Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Just a question about Westar blasters limited availability

From
    Marana, Arizona

Re: Just a question about Westar blasters limited availability

all i know is i just need some high quality blasters guys...LOL

well, the way i usually look at things is to get something good, but not perfect, done right away. then it takes the pressure off to perfect things.

do you think the jango blasters could be done in just a simple 2 part mold, coming out as 1 solid piece of resin?

they wouldn't be amazing, but they'd be better than what's out there now. then from there work on tweaking out the perfect metal / multi-part resin blasters

I've thought of the all inclusive 2 piece mold to make it all at once, but I wouldnt make them like that. Looking at my MR's in front of me, I see 5 areas that are potential problems in casting it like that, with one screaming to me, don't do it.

Your turn Cruz...

From
    Marana, Arizona

actually the one part mold wouldnt really give you what you want anyway...the parts that are chome you could never get them to look right in resin unless you had them dipped and that would be crazy...i think if the handgrip was done in resin and everything else done in a machined parts, it would make for a real nice blaster. Personally im going with some chome pipe for the barrel and most of the top parts will be misc chome hardware that i can locate to make them as clos as possible...the real problem with this blaster is the barrel end. without getting a machined alumin piece that is chomed, it will be difficult to have anything of high quality that can compare to the MRs

I'm not a huge fan of an all resin blaster for trooping anyhow, especially with any price attached to it. One wrong drop and it could be history. Heck, you should see me practiicing the jango spinning westar into the holster move. More than once it's come flying off the finger so far , so I'm glad I've got metal ones.

Regardless, I am going to leave this thread for Cruzer. This was Cruzer's interest thread, not mine, and I don't want to step on any toes here and get in his way. You guys know he'll do what's right, he always has.

From
    Porterville, California

Really I was just posing the question since we really don't have a good supplier for that one part. This would be a cool little side project if I had some extra time, but that's rarely the case for me these days. I could see it becoming a reality maybe after I do a few gauntlet runs. But right now, I'd find more relief in someone else taking this project on that could do it correctly and in the highest quality possible. So I'm serious when I say "please, do it so I don't have to".:thumbup

From
    Porterville, California

I was just chatting with Dark-Side a little and he was saying it'd be expensive to make even just one set. That'd be nice when sets of MR blasters can no longer be found on ebay.

I still like the idea of flexible urethane (rubber) blasters to aleviate the delimmas of the whole accidental dropping problems you mentionied, Steelblitz.

The more I discuss this project, the more I get excited about it...so I need to unsubscribe to this thread asap!

From
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

One of my garrison squad members is currently playing around making molds with smooth-on. I'm going to talk with him about possibly helping me out with constructing some Westars. I know that I can replicate the parts and still keep a good deal of the details/accuracy, it's just what materials would be feesable to cast them in. ( I too don't want to see my resin blasters go flying out of my hands and shatter on the ground )

I'll keep you guys posted on what I can come up with. I might require assistance from those of you with experience in mold making and casting. ( **cough-Cruzer-** )

From
    Porterville, California

Just to be upfront, Jango72, there are so many stages, specifics, and intricacies to mold making based on the type of mold being made, that your best bet is to pair up with someone in your area who has the knowledge and can work side-by-side with you. There are some things that just can't be shown or would be impossible to accurately explain in text. I still don't have all of that knowledge which is why I had someone else more knowledgeable make my gauntlet molds. In addition, the high expense of silicone alone doesn't leave much room for many trial and error sessions.

The feat of coming up with an accurate pair of mold-able blasters alone seems like it's going to be a challenge. So if you're up to tackling this project, I'd recommend getting ahold of a pair of MRs you can dismantle and use, since it sounds like the majority consensous right now seems to be that it wouldn't be frowned upon by the Jango costuming community.

I say go for it. There's no better teacher than hands-on learning.

From
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Understood Cruzer, but my original intentions would've been to construct the parts, then ship them to you to have them molded and cast.
    I have an idea at the moment... I'd first construct them out of wood and metal tubing, then have them cast in rubber, with a metal/brass tube running down the centre of the barrel. Or I could just make up a wood and metal Westar kit, some assembly required.

I'll have to get together with my squad member to see if he'd be willing to help me out with this, and if he's got any other suggestions. I'll keep you guys posted as best I can.

Cruzer said: View Post
    In addition, the high expense of silicone alone doesn't leave much room for many trial and error sessions.
    yeah... i spent around $130 on the mold for my jayne serenity pistol, due to repeated errors.

From
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Well, in the interests of keeping the costs low/reasonable, I think that I'll go with the wood and metal style. I'll see what I can come up with that could be done as a fully assembled or kit version. ( It might take me a bit as I think through the entire process in my head so that I can work out any concieveable bugs before comiting. I tend to alter my methods and/or designs as I'll have a brainstorm on a better or easier way to fabricate something. )

I have been thinking about this for some time as well, even at $300 the MR we out of my reach. I have the basic drawings done. I have them broken down into seperate peices. They just need to be dimensioned.

Most of the barrel pieces can be made from various types of tubing. I found some 1" Al tubing that is perfect for the main barrel and some 3/4" brass for the inner barrel.

The flash surpression is the hard part, but I just got my lathe up an running and I am about to give it a go out of plastic first just to work out the techique and then Al.

For a kit I think machined parts might drive the cost up, but a multi media kit with resin and metal and wood could be done fairly cheaply. For that matter even a partial kit could be produced for cheap, it would require more work for the buyer, but most of the materials are available at the hardware store and hobby shops.

Alan

so really all you're talking about would be a resin handle, aluminium barrel, and mount (cut accordingly for length, shape, and central channels) brass inner tube, then the only parts that need machining are the flash supressor, and "power cell" butt-piece

Now those two parts on their own are quite small, and would certainly cut down on moulding costs. Could a cold cast flash supressor and butt-piece achieve the same metallic finish as an aluminium barrel?

From
    Marana, Arizona

alan...I would be very interested in a MR scaled supressor set in the aluminum if you get them done in the future...Ive got the barrel worked out i think and im using some resin hand grips from a resin copy of what i beleive was a set of MR blasters. I got them off ebay and the resin was kind of poor...nothing i couldnt fix with bondo and patience but i figured i would lose the resin top and keep the hand grips, making the rest out of various chome plated tube...a set of machined aluminum supressors would do nicely to finish these up...lol

From
    Cordova, TN

I will offer up any molding and making time and skills on this project. Cruzer and Alan, feel free to pm me. I am definitely down.

From
    Cordova, TN

BUMP for update:

I work as an art director for an import company, we deal with a machine shop here in town. I am going to talk with them later this week or early next week. I will post an update right after that meeting.

From
    Auckland, New Zealand

Hi All,
    Fairly new to TDH and don’t post often but read loads.

However I am no stranger to making props and have started making an accurate Westar sculpt for my Jango WIP.
    As an example of my work I made these for my garrison.
    http://outpost42.dr-maul.com/forums/...=8&t=1189&st=0

I actually own all of the blasters you mentioned above.
    MR’s
    Resin set
    Rubies set
    And an Unknown resin set (lot like the first set but with subtle differences)

I have actually started work on a sculpt and molds for these, by taking a bit from each.

Let me explain.
    I do not want to recast my MR’s as it not a challenge for me and I want something I can call my own.

I have taken measurements from all of the above and obviously the MR’s are the accurate ones
    Here is the comparison

MR’s = Perfect
    Rubies = close to accurate handle size, though a little wide, Barrel diameter wrong, barrel length to short, receiver end totally wrong.
    Resin blasters= Handle to large, too wide (just way off), barrel close in length and diameter, recess in barrel to long, receiver end close but not exact.

What I have started doing is this.
    I dremelled off the rubies handle, took a few mm of each side and glued them together, took the foot off (I call it the pistol whip butt), filled with bondo and modeling puttied over screw holes etc to make them smooth.

I have started the barrel and I am just working out the best method to make a kit that is easy to put together and accurate, thinking of 2 method, a hollow aluminum barrel with a keyed resin insert to attach the barrel ends too or a solid resin barrel like the resin kits, but more accurate.
    If anything the only things I will take from the MR’s as far as casting goes will be the barrel ends and pistol whip foot.

I will get some photos for anyone interested, I was only planning on doing 1 set but if there is interest then I may do more.

Regards Deadalus

From
    Marana, Arizona

CGClone said: View Post
    BUMP for update:

I work as an art director for an import company, we deal with a machine shop here in town. I am going to talk with them later this week or early next week. I will post an update right after that meeting.
    what parts were you thinking of doing in machined aluminum?

Deadalus, that sounds promising, only problem is, you say you'll be casting the flash supressor and energy cell (the two ends of the barrel) Now, those being a different material from the barrel, the whole thing will have to be sprayed anyway, losing the jaw-dropping metal finish that the MRs have. That is, unless you can cast them in some kind of metallic finish resin, like FP's jango lids.

From
    Auckland, New Zealand

NOITAIDAR said: View Post
    Deadalus, that sounds promising, only problem is, you say you'll be casting the flash supressor and energy cell (the two ends of the barrel) Now, those being a different material from the barrel, the whole thing will have to be sprayed anyway, losing the jaw-dropping metal finish that the MRs have. That is, unless you can cast them in some kind of metallic finish resin, like FP's jango lids.
    Thanks, i can never remember the names of those parts

That was one part of the Idea, using a cold cast metallic resin.
    However, the only true way to get an accurate finish would be to machine them. and sadly i dont have access to that sort of equipment anymore.

still working on what would be the best solution for the barrel and barrel ends.
    Handle is sorted tho.

the cold cast can be polished up. I saw how nice FP's helmet looked with just a quick steel wool buffing, so I believe that would be acceptable for the blasters, but it'd take some doing to get the pipe barrel section to look the same. it'd mean using alu pipe, rather than shinier chrome, and buffing the same way. It'll look metal, but not quite as shiny as the chromed MRs. I believe this is acceptable

From
    Salt Lake City, UT

I would be all over resin copies of the MRs, OR a kit with different materials in different parts.

I would think that with all-resin blasters you can still achieve different metal lusters using different types of paint... say, like Testors buffing metallizer for one area, with a Krylon paint somewhere else, and maybe some Rub'n'buff elsewhere. Know what I mean?

Even if what I'm saying is not possible, I'd still pay to see some MR recasts done.

From
    Cordova, TN

BUMP for update:

Sorry it has taken near 2 months to get this rolling. I am planning my wedding as well LOL...

I am not trying to compete with tubachris' thread, I am just following through on what I started.

I have been given permission from Alan,(wizardofflight) to use his templates. The machinist has them and it working on the prototype for me. He is tracking his hours and material cost to help determine a price.

I should know more next week on where we stand as far as delivery and cost.

If this proves to be a conflict with tubachris, I will back this down. Again, I am just following through with what I started. No offense or confusion meant.

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Sorry it has taken near 2 months to get this rolling. I am planning my wedding as well LOL...

I am not trying to compete with tubachris' thread, I am just following through on what I started.

I have been given permission from Alan,(wizardofflight) to use his templates. The machinist has them and it working on the prototype for me. He is tracking his hours and material cost to help determine a price.

I should know more next week on where we stand as far as delivery and cost.

If this proves to be a conflict with tubachris, I will back this down. Again, I am just following through with what I started. No offense or confusion meant.
    I dont want you to get the impression that Im trying to compete with anyone on this project, and Im not trying to make a buck either, I just want to help those who dont have a decent set, to be able to get something more quality then a cheap resin or rubies blasters.

By all means, go ahead, it seems your making better progress on this then I am, and if yours goes through, I might just let you take over competly, only because the guy I have is not really working out as well as I had hoped for.

But please do not ever think that your ever in competition with me for anything, Im a better person then that

-tubachris