Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

jdfett Jango project

Re: jdfett Jango project

O yeah and for weathering I suggest putting on your final clear (dull) coat on before and acrylic wash. That way if you dont like it you can scrub the paint off and do it again.

You can also do some dark browns after the black wash and flick spots of browns on for dirt if you so wish.

Actually the brown works better for the arena but I like it on both...

From
    Marana, Arizona

man my eyes must be going with old age...i see the breaks in the black on the thrusters now...

im going to use the black wash as a general all over weathering...then detail it with dark browns and tans along with some spanish copper RnB layed on thicker in some spots...plus a few other colors i can see in the reference pics...

From
    Marana, Arizona

so here is the jet pack finished before i get into the weathering. I still need to paint the dark grey ring on the missile and hit the top with some kinf of "bronzish" color as well as add the stickers when they come in.

also this arrived in the mail today!

Thanks to BKBT for another fine product...as well as the little gift...

Can I pick on you one more time? The center of the + on the thruster should be white not black. The dimple should be white with either a black ring or no black ring on the lip.......

WOW my brain is fried I have painted too many Jango packs.....

From
    Madera,Ca

That pack is looking great. Good work

From
    Marana, Arizona

firstsonofsolo said: View Post
    Can I pick on you one more time? The center of the + on the thruster should be white not black. The dimple should be white with either a black ring or no black ring on the lip.......

WOW my brain is fried I have painted too many Jango packs.....

thats cool...thanks for the input...i based the dark gray from the pack i saw on the reference cd for the + center, I'll double check some other pics too but i think once its all weathered it will be hard to tell anyways.

From
    Marana, Arizona

I did have a question for anyone who may know...

in regards to the helmet, 1. should i rub and buff and then paint? 2. whats the best course of action for the black pinstriping, and what are the colors to use ( i know i saw that somewhere but i couldnt find it)

Rustoleum royal blue
    krylon "shortcuts" ocean blue (its a tiny little can)

use 1/8 in pinstriping for the helmet you can get it from autoparts stores like autozone or CSK or oreillys.......(whatever is in your neck of the woods)

if 1/8 looks too big for your helmet get the 1/16 in

From
    Marana, Arizona

thanks...i actually have that ocean blue stuff left over from my clone...i knew i kept it for a reason..LOL

here is the helmet with the rnb done...I left some imperfections as they came in the helmet figuring it will add to the weathered look later...

I may have to hit it one more time after i cut out the key hole slots and the t visor.

From
    Marana, Arizona

did the cutouts and the sanding...does anyone know if the paint will go over and residual r N b? i got 90% off and wasnt sure if i should go bananas on getting every last bit off.

From
    Orlando, Florida

Wow that's pretty shiney... but not too shiney. Nice job! I don't believe paint and RnB mix very well since it's a sort of wax (correct me if I'm wrong please). Not sure what to tell you bro, I'm sure someone else can offer more light on this subject.

From
    Marana, Arizona

i was wondering if there was something that would clean it off..havnt tried anything but sand papaer and thats kind of a chore...was wondering if rubbing alcohol and a q-tip would work or something like it. Im sure someone has run into this cause you really wouldnt want to paint first...then again maybe if i was smarter i wouldve masked the helmet before doing it so it wouldnt get on anything else..HA

edit - tried the rubbing alcohol and q-tip method...works perfect...just be careful if you get in this position that you dont get it on the part you want to keep shiney...cause this apparently is the R&B finish remover...LOL
    Last edited by JDFett; Nov 14, 2007 at 5:38 PM.

Nice job! Don't forget to r n b the keyhole area, it looks like you left it to paint it.

From
    Orlando, Florida

That's a great thing to know about the alcohol/q-tip. I'll have to remember that. Your jet pack looks great as well. Nice clean up.

From
    Marana, Arizona

bigkidbiggertoys said: View Post
    Nice job! Don't forget to r n b the keyhole area, it looks like you left it to paint it.

when i was doing the rnb i wasnt 100% sure if the whole keyhole area was the same...but after taking the shots i found a good back photo..will get those in the am...

i've got a ton of that 1/8" pinstriping stuff. want me to bring it to megafest this weekend, or will you have your suit done by then?

From
    Marana, Arizona

ya i could use some of that...and ya know if i had a couple of the parts im missing...it very well may have been ready...im holding out for cruzers gauntlets and a backplate..LOL

From
    Marana, Arizona

well as good as that might have looked i decided i can do better...so i stripped the whole thing back down and reprimed it today. I then decided to go with painting the blues first. I got the cheeks done this afternoon but had to order the krylon shortcuts ocean blue from an online supplier. so i wont be able to make any more progress on the helmet until that arrives. the ocean blue i had was from american accents and was a tad too dark. almost the same color as the royal blue rustolium i used for the cheeks

back to polishing some armor pieces and finishing the jet pack for now.

From
    Marana, Arizona

Foxbatkllr said: View Post
    Depends on the jet pack (there were several hero packs and stunt packs). On every Kamino pack, the part that borders the rub n buff part of the rocket and the white part is black or dark grey. In some photos however, there is a stripe at the very base of the rocket.
    im thinking i may go with both the dark grey on the bordering part and the black stripe by the base...I like the black stripe there it looks better to me

From
    Marana, Arizona

so while im waiting on paint delivery..i took a break from the helmet and went back into the jet pack...here it is all done..without the weathering obviously. I got the aluminum beacon and stabilizer and also the vinyl decals...

and then this came in today too...

From
    Richmond, VA

That pack looks great! Keep it up!

From
    Irvine, CA

Are you going to accurize the metal ears for Jango?

From
    Richmond, VA

Are you talking about the holes?

From
    Marana, Arizona

actually these things are real nice...they actually fit together and will look just like jangos ears..in the closed position very easily

From
    Irvine, CA

Cool. I wasn't sure if they could be positioned the same way as Jango's.