Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Oct 30, 2007, 2:20 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #76

Thanks so much for the compliments.Yeah I have been busy.I do all my paint topically instead of layers.the only thing I layer is the dark grey around the scratches.I use krylon dark grey primer on the whole helmet, and basically mustard off where the grey shows through,spray it down with spruce green, sand it with a fine sanding sponge to get the faded look, then I do all my silver with testors.
    the mandibles are painted with rust red acrylic.It looks just as good, and I can brush it on.Less spraying ,less mistakes.lol
    There are some guys here that do some mind blowing work on helmets , and with a few more helmets under my belt, hopefully I can stand alongside some of the greats, but for now, I keep my prices reasonable, and do the very best I can do.
  2. Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Oct 30, 2007, 6:42 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #77

that looks good ... did you do anything to the inside to stiffen it up? ... thats what i am debating on right now while i am trimming and fitting
    Oct 30, 2007, 6:53 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #78

Quote ItsThatGuy said: View Post
    I gave up on mine - too much work to fix everything. Yours looks amazing though!
    WHAT? Fett NEVER gives up j/k. I know how you feel, it took me three separate tries to finally finish my scratch-built helmet and I'm still not happy with it.
    Oct 30, 2007, 8:48 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #79

I've been held up on mine by the ear caps--not using the standard ones--so I haven't been able to accomplish much lately. When I get the ears ready, though, I plan to prime, and then I'm giving serious consideration to doing what several guys I've read here on The Helmet have done and spray the inside with truck bed liner. There are places in the helmet where the pieces don't feel right--the helmet doesn't have that single piece feel. Even though it doesn't do it, it almost seems like the helmet should rattle--does that make sense? I was looking for something I could line the inside with to make it feel more solid, so I'm gonna try the bed liner, though I've considered a few other options, too.

Wickedbeard, sorry to hear the assembly was such a pain. Your paint job is fantastic, of course. I know I said earlier that what we needed was some of the artists on here to paint up some of the vac-formed helmets to inspire us, but you might just have stymied me a bit... Very impressive work. Just based on your work, it seems as far as looks go that these helmets could stand up to others. I guess the next test is trooping in them.

Few questions: What did you use for the visor? Did you find that the visor is too heavy for the bucket? Was the helmet made to be worn, or as a piece of art for display? Did you add the dent yourself? Thanks for posting your great paint job.
  5. Oct 31, 2007, 4:54 AM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #80

Well I have never assembled a vac formed bucket before so that was the problem.I am just not used to working with that material.Never owned a set of stormie armor sadly.
    The helmet is light, but as far as trooping that to me would be a good thing.Since it sits on your head most of the time not much copuld really happen to it.
    I did not add anything to the inside except some foam .It fit like a glove after that.as far as assembling it.All I used was goop, and he had purchased a metal stalk which I added later.That was also kinda tough since I had to do some rigging so it would fit properly.lol the stalk was almost as heavy as the bucket.lololol
    The visor was just green faceshield that I had laying around, which I also installed using goop.The faceshield material is very light and pliable.
    the dent was created by heating the inside and pushing a rounded off wood post I use to put the dents in my armor lightly into it.
    I do have to say that it fits nice and is a good size.I of course had to wear it for a while to make sure, wink wink.Is it just me or does everyone stare into the mirror for long periods of time when wearing their buckets.hahahahahaha
    Last edited by wickedbeard; Oct 31, 2007 at 5:10 AM. Reason: added text
    Oct 31, 2007, 2:58 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #81

Quote ItsThatGuy said: View Post
    I gave up on mine - too much work to fix everything. Yours looks amazing though!
    i bought (well, have... i still have to actually PAY FOR) JD's helmet.

it's definitely a bit rough around the edges, but after about an hour or so i got it together, sanded and looking nice.

wickedbeard... awesome paint job on it. i'm not sure yet if i'm going to to rotj or esb.
    Oct 31, 2007, 7:50 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #82

Thanks for the reply, Wickedbeard. I have a few face shields for visor,s but haven't installed any yet, so don't know how much lighter it will feel cut down. I might have to look into lighter material--mine seem awfully heavy to me.
    Nov 2, 2007, 3:41 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #83

how long does it usually take to get a response for buying one of these?
    Nov 2, 2007, 8:00 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #84

I think BradleyFett (Mark) has been busy lately, send him a PM.
    Nov 2, 2007, 8:37 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #85

That looks really good. I like working with styrene so I'd like to do one up Jango style to see the end result. Hopefully someone build one soon and post some pics.
  11. Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Nov 5, 2007, 3:31 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #86

Hi vode, same here... Does anyone have an idea about shipping to France? Thanks!
    Nov 5, 2007, 3:33 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #87

PM BradleyFett - Only thing is, he hasn't been on here in about a month. Hope he's ok...
    Nov 6, 2007, 10:54 AM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #88

i recieved a helmet today but it is not mine i ordered armor from him
    so is there anyone that ordered a helmet but got armor?????

i also made a thread in the general section.

Ruben
    Nov 6, 2007, 1:09 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #89

Maybe it is mine. I ordered mine 5 weeks ago.
    Nov 6, 2007, 3:42 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #90

Wow. With all the problems people are having, I'm glad I didn't put money into this.

Maybe this guy was all talk?

David.
    Nov 6, 2007, 3:51 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #91

Mark Bradley is not all talk. He has an established reputation and I have dealt with him in the past with no problems. Looks like he is having problems this time around though.

A similar thing could be said about Judz Dwedd. He was a dependable, well respected guy but he is just not delivering on his recent orders. Although the situation with JD seems to be a lot worse.
    Nov 6, 2007, 4:09 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #92

Quote Foxbatkllr said: View Post
    Mark Bradley is not all talk. He has an established reputation and I have dealt with him in the past with no problems. Looks like he is having problems this time around though.
    Agreed!
    Nov 6, 2007, 4:45 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #93

Sorry if I sounded offensive. It wasn't my intention. I just don't want to spend my money on something I'd never receive.

David.
    Nov 6, 2007, 10:37 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #94

Don't want to ruffle any feathers here, so let me just put this out there. Maybe I'm the only one who's had this experience. Last year, in August, I ordered some sintra prop materials from a maker on another forum. Contacted the seller after a month, because I was concerned I wouldn't have the materials for a Halloween costume in time. All told, it took two months to receive the product. Since then, I have ordered two sets of gauntlets and two helmets besides the ones I ordered from Bradleyfett. Each one took two months to reach me. Bradleyfett's took only a month. That must seem a long time to some, but was shorter by half than any other hobbiest seller I'd had experience with to that point. I think the perceived difficulties with the vac-formed helmet came of a few issues, primarily that it was a new concept, and most people'd had no experience with it. To date, I've only seen Wickedbeard's and tk7602's fine examples of painted vac-formed Boba buckets. When someone had a question, there were very few people who'd worked with them to offer advice. I only know Bradleyfett from this one purchase, but I had absolutely no problems working with him. I know no one's bashing him, but I think there's a wrong impression being developed here. There are real plusses (sp?) to Bradleyfett's bucket--namely price, and symmetry. I'm considering buying a third, and I'm not even finished painting my first. I wouldn't think twice about doing business with him again.

Having said that, I certainly don't mean to belittle the frustration of waiting for a purchase you expected sooner--I've felt that with each of mine, cuz I wanted them that afternoon, let alone two months later. And I don't mean to dismiss the dismay at opening a box and finding something completely different from what was purchased. What a let down that must have been/still is.

Respectfully,

ioelus
    Nov 6, 2007, 11:05 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #95

Huh? I am not sure if you are defending his timing, or the natural tendancy for prop makers to deliver tardy in general. Late by a month is OK, then 2 months is not OK?

I have been late by 10 days and have people shine-o-la all over me. I have been later (but that was painting and assembling an entire suit of clone armor - and I gave weekly updates)

First off... I do not do suits anymore. And, generally when I shipthings I sell, I try to do it in under a week now. I will offer an example, a recent one. I sold this MG-34/DLT-19 the Monday before Halloween (and I told the guy it would arrive after Halloween)...

Since I did not ship it until last Saturday (the 6th day after he paid the purchase), I felt like I was running behind and refunded his shipping cost as a courtesy.

I understand we get behind, or orders stack up, or we have "Real Life" happen... that is cool, we all have lives outside of this realm of plastic and toys. OH, HOW I HAVE LEARNED THIS...

But, we can also share with our peers (and especially, our customers)... "Hey, I am having problems." or, "My molds do not seem to be working." or whatever.

Every time I have PM'd Bradley prior to this purchase, he has always been pleasent, and I have asked him for advice in the past... so, I have no beef with him.

I also do not think I am throwing him under the bus either.

Facts are, I am just going from 5 weeks, onto 6 weeks now.

As I have offered to Bradley in PMs here and through e-mail... "No big deal, please let me know an ETA, and if you are behind, just send me a refund... no biggy."

And if he sends me a helmet, I will probably paint it up fast, and get pics up of how I plan to do it...

WHITE, of course.

I too, do not want to ruffle. I just would like a reply and an ETA.

Later,

John

Quote ioelus said: View Post
    Don't want to ruffle any feathers here, so let me just put this out there. Maybe I'm the only one who's had this experience. Last year, in August, I ordered some sintra prop materials from a maker on another forum. Contacted the seller after a month, because I was concerned I wouldn't have the materials for a Halloween costume in time. All told, it took two months to receive the product. Since then, I have ordered two sets of gauntlets and two helmets besides the ones I ordered from Bradleyfett. Each one took two months to reach me. Bradleyfett's took only a month. That must seem a long time to some, but was shorter by half than any other hobbiest seller I'd had experience with to that point. I think the perceived difficulties with the vac-formed helmet came of a few issues, primarily that it was a new concept, and most people'd had no experience with it. To date, I've only seen Wickedbeard's and tk7602's fine examples of painted vac-formed Boba buckets. When someone had a question, there were very few people who'd worked with them to offer advice. I only know Bradleyfett from this one purchase, but I had absolutely no problems working with him. I know no one's bashing him, but I think there's a wrong impression being developed here. There are real plusses (sp?) to Bradleyfett's bucket--namely price, and symmetry. I'm considering buying a third, and I'm not even finished painting my first. I wouldn't think twice about doing business with him again.

Having said that, I certainly don't mean to belittle the frustration of waiting for a purchase you expected sooner--I've felt that with each of mine, cuz I wanted them that afternoon, let alone two months later. And I don't mean to dismiss the dismay at opening a box and finding something completely different from what was purchased. What a let down that must have been/still is.

Respectfully,

ioelus
    Nov 6, 2007, 11:19 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #96

Fair enough. Guess I'm still learning. Just wanted to put out a different perspective.
    Nov 7, 2007, 6:22 AM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #97

How much are these ? Looks like a great helm.. Price and shipping to Florida ? Maybe 2 or 3 ?

Thanks

Cadial
    Nov 7, 2007, 7:54 AM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #98

Cadial - Welcome to the forums - just a heads up (if you read the above post) you will notice Bradley hasn't been on line in about a month - you might want to shoot him a PM until then. It might be a while until you hear something.
    Nov 7, 2007, 10:55 AM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #99

If you are talking in part about the white one... it is a Judz Dwedd. Which I have heard are a challenge to find now as well...

The one up at the top of the post (in the Boba Fett green paint) is styrene as made by Bradley and painted by another fellow... which looks superb I must say.

I still hope he can pull through, or give us an update... he may be sick or having family stuff. That is usually when I go underground.

Still standing by.

John

Quote Cadial said: View Post
    How much are these ? Looks like a great helm.. Price and shipping to Florida ? Maybe 2 or 3 ?

Thanks

Cadial
    Nov 12, 2007, 6:27 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #100

Is Bradley Fett Alive?