Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keyslot install

Keyslot install

Whats the best way to install the keysolts on the Asok CC Jango helmet?

From
    North Texas

Re: Keyslot install

Sand down the edges a bit to make sure everything lines up and fits flush. Then I just use 5 min epoxy and stick it on there.

The main thing is to make sure you fit the opening. If the keyslot side it still too big it won't fit the curve at the back of the helmet and will cause gaps.

Has anyone tired using Chicago screws? Then you could remove it to polish if needed.

From
    Pennsylvania

Dremel, 60 grit sandpaper, and epoxy putty.

@ Mullreel Thanks for the tip
    @ Devilstar Thanks for the pics

I assume I will need to sand the inside of the helmet as well.

From
    Pennsylvania

Yup, a little bit at a time until it fits into place... on both pieces.

Well I tried that method and screwed up the keyslots guess I when alittle to fast....Time to break out the resin and the aluminum powder....

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

after I cut out the square n the back for the slots I measure all four sides and cut out a paper template of the back. After that I center the key slots on the template, then mark the outer line of the template on the piece. I cut the excess off, sand the back down a bit, the sand the edges on a bit of a bevel to fit. Then some extra thick ca glue to hold it in place. I've been asked to post a tutorial with pics, and I completely spaced it out on this last helmet, but it's ok, i've still got 3 more to do very soon. That tut will be posted, fear not, gentle reader.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Get yourself a file kit from Home Depot, and it shouldn't take more than an hour.

From
    Pennsylvania

saint_nasty said: View Post
    after I cut out the square n the back for the slots I measure all four sides and cut out a paper template of the back. After that I center the key slots on the template, then mark the outer line of the template on the piece. I cut the excess off, sand the back down a bit, the sand the edges on a bit of a bevel to fit. Then some extra thick ca glue to hold it in place. I've been asked to post a tutorial with pics, and I completely spaced it out on this last helmet, but it's ok, i've still got 3 more to do very soon. That tut will be posted, fear not, gentle reader.
    Yeah, since mine was getting painted, I just marked right on the keyslots... Well, I guess you could do it with cc too. That crease gets weathered on Jango anyway.

I ended up applying abit of resin with the powder mixed in to fix where I messed up not the best fix but I guess its acceptable.

From
    Newcastle NSW Australia

I've just ordered a second keyslot panel off Asok because my first one is stuffed

Not because of anything I did! no slip of the dremel, not even from accidently dropping it no Sir!!

Well dropping it may have had something to do with it....dropping it next to my dogs bed in the garage maybe

yeah I didn't name him Chewie for nothin' you know

From
    United States

LOL, sorry for your 'loss' but "the dog at my keyslo"t is a good one!

@ Werstrooper Sorry to hear that your in the same boat. Its rather tricky install wish the key slots had been made into the helmet.

Guys one other quick question? I have started painting my lid and the Rustoleum Royal Blue is coming up rather bumpy. Whats the story on this? Shouldn't it be spraying flat? Do I need to sand it after I spray the Royal Blue on?

From
    Pennsylvania

I hate Rustoleum royal blue... I buy a new can for every helmet. It only sprays for a short time until it starts sputtering like mad.

Odd part is that it was a new can but it figures with my luck.

I got to thinking Devilstar could it be the primer which is causing the paint to bump up?

From
    Pennsylvania

No clue, really... What primer is it? Is it that automotive primer? That stuff can get a layer of dust on it. Try krylon primer.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

i'm still using my first ever can of rustoleum royal blue, i've done like seven helmets with it so far. soon to be another two or three more. just be sure to hold it upside down and spray the nozzle clean before and after you use it.

i like to prime twice when i do a helmet too. i use rustoleum filler primer first, then wet sand it down a bit with 800 grit. then i use rustoleum automotive primer and wet sand that with 1000 grit. after that you're ready for paint.

From
    Pennsylvania

Use the krylon primer and you won't have to sand it at all... You should try it sometime.

EDIT-

As far as spraying the blue cans clean, I've tried that and its hit or miss. It doesn't always work. Seems to me that once they start sputtering, its **** near impossible to get it to stop no matter what you do. But then again, what do I know? Its not like I ever painted a helmet before, right?
    Last edited by Devilstar2k2; Jan 10, 2011 at 9:03 PM.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

you make a valid argument. a lot of people get crackle when they put the royal blue over the ocean blue too. it may have something to do with the altitude i'm at or the lack of humidity in the mountains.

i've used all sorts of different primers and i've found i get best results when i sand them with a high grit before i put any color down. it's just part of my process for painting now.

From
    Pennsylvania

The visor should be painted after the cheeks... Then if you under spray, or get a tape line, it doesn't show and/or can be retouched without even being able to tell that it ever happened.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

i go the other way with it. after priming twice i put down the ocean blue, tape it off, lightly sand the ears and cheeks with 1000, then put the royal blue down. there's a little bit of a paint line, but it totally passes the three foot check.

From
    Pennsylvania

I just think the paint line looks better if it falls on the cheek and not the visor, being that the visor is in the 'foreground'. As far as a line on the ears, that can get weathered in with acrylic crud.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

my taping technique is very time intensive, so my paint line is right on the line of the of the mandible and the upper cheek.