Jango Fett glove sources - retail comparison

From
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Hi, here's a comparison of some common retail-available gloves used for Jango Fett costumes.

The brands below are Merona, Fownes Brothers, and Fratelli Orsini. Photographed in different lighting, followed by specs.

Notes
    - length: the gloves in the photos are a mix of sizes. Sure, there's a little variance for sizing, but more important is that first and third brands shown are standard length (called 2-button), and the middle one is long (called 4-button).

- tab thingys: the little tabs at the wrist of some of the gloves in the photos assist in hanging the gloves on store racks and are intended to be removed after purchase (or finally completing one's Jango costume, ahem...)

- availability: My experience has been that sellers' stocks of these gloves can be seasonal, most noticeable in limited of the larger sizes. As all the gloves shown below are womens categories, the larger sizes are thus the ones many guys would wear.

- cost: may depend on seasonality. Amazon Prime membership eliminates U.S. shipping costs on some of the offerings. Anyway, seems to be USD$18-$20 for the Merona, USD$38 or so for the Fownes, and USD$54 for the Fratelli Orsini.

- sizing: There are many sites with simple guides for how to measure your hand for glove sizing. I think I've even seen some info here on TDH, and there are also videos on YouTube. Not guides give you the same results, so I recommend measuring your hand(s) more than once, checking more than one guide to make a decision you're comfortable with. Here are a few links to some guides: Glove Sizing Chart - Leather Gloves Online and Measuring your Hand for Gloves.

Also, some of these gloves are lined. If you can't find your size, a second choice may be to get the next-lowest available and cut the liner material out of them. That will give you a half size or so with the cashmere-lined ones, maybe not so much with the Thinsulate lining. Also, leather will stretch some with use.

Okay, on with the show:

1. Indoor, no flash

Indoor, with flash

Outdoor, sunlight, no flash

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Specs

Brand: Merona
    Outer: Leather
    Inner: Thinsulate
    Color: Teal
    Category: Womens
    Length: standard (2-button)
    Sizes: up to "Large/X Large"
    Notes: "Touch Tech." Touchscreen compatible. Stitch gathered at wrist on the inside face.
    Retailer: Target (store in USA), target.com, or eBay (seller: targetstores). There are also some Merona gloves on Amazon, but I don't see the blue, err, teal ones at time of this post
    Link: n/a at time of this post (seasonal)

Brand: Fownes (Fownes Brothers)
    Outer: lambskin leather
    Inner: cashmere
    Color: Navy Blue
    Category: women's
    Length: long (4-button)
    Sizes: Up to size 9 (XXXL)
    Notes: Comes with a fabric storage bag
    Retailer: amazon.com, sometimes Nordstrom department store (U.S.) and possibly Nordstrom Outlet stores
    Link: Amazon.com: Fownes Women's Cashmere Lined Navy Lambskin Leather Gloves 9/XXXL: Clothing

Brand: Fratelli Orsini
    Inner: cashmere
    Color: Navy
    Sizes: Up to size 9
    Retailer: amazon.com or leatherglovesonline.com
    Link: Amazon.com: Fratelli Orsini Everyday Women's Italian Cashmere Lined Leather Gloves Size 8 1/2 Color Navy: Clothing
    and Women's Italian Cashmere Lined Lambskin Leather Gloves By Fratelli Orsini Everyday | Free USA Shipping at Leather Gloves Online

Bonus:
    Here's one more glove which was not in my photo comparison:

Brand: Fratelli Orsini
    Inner: silk
    Color: Navy
    Sizes: Up to size 8.5
    Notes: Center vent on inner wrist/palm
    Retailer: leatherglovesonline.com
    Link: Women's Italian Cashmere Lined Lambskin Leather Gloves By Fratelli Orsini Everyday | Free USA Shipping at Leather Gloves Online

Thanks for looking, and I hope this is useful to anyone interested.

- Tom / Azrok
    Last edited by Azrok; Feb 27, 2014 at 3:51 PM.

From
    Douglasville, Ga.

Re: Jango Fett glove sources - retail comparison

Thanks Tom! Quite helpful. Been looking but only casually as I wasn't sure about the brands. Wife has a prime account so I'll prolly just snag a set online after I determine my size....

From
    Cape Cod, Mass, U.S.

You deserve a reward.

From
    Roanoke VA

I bought merona XL on ebay through target they had other sizes

From
    North Texas

This is a nice comparison thread. Thanks for posting.

I have always used the Merona gloves. The oldest pair I have doens't have the touchscreen pad on the finger. But the new pairs do. It is nice to be able to answer or use your phone without taking the gloves off.

From
    Frankfurt, Germany

Wow, this is a perfect roundup of the gloves available. Thanks for the work and sharing.

Thanks to Mullreel I own a pair of Merona gloves and I think the outdoor, sunlight photo matches the color best.
    Maybe it's even a bit more greenish in real.

From
    Michigan, USA

Thank you for this! I'll definitely check out the merona gloves now I'd love to be able to use my phone with my gloves. Thanks!

From
    Michigan, USA

hmm...I've been looking for the merona navy gloves and cant seem to find them. I've checked ebay amazon and target...is it just too late in the season to find them?

From
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA

^^That was the case when I searched this week at all the sources I listed for the Merona gloves.

It basically took me two years of Fall/Winter seasons to get all the ones you see in the comparison photos (and additional ones of same brands in other sizes because I wasn't sure about fit) because I started looking too late in the first Fall/Winter. Which reminds me I need to add Nordstrom department stores to the first post as possible source for the Fownes gloves, will do that right after this post.

Also, remember that the Merona ones are Teal, both in 'official color name' and in appearance, though a dark teal when you see them.
    Last edited by Azrok; Feb 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM.

From
    North Texas

StormyFett said: View Post
    hmm...I've been looking for the merona gloves and cant seem to find them. I've checked ebay amazon and target...is it just too late in the season to find them?

They don't usually last long at the stores. I try to buy several pair each year when I see them at Target and then pass them on to other TDH members. But this late in the season I would imagine they are gone.