Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Machined westar interest thread/sign up

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Re: Machined westar interest thread/sign up

JDFett said: View Post
    im in for these for sure! a pair as well..not just one..LOL

not sure which way i will go...will wait to see the PT first...im leangin toward all ali but will be curious how they look first.
    I can see the pro's and con's to either resin grips or all aluminum too. I can say for exmple, at least with my set of MR's, is that when I handle them/spin them, I hear "creeks" come from where the barrel and the resin grip are attached. That just makes me worried that one day while trying to act John Waynish, that the barrel will just snap off or whatever.

The good thing about the resin version would be the better chance of getting sharp details. Now Im not saying that the all metal ones wont, its just that it would be much easier to cast them in resin. Like on the two pointed details on the back portion of the pistol. I can say that the resin will get those just as sharp and pointy then I would imagine with the aluminum version.

But I dont know yet, but thats just my take on it. An all metal version would be cool, and I wouldnt worry about the barrel snapping off.

I haent asked him about the brass bits yet.

The prototype will take some developing as I dont want to put my name to any old bobbins ;-)

I might be able to get an MR to him for comparason, that way he can get as close as possible to the real thing.

I'll keep you posted!

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Spacescopie said: View Post
    I haent asked him about the brass bits yet.

The prototype will take some developing as I dont want to put my name to any old bobbins ;-)

I might be able to get an MR to him for comparason, that way he can get as close as possible to the real thing.

I'll keep you posted!
    For extra help towards the machinist, you may want to send him this link. I think it gives a good reference on how to assemble the westar's from the machined parts

Awesome! Forwarded them on

From
    Omaha, NE

I'd also like to throw a little something out in support of the all aluminum version. In Nebraska we go through some wild weather changes and I've seen resin parts snap and break with little to no impact. That's one of my major concerns about ordering anything resin. Besides, if the price difference is only approximately $20 (USD) I'd rather spend the extra money to get something of a little higher quality. It's just something to keep in mind.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Well personally, my thoughts would be (and I havent looked TOTALLY at it, but if you did the grip pads in resin, and the inside in aluminum, and secured the aluminum together, and the resin (beveled parts) around it, you get the sturdyness, and the detail.

Thats why the old pistols had soft ivory or soft metals etc for the detail parts, and metal for the connections, because its difficult to get high detail out of hard metals.

Id have to see the 3d design, but if it looks like I remember, I think it would be easily doable.

Should be interesting none the less.

wd

From
    Seattle, Washington

I would definitely be in for a pair if they are $400 or less for the pair, this is one of the best things I have seen in a while. Very much looking forward to where this is going!

Once you have a set range (not firm price, but a "We won't excced $450 at this point") that is relatively final (all things change) I will sign myself up!

Very happy about the turn in progress this project has made int he last weeks.

Alexis
    *smiles*

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Yea, I didnt want to make another thread, but to those with the MR's, dont spin them, or not very much at all. I was just checking the stunt blaster, and I can detect a very minute sideways movement, which is not on the regular blaster. The movement was not there when I recieved them, which led me to believe after spinning them, it did happen.

So yea, Im not going to spin it at all anymore. Im wondering if I could even send it to MR to re-tighten the barrel, but I dont know if thats possible or not. I certainly not going to try it myself though..

From
    Irvine, CA

My MR's are fine, after lots of spinning. I'm not worried about them falling apart. The only damage they have taken is a couple of dings.

From
    Marana, Arizona

any news on this project?

Sadly, none as yet. I've sent a number of emails but the guy seems to have dissapeared .

As soon as I hear, I'll post up.

Update:

My ontact is in the process or moving his machine shop to new premisis, He has himself researched the blasters and is happy enough to produce 2 prototypes by the end of this month (April.)

I hope to report back as soon as I see them.

He plans to machine the barrels using CNC and cut the grips using water-jet, I have stressed the accuracy point a thousand times ... I suppose I wait with baited breath like everyone else

From
    A2, MI

Put me down for this pending pics of the prototype; but its sounds like it'll all be gravy.

From
    Near Cleveland, Ohio, USA

So, what is the good word? Has he moved in yet?

Without some sort of price range I am interested but not committed. I'd have to be stupid to sign up for something and not know the cost. I'm not Bill Gates, Sorry.

From
    Near Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Actually, further down in the thread they have a estimate from a maker that was $150 for alluminum each, and $130 for alluminum with resin handle. The maker that Tuba tried to contact didn't get back to him so we had another guy give us an estimate.

From
    Amity

i may be intrested based on price & prototype. mint MR's are damn near imposibe to find and espesialy for a reasonable price. so these may be what im looking for

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Hmm...I stoped pursuing someone who could get some wetar's made because of some others who have started looking. I was hoping that Spacescopie would have had this going, but we havent heard anything new so far. Westarsmith in the other thread looks promising, but I dont know whats going to happen as far as that.

I guess I can continue looking again. The guy who I had contacted earlier just never returned back with any quote or anything at all.

My supplier moved premisis last month and promised me an update by the end of April. I have sent 3 emails in May, all with no reply.

I have no other method of contact with supplier, I'll update as soon as I hear.

Sorry!

What can I say? :-(

It did seem to be going well but now my supplier isnt answering emails.

On the off-chance its a technical hitch at his end he has my full contact details, but other than that I havent got the time to be chasing time wasters :-(

Sorry Fella's!

From
    Marana, Arizona

bummer..still hoping for some metal balster alternatives...