles: I thought a lil bit of the Force inside the jet pack might be helpful for the project.

@Bleahhh:
    I'm sorry, that the pics are always a bit fuzzy as there are only made with a mobil cam, but that's the only possibility I have right now.
    As for the Arena Jet Pack; the size of the mainbody should be the same as far as I know (that's the reason, why I'll do the stubby pack too, if this really works out fine. ).

@R_boba_fett:
    Glad I could be of help . Making the gritplate from plexiglas would be even easier as with cardboard as you will be able to cut out the grit straight much better, but how will you bend the "sinkhole" part from plexiglass?
    Last edited by Wasp; Jun 19, 2005 at 4:46 AM.
    Jun 19, 2005, 5:25 AM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #12

you mean the elevated part, so that it will be up a little?

just a straight line of plexiglas, the length of the hole I currently have, heat up at pre-measured "fold-points" and place the part with the "bars in it on top... am I making much sense here??

I'll make something in paint to clearify... brb...
    Jun 19, 2005, 6:05 AM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #13

hope this is a little easier to understand..

Name:	exhaust port.jpg 
Views:	1150 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	3852  
    Jul 12, 2005, 10:56 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #14

Any updates yet? Looking great man!
    Jul 13, 2005, 3:50 AM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #15

Nope, I'm sorry. No time due to exams.
    From tomorrow on I won't be at home (except for a few days in between) till mid of september. So there will be no progress till then.

But the good news is, that after that I should have about two weeks in which I will have plenty of time to concentrate on the JP (and hopefully finish it).

So don't despair and stay tuned, the cardboard jet pack is inevitably on it's way.
    Jul 13, 2005, 10:50 AM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #16

Sounds cool man. Take your time on those exams. Don't let a cardboard jet pack stop you from succeeding!(sp?) Goodluck with those exams!
    Sep 15, 2005, 3:05 AM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #17

GUESS WHO'S BACK!

Magical me of course!

Good news everyone: To all my fans, who have missed me the last two month I can say, now that I've past my exams succesfully, that the work on the amazing screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jet pack will be continued probably in the beginning of next week. :thumbup

missed you folks
    stay tuned
    8)
    Sep 15, 2005, 5:38 AM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #18

...hey welcome back, can't await ur new process pics
    Sep 16, 2005, 4:19 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #19

Welcome back homie! Glad to see this think taking off once more. Everything is looking great so far!
  20. Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Sep 16, 2005, 4:52 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #20

nice work welcome back
    Last edited by Jangobobbafett; Sep 16, 2005 at 5:05 PM.
    Sep 17, 2005, 7:54 AM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #21

welcome back Wasp!!! good to hear from ya again!
    Oct 9, 2005, 5:11 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #22

Sorry folks. Obviously I wasn't really back after all.
    There were some things I had to attend to which didn't leave me any time for the JP.

However, hopefully I manage to concentrate on it this week. I just have to finish another lightsaber...

Although it has nothing to do with this thread, I'm posting a pic of a lightsaber (Count Dooku style) I almost finished today for you gals and guys (just to proove I'm not completly out of business ).

Hopefully more for you soon. :jet pack

Name:	SABER.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	5985  
  23. Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Oct 9, 2005, 9:00 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #23

heres my take...

Oct 10, 2005, 1:23 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #24

Dude!! Keep your shirt on!

25. Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Oct 10, 2005, 1:29 PM - Re: most screen-accurate cardboard/papermache jetpack ever! (pic-heavy!) #25

put some pants on that kid!

Good work! Looks like it is coming along great.