Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Subscribe
    Mar 17, 2008, 5:32 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #151

okay...so now that ive had some time to take a deep breath and try and figure out a solution....i began to come up with something...not sure how it will turn out cause ive never done anything like this before...

today i cut my back plate in half...from top to bottom...i then heated up a curve in the armor so they side would come closer to my shoulders and create the actual curve that was missing in the backplate ive got atm....i then used a sintra sign to hold the two pieces together and then fiberglassed in the void with resin and matte...here is the progress thus far....

i will then fiberglass inside to create more strength in the repair and then bondo the outside for a smooth finish. I also have to bondo near the arm pit area cause both sides bent and cracked when reshaping the backplate.

I was able to reshape the backplate by using a lighter to heat up the curve i was looking for. once it was hot enough and was able to bend, i warped it and ran that section under cold water to set the new shape. It's not perfect but it allowed the shoulders of the backplate to curve properly and it works better for my shoulder placement.

this btw does not change my desire to obtain one of your backplates lorenzo...however if this works as a temporary solution i may wait to upgrade to yours until you get a new mold made up;-)
    Mar 18, 2008, 9:36 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #152

so here is the backplate progress for jango of sparta...

finished up with the fiberglass and bondo...

here it is with the first coat of primer...

dang latissimus dorsi!
    Mar 18, 2008, 9:52 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #153

wow, I would never had had the balls to try that. Looks really good
    Mar 19, 2008, 12:40 AM - Re: jdfett Jango project #154

That turned out awesome! I guess I can put the one I made today for you aside. You'da man!!
    Mar 19, 2008, 12:52 AM - Re: jdfett Jango project #155

awesome job JD! Looks great!
    Mar 19, 2008, 9:05 AM - Re: jdfett Jango project #156

Lookin good!
    Mar 19, 2008, 11:00 AM - Re: jdfett Jango project #157

That turned out great! I would have given up, but not you!
    Mar 19, 2008, 1:27 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #158

okay...

so i finished up the sanding and the rub and buff on this stupid backplate today...got all the attachments back together and actually added some additional security to the set up...

I losened it for this shot so you could see what i did, but it gets pulled tight so the clip is at the hole in the shoulder. the tail off both shoelaces then goes over my shoulders and around to the front where i will tie it tight to a "d-ring" that will be sewed to the chest of my jumpsuit. this set up makes the whole vest, armor and jet pack one piece. I actually put it all one in the next group of shots without taking anything apart.

here you can see the left side is off a bit at the shoulder because the velcro is not together and closed...the string has not been pulled down tight to the hole in the vest either.

here you can see the pack is a tad off center...i will need Jamie to place it correctly when im wearing the vest so it will be adjusted and correct. I was kinda guessing before i through it all on for the shots...

from the right side it looks okay..still seperates a bit from the vest at the shoulder...more than i would like, but i think with this backplate being so inacurate in shape, it's the best i can do...

the left side again is way off the shoulder due to the string not being taut and the shoulder not being velcroed...at least thats what im hoping..
    Mar 19, 2008, 2:05 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #159

i also took a couple other shots with me cinching up the system by holding it down taught in the front...they look much better this way so im satisfied...

this side i suppose i couldve heat up and warped a tad more but too late for that now..lol

i also finsihed up my gloves...simple gardening gloves...same as jamie's zam gloves...I used an upholstery spray color that was close to get the color i wanted...it's a flexible paint...it needs touch ups every now and then but it will do seeing as i can't fit my hands into girly gloves..lol

flash

no flash
    Mar 20, 2008, 2:39 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #160

finished my gauntlets so for the most part the costume is finished...got some small things to do like sew in a clip inside the sleeves for the hoses and i wanted to add some fiberglass to the straps on the leg armor as well as sure up the knee armor with some fiberglass too...

i just need to grab a couple 1/4 X 1/8th hose barbs for the right gauntlet.

Mar 20, 2008, 10:01 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #161

ow! ow! those are gorgeous!
    Mar 20, 2008, 11:03 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #162

It's all coming along nicely, JD. You've got good reason to be very proud of your hard work and determination to get this thing done.
    Mar 21, 2008, 11:55 AM - Re: jdfett Jango project #163

finished up the last of the needed work this morning on this project...

i added some fiberglass to the backs of my leg armor to make the straps part of the armor so they wouldn't pop off od tear off during a troop

i also sured up the asok knees i have. because the knees were abs and a bit flimsy on the sides i wanted to make them a bit stronger so i added a bit of fiberglass to the inside connections...

i also sewed a clip on the flightsuit to hold the hoses in place. the wire i have is temporary but i plan to put a screw and bolt through the hoses and then clip this together that way...

just waiting for the blasters to come to reality on TDH..someone is trying to get aluminum machined westars!
    Mar 21, 2008, 7:50 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #164

here is the finished costume! hooray!!!!

the only thing i wasnt thrilled about was how hard it was to get the pins in the gauntlets...i may file them down a bit...also the way the hoses sit was an issue for me, i think the need to be shorter cause they were poshing on the sleeve...the glove solution will be good for the photo shoot, but not long term. i think ill be trying the nulife spray theory next...everything else was looking and feeling pretty sweet!

totally pumped to be a new daddy!
    Mar 21, 2008, 8:03 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #165

AWESOME DUDE! this came out great! i've been following your progress for the last few months and i'm thrilled to see it complete. i'm not sure how tall you are, but your body type looks the jango part dead on! again, congrats man!
    Mar 21, 2008, 8:29 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #166

Looks good man! I just "finished" mine off today also and submitted the pics. Two more Jangos on the east coast done. Yeah!
    Mar 21, 2008, 8:44 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #167

Freakin' Awesome!!!
    You guys are making me want to do another suit.
    Hate to hear the pin is giving you problems. I'd suggesting sanding the stem down with some 120 or so and then giving it a good coat of all purpose oil. I did that with my son's pair and it helped a lot!

Again, nice!
    Last edited by Cruzer; Mar 21, 2008 at 9:12 PM.
    Mar 21, 2008, 10:00 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #168

thanks alot guys..i gotta tell you this was a long and very tedious project as anyone here knows. to hear from such an elite group of guys and get the props is totally awesome and i so appeciate everything this community has offered in me getting this project completed. without the dented helmet and its group of fantastic and talented folks this never wouldve happened..i owe a ton to cruzer, bkbt and loanstar for all thier materials ans especially to cruzer for his continued help and stepping up to assist me when needed..thanks man

i must also say that the pin issue im sure is operator and construction error and nothing to do with you lorenzo..lol i will try that idea as thats one of the things i was thinking about doing actually...

rock on all you future jangos!
    Mar 22, 2008, 2:01 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #169

Wow! I should just copy what I just said to Steelbitz, but you get the idea!

Looks awesome! All that frustration paid off!
    Mar 22, 2008, 2:04 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #170

Yeah it turned out great! Good Job!
  21. I helped at SDCC '08 Bountyone's Avatar
    Mar 22, 2008, 2:44 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #171

Fantastic JD, another Jango completed that looks the nuts bro.
    Mar 22, 2008, 4:25 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #172

That look awesome JD.
    Jul 8, 2008, 10:00 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #173

Thought for those who have not seen the thread in the sarlacc pit about the boston photoshoot with Art, i would post a few of my jango shots here for you to scope out.

here are some of my favorites...

and for those interested backpackers in the group...lol

For those who dont know here is a quick rundown on my costume...

BKBT helmet and armor (back plate exception - juddz dwedd)
    Lonestar vest and flightsuit
    seeker ammo belt
    jdfett girth belt
    cruzer gauntlets and holsters
    jet pack...not sure of the origin but painted and repaired from scratch by me with aluminum beacon and switch

also have the metal ears and range finder stalk from evan/spideyfett
    gauntlets have all aluminum parts, rocket, switches, darts, ect.

not so great stuff...(upgraded sometime)

i own rubies nasty blasters(mirax was kind enough to lend me her MRs for the shoot..thanks hun!)
    boots are generic police style close enoughs
    gloves are generic with upholstery spray paint
    hope to replace my back plate with a cruzer one sometime!

all armor and helmet painted by me with paint, rub and buff and weathering
    Last edited by JDFett; Jul 8, 2008 at 10:08 PM.
    Jul 8, 2008, 10:35 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #174

Looks SWEET!
    Your girthbelt looks really good and really pulls all of the leather gear together.
    With your awesome skill you took so many different parts from various talented artist and made them come together perfectly!!:thumbup
    Jul 8, 2008, 11:58 PM - Re: jdfett Jango project #175

jet pack is an old ruffkintoys vac formed one.