Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Jango: My First "REAL" Build

From
    North Texas

Re: Jango: My First "REAL" Build

Man that arena pack is different than mine, so mine may be a V2. I bought mine second hand but it is marked MOW 2010. I am really pleased with mine but you have now caused me many questions. The investigation will now begin.

And I know what you mean about Cruzer. I have a CC back and boot armor and holsters, and I am sold on his workmanship.

From
    Newcastle NSW Australia

such an awesome feeling when new jango parts turn up!

you just reminded me, time to purchase a JP!

From
    Long Beach, CA

Mullreel - If your pack is marked "2010," it would probably be safe to say that it is a V2; however, I would be curious to know the differences....because this thing is awesome! Christian (MoW) had this one hanging on his wall. Fortunately, I put out a plea for a "stubby" at the same time he was ready to replace his wall hanging with his newest version. Talk about coincidental luck. And as far as CRUZER's armor, well we both know how great it is. Seriously, I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

On a side note: Each time I see your icon, coupled with the memory of CRUZER's Full Jaster sale he had some few months ago, I am itching to get a hold of another ASOK helmet and do a Jaster. I'll finish Jango first though.

Thanks for looking in on my post!

Jason

From
    North Texas

I don't like posting pics in other peoples threads but a picture is worth a thousand words so......

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You can see the jet nozzles are cast differently and to me the center cone looked just a bit different. Are the diagnol parts on the outer thrusters seperate on yours? or were they just already assembled? As you can see on mine they are seperate and need to be attached. I guess the biggest thing I noted was the area around the exhaust nozzles. As far as I can tell though there is nothing wrong with either cast.

I would be willing to buy another Asok to build up just for the heck of it. I enjoy working on his helmets.

From
    Long Beach, CA

The jet pack came partially assembled, since it was hanging on his wall as a display. He dismantled some of it for shipping purposes. I've really enjoyed working on the helmet as well. Since I'm on the topic of the helmet: I was wondering if anyone could offer a suggestion on how to fix the minimal space left at the install of the key slot area. JB Weld? Primer/Filler with RnB?? Bondo, Primer & RnB??? Heavy weathering???? As always....any help and/or guidance is greatly appreciated.

imag0549-jpgimag0548-jpg

Should they be closer to being flush w/the surface of the helmet? I thought I studied the reference pics pretty well and it appeared to be somewhat sunk in. Let me know. Thanks!

Jason

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Hey obro! Congrats on a great day buddy!

From
    Long Beach, CA

A few updates today. Time and weather (rain) were not on my side today. Mostly, I managed to get out and get some supplies for later this week. Here is what I have picked-up, as well as managed to work on indoors. As always....PLEASE comment/make suggestions.

polished-front-jpgpolished-angle-jpg
    I know I went against suggestions and purchased Mother's as opposed to Maguire's, but I DID use the McDonald's napkins! I think the shine came out pretty well. Thoughts?

helmet-supplies-jpg
    Some of the supplies I picked up to finish the helmet. Padding, weather paints and sponges.

weathering-left-jpgpinstriping-weathering-jpgweathering-right-jpgweathering-rf-jpg
    I've never weathered anything before. I feel like it is a bit heavy. Cool thing about the acrylics is that it can be scraped off easily if there is too much, which I've begun doing in some places. I also managed to pinstripe. Thoughts or suggestions???

westars-jpgwestars-tips-jpg
    Almost finished with the Rubies Westars (orange & white). Gold faucet washers on, as suggested in another post; as well as gold detailing. I picked up some Metallic Aluminum for the grips, only to find it was pretty much the same color already laid down on the blaster. Thought for a moment then decided to lightly "dust" the taped-off grips with some Ocean Blue. I think once I weather these they'll be passable....for a while.

stubby-paints-jpg
    And finally, "Stubby" is just waiting for his turn. I'll hit up Michael's tomorrow to grab some RnB then I'll go back-and-forth between taping & painting him ("Stubs"), and RnB'ing CRUZER's cod and knees.

There you have it. Please give me some suggestions. Anything that has been done correctly is because of the talent that is already here on TDH, and I want to try to take in as much more of it that I can!

Regards,
    Jason

From
    Long Beach, CA

Thoughts on these boots? Price wasn't too bad; just $25 shipped. I kind of view them as a "place holder" for the time being.

boots-jpg

As always....THANKS for any input!

Jason

From
    Murfreesboro, TN

Aggressive tread... check...High arch... check...good area for swoops... check... Bull logo... check... Wait, no

Those do not look too bad at all, and for 25 bucks, you can't beat it. The snap for the armor should cover the logo too. I am looking for a placeholder pair too until I can get my hands on the holy grail.

From
    North Texas

In regards to the weathering. I would just take a dry cloth and rub everything down really well, like you are polishing it. A bit of the "dirt" will come off but it will be very asymetrical. Personally I like the stuff to look dirty. Star Wars is a dirty universe.

From
    Long Beach, CA

Mull - Thanks for the tip on the weathering. Yes...it is a pretty dirty universe. Trout - I was thinking I could use the boots when I do a....wait for it....Jaster BULLreel!! Oh dang; I must be tired. Thanks for the input!!

From
    Long Beach, CA

So a few updates...

I RnB'd CRUZER's Knees and Cod, and was so impressed (Rub-n-Buff ROCKS!) I re-did my other armor pieces, except for the back, shins and boots which will be replaced SOON. I also kept second-guessing my Rubies-moded Westars; soooo... I repainted the grips. Didn't like. Repainted again. Didn't like. Repainted ONE LAST TIME and quickly weathered them to thwart my acute A.D.D / O.C.D. Then, like ripping a band-aid off, I mixed up some more brown & black acrylics. Took a deep breath.....then weathered the armor. On a positive: I think I was consistent, as it appears the Helmet, Armor and Westars have all traveled to the same dirty parts of the galaxy. On a possible negative: It looks like Jango had a long stint on Dagobah, as the weathering might be a tad-bit heavy. Thoughts, comments & input, as always, are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

knees-rnb-jpgweathered-lowers-jpgweathered-no-flash-jpgweathered-westars-helmet-jpgrnb-armor-helmet-jpgweathered-uppers-jpgweathered-westars-jpg

Regards,
    Jason

From
    North Texas

I don't think you have over done the weathering. Here is the real deal and it shows a lot of weathering.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

From
    Long Beach, CA

Quick Update: Started working on "Stubs." Did a bit of sanding then primer; followed by more sanding and primer. As I had mentioned the pack came partially assembled, as it was displayed on Christian's (MoW) wall. I started to tape it of and became completely overwhelmed as to where the lines laid between the Royal Blue, Blue Grey and RnB! YIKES!! So, out of a bit of desperation, I managed to pop off the other pieces that are normally unassembled on a new pack. I think this will make the painting a bit easier. NOT easy, just easiER. I also hit the gauntlets a bit more. I think I'm going to end up replacing the bottom of each gauntlet with a FOR SALE sign, a'la WoF's templates, to give some cleaner lines.

imag0600-jpgimag0604-jpgimag0606-jpgimag0601-jpgimag0603-jpg

By the way, will RnB work over paint? This might determine which I do first, paint or RnB. I've heard both ways from a couple of extremely reputable sources.

Thanks for looking!

Jason

ps: ordered my SHINS and BOACK from CRUZER!!!

I used RnB over primer.

Everything is shaping up nicely...I remember the taping off the jet pack and that was crazy town.

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Looks great obro! The weathering looks perfect..what did you use to blot the armor weathering on with?

Account Deactivated

Dont know if youve done it or not but if you are still unshore about attaching the key slots cheek out how Devilstar did his , its such a good way ive had to go back and redo mine that way ,

From
    Long Beach, CA

Thanks for all of the input! Sandy - Did you PAINT first or RnB?

Dynamic - I used a small sponge that came on a wood stick. I bought it at JoAnn's Fabrics in a two-pack; one small and one large. The small was perfect and you can use a blotting motion as well as a quick, brush motion. To get in the cracks and crevaces I used a Q-tip.

Jinto - I installed the keyslots but I will most definately check out Devilstar's method. Thanks for the info.

I just printed out WoF's Armor Templates so I can utilize the boot armor that originally came as "extra" with my helmet. I've been on a bit of a spending frenzy with Jango items and my wife may end up giving me a severe beat-down if I don't reel myself in!

Thanks again!!

I painted 1st, than taped off and used the RnB

From
    Long Beach, CA

Hey All! Haven't updated in a while due to being sick and work; maybe it's sick of work? Either way...it's been a while. So after some deliberation, and additional spending, I've deceided to take a page out of Mhlayne's build thread and attempt an economically-friendly girth belt. I figure it's not AS VISIBLE as some other pieces, and it's going to be covered by my recently purchased SEEKER AMMO BELT. This along with a recent purchase of CRUZER's BACK and SHINS helped to make the decision of waiting on one of Tlobe's leather girths. So this is what I'm doing (any suggestions would be appreciated)...

I picked up some 1/4" braided nylon/propylene rope (100') at Hope Depot, along with some shelving liner. I cut 21 pieces of 40" rope then burned the ends to keep each piece from unraveling (burn the end then twst with your finger tips. WEAR A THICK GLOVE to keep from burning yourself!). I then cut two pieces of the selving liner measuring 44" x 5.5". This way I can double the thickness and have about a 1/4" in width (or height) to work with, wich can be trimmed when finishes. The rope has been laid out to get an idea of how it will look, which I think for current less than $20, it looks pretty good. Right now it's held in place (temporarily) with duct tape.

imag0633-jpgimag0632-jpgimag0631-jpgimag0634-jpgimag0636-jpgimag0635-jpgimag0637-jpg

Here are the proposed next steps...

1. Glue the shelving liner pieces together with fabric glue
    2. Color the shelving liner with kiwi liquid shoe polish (brown)
    3. Color the rope pieces. This is where I'm not sure what will work. I am going to try all of the following until I get a working result (if anyone KNOWS what will work, please share): Rit Dye, upholstry paint, liquid shoe polish, marker, ...??? I'm concerned about the nylon/propylene actually being able to absorb a color. PLEASE HELP!!!
    4. Glue rope pieces to shelving liner and to each other using fabric glue. I plan on C-clamping each end of the the belt between wood blocks to hold everything in place and drape the belt as it dries.
    5. Punch holes into each end then use a leather lace to close/connect.

How's it sound? This is all in theory so it may fly....or it may fail miserably. Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Regards,
    Jason

From
    Wisconsin

Hey man! Looking good! For the girth belt:
    I used hot glue, but I suppose fabric glue would work good too! And coloring. I put it all together, then colored it. I used wood stain. Like a reddish brown color wood stain. Painted it on, let it dry. Then just recently, I just kind of misted it with a "gloss" valspar brown. Mine was a bit too dark. Now it looks like leather! Definitely drape it while you're gluing. I used a trash can liner.
    Everything sounds great! It should work great. Keep going!

From
    Long Beach, CA

Just a quick update...

I primered, steel-wooled, then RnB'd my boot armor. I think it looks pretty good; RnB never ceases to amaze me!

imag0666-jpgimag0667-jpg

Last week I ordered a set of resin Westars from Arsenal Models. I was "cautioned" by a TDH member before ordering, but the search for adequate blasters is second only to the Kenneth Cole Pit Crews. I have a set of modified Rubies, but I needed something that would actually fit into my holsters. Mind you, these pics are AFTER 3 hours of dremmeling, sanding and a bit of carving with a razor blade. Arsenal Models was FANTASTIC with their communications and their shipping, and the price isn't too bad. With that being said, it's not too bad if you have the skills to do the finishing work. I honed my skills a bit on the helmet, but these are going to take some work. I'm not unhappy with them, but not totally exstatic either. I'll just have to do what I can.

imag0670-jpgimag0671-jpgimag0673-jpgimag0672-jpg

Any suggestions for the pin holes in the grips? As well as the ridges around the muzzle and at the back?? Thanks for any input and assistance. It is GREATLY appreciated!!

Regards,
    Jason

From
    Long Beach, CA

Checked my horoscope today (Aries) and it told me today was a "good day with lots of energy; complete some projects." So, I decided to test it.....and it was true! I managed to bust out my budget girth belt
    Got the 21 cords glued together AND glued to the backing. Once it was set I found some wood stain that I already had and got 3 coats on it. It will probably take a couple more to look more leather-like, but for less than $20, what do you all think???

imag0674-jpgimag0675-jpgimag0676-jpgimag0678-jpgimag0677-jpg

BIG thanks to Mhlayne, whose method I used. I think it will definitely do until I get some leather making experience. Especially since it will be partially covered by one of SEEKER's awesome ammo belts. I will still punch the ends and use leather chord to secure it when wearing.

From
    North Texas

Not bad for a budget girth. I might hit it with some paint for color too. If that is nylon cord it is never going to soak up enough. A nice dark brown and just paint it. You could then wipe it with a dry cloth and probably get some decent weathed appearence too.

I have a nice girth belt but this makes me want to try one just for the fun of it.
    Last edited by Mullreel; Mar 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM.

From
    Long Beach, CA

Mullreel - Thanks for the input. I'll check it in about 24 to 48 hours and see what it looks/feels like; then I might give it a light "dusting" of some brown spray.