Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Sep 2, 2007, 4:07 PM - Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #1

It has been suggested to me that for the benefit of anyone who wasn't following the vacuformed helmet thread, I should start another thread just for this.

Like a lot of us, I've always wanted to do a bunch of different helmet paint-jobs to display together- mostly a Jango and the McQuarrie logo designs developed before ESB. This is my way of making lower-cost helmets for just that purpose. I had a left-over fiberglass shell from my Disney projects that had been slated to become my Jango (who knows when I would have gotten around to that project!). Instead, I sliced it up and made vacuform bucks. I wasn't sure exactly how it would turn out, but I'm very pleased with the results!

Since my set of custom helmets will be just for display, I'm not sure if I will just paint the visor black, or install an actual tinted lense.

So I've ended up with a 9-piece 'kit' of sorts from which I can make my Mandolorian army of helmets:

Vacuformed .080" styrene shell (3 pieces), resin ears and rangefinder, templates to cut out 'turn signals', extra styrene to aid in joining parts and behind 'turn signals'.

Templates for both the T-visor and the rangefinder stalk.

Here is the info:

Vacuformed .080" styrene shell (3 pieces), resin ears and rangefinder, templates to cut out 'turn signals', extra styrene to aid in joining parts and behind 'turn signals'.

The only things not included with the kit to do a complete helmet are the smoked clear visor and the rangefinder stalk. However, templates for both are included so you can cut your own.

Also included are some strips of styrene to aid in joining the front and back halves under the ears.

Pics of assembled helmet before any finishing (putty, paint, etc.):

Note: there is no 'dent' to doing Boba versions, since most customs will be 'non-Boba' (Jango or custom Mando). However, its easy to make a dent by heating up a small spot with a hair-dryer or something similar and pushing in.

If anyone is interested in one of these, PM me here!

Mark
    Last edited by Bradleyfett; Sep 7, 2007 at 2:30 PM.
    Sep 2, 2007, 6:23 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #2

When you say movie-sized, is it Boba sized or Jango sized?

IIRC Jango's helmet is smaller than Boba's (correct me if I'm wrong)

Also do you have images of one completed?
  3. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Sep 2, 2007, 6:44 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #3

'Movie-size' simply means it isn't the smallish Don Post or Rubies Vinyl size. I actually don't know about the size difference between the Boba and Jango helmets.

I'll be working on a tutorial and I'll post pics of the completed helmet soon.

Mark
  4. Sep 3, 2007, 1:54 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #4

You have a PM sir.And this is a great idea.I am so tired of fiberglass and resin buckets.
    Please say this is going to be an ongoing project, as I may be doing a lot of business with you.
    the price is extremely nice.
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Sep 3, 2007, 2:42 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #5

Great job Bradley You better post this thread in the Dented Variants! I'm sure these will become a hit.

Will you include a small styrene cutout to place behind the two arrows that are cut out? Ever think about recasting your mold for the top dome to include a dent?
    Last edited by GCNgamer128; Sep 3, 2007 at 2:48 PM.
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Sep 3, 2007, 4:30 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #6

Any pics of a completed bucket?
    Sep 3, 2007, 9:01 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #7

I'm really happy to see this project go through to completion. Great job! It's nice to have more helmet options out there, and one that's probably as durable as a TK bucket.

What do you think you'd charge for just the three main pieces, or for just the dome? I imagine that dome would make things a lot easier for the DIY Fetts that are using Wizardofflight's templates.
    Sep 3, 2007, 9:46 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #8

Amazing work Mark. Your stuff is pretty top notch I would say, and you deliver in good time! Can't beat that price either.
  9. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Sep 4, 2007, 5:41 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #9

"Will you include a small styrene cutout to place behind the two arrows that are cut out? Ever think about recasting your mold for the top dome to include a dent?"

There will be enough styrene included for that, yes.

I may do another dome mold to include a dent if enough people need it. Right now, that option would be 'do-it-yourself'.

"Any pics of a completed bucket?"

Check out the link below some shot of the assembled helmet:
    Keep in mind that it is assembled, but no finish work has been done (putty, etc.) to give you an idea of how well it goes together:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1086755...7601817197662/

"What do you think you'd charge for just the three main pieces, or for just the dome? I imagine that dome would make things a lot easier for the DIY Fetts that are using Wizardofflight's templates."

Good ideas- I can certainly part-out the kit in any way someone needs. I'd say about $45 for all the vacform parts, $25 for just a dome (shipping extra).

Mark
  10. Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Sep 6, 2007, 1:06 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #10

That looks pretty good. Can you give us a measurement of the front and back from your first photo? Wondering how tall those are? Thanks Alot!!
  11. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Sep 6, 2007, 2:04 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #11

Sorry for so many questions, but how much would you say the helmet weighs after full construction?
  12. Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Sep 9, 2007, 10:21 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #12

Has anyone heard from Bradleyfett recently?

I sent him a PM about a helmet and Jango gauntlets on Thursday, but haven't gotten a response yet.

Is he just really busy?

-Eric
  13. Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Sep 24, 2007, 11:28 AM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #13

*bump*

Anybody have any other contacts to reach BradleyFett at that they could PM me? I sent him a couple of PMs a few weeks ago with no response.

Thanks,

-Eric
    Sep 24, 2007, 11:55 AM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #14

Have you checked the status of your PM's to see if they have been read yet or not?

Edit- Also try PMing him again today, just in case he checked them and forgot about them...Or they got lost in the mix.
    Sep 24, 2007, 6:39 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #15

he must have been busy...he sent me a pm today and told me he got my cash and would keep me posted
  16. Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Sep 24, 2007, 7:28 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #16

He just wrote me back now. So all is well (provided he can set me up for Halloween )

I'm a ghostbusters parts seller so I totally understand being busy at this time of year.

-Eric
    Sep 29, 2007, 7:36 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #17

I'm relatively new. How do you PM? :o

Nevermind, I figured it out.
    Last edited by tooclonecrazy; Sep 29, 2007 at 7:49 PM.
    Sep 29, 2007, 8:10 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #18

Click on the username above their avatar and a drop down menu will pop-up. Should be the second option "Send a Private Message to..."

Welcome to TDH!
  19. Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Sep 29, 2007, 8:44 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #19

Very nice and an excellent job!!

Jeanne
    Oct 4, 2007, 4:52 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #20

Forgive me for not knowing any better... But why is the boba helmet a different size then the jango helmet??? Was it just due to the actors head size???

And also... I am probably totally wrong, but I think the Mystery helmet was a leak from the episode two jango helmet.

And one last thing, why does boba have a dimple on his helmet? That thingy that looks like a watch battery on his cheek?
  21. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Oct 4, 2007, 5:19 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #21

Quote loveless said: View Post
    Forgive me for not knowing any better... But why is the boba helmet a different size then the jango helmet??? Was it just due to the actors head size???

And also... I am probably totally wrong, but I think the Mystery helmet was a leak from the episode two jango helmet.

And one last thing, why does boba have a dimple on his helmet? That thingy that looks like a watch battery on his cheek?
    Because they were built 25 years apart and blah blah and so fourth

The Mystery Helmet has no affiliation to the Jango Helmet.

Just 'cause.
    Oct 4, 2007, 5:26 PM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #22

The dimple is part of a borden connector. I guess it's just there for looks...just an extra greeblie.
    Oct 5, 2007, 12:01 AM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #23

OK, so nobody knows the answer's then. No bro, not cause there made so many years apart. I always thought the jango was a scanned replica of the original boba that tye and his crew made for the show.
    Sounds like your just giving me your opinions, not answers.

Can you disprove any affiliation to the mystery and the jango, or do you say that just because.

Also, jango and boba helmets are the same size. There basically the same helmet. Tye Teager scanned the boba to create jango for the EP2 show.
    Last edited by loveless; Oct 5, 2007 at 12:30 AM.
  24. I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    Oct 5, 2007, 1:56 AM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #24

Before the thread gets too hijacked, it is for selling the "Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit."

Loveless,
    The "dimple" is a Borden connector. It's a found part that was on the original props from ESB and ROTJ.

The discussion of mystery helmets is a long discussion. They've been around longer than SW EP I, II, and III. The best way to get up to speed is to use the search function on this board and read all about the RS plug, the Lava Helmet, the Don Post Deluxe, and so, so much more. There are many versions of Boba helmets used in the SW films, pre-production suits, and currently in the exhibits.

I personally haven't heard about a Boba helmet being scanned to make the Jango, but the question would be, which Boba helmet was scanned? Again, there are many versions. I've seen a ROTJ and Jango bucket next to each other in person, and the Jango looks smaller. There are people on this site that own a reproduction of the actual Jango bucket and also own a copy from a plug of an actual Boba bucket, so they'd be the ones to truly say.

The search function can take you to all the threads discussing this subject. For now let's keep this thread for MB's cool lower-cost helmet.

P.S. Ask Brak's Buddy all those questions too, he seems to know everybody and everything about Fett stuff.
    Oct 5, 2007, 11:54 AM - Re: Lower-cost movie-sized helmet kit #25

Quote loveless said: View Post
    OK, so nobody knows the answer's then. No bro, not cause there made so many years apart. I always thought the jango was a scanned replica of the original boba that tye and his crew made for the show.
    Sounds like your just giving me your opinions, not answers.

Can you disprove any affiliation to the mystery and the jango, or do you say that just because.

Also, jango and boba helmets are the same size. There basically the same helmet. Tye Teager scanned the boba to create jango for the EP2 show.

I can tell you definitively that whether or not the Jango helmet is related to the Boba helmet, that they are NOT the same size. I have an original jango helmet, I have hands on experience with the Boba helmets. The Boba helmet is considerably larger. The reason for this is probably the height difference between Jeremy Bulloch and Temuera Morrison. Even if the Jango helmet was "scanned" from a Boba helmet, they made significant modifications to the helmet, including shrinking it. This is not my opinion. It is simply a fact that the Jango helmet is smaller and different from the Boba helmet.