A while back I had the opportunity to assemble and paint A Jango Fett Jetpack for a fellow 501st member and I thought I’d share some of the progress pics. Some of you may have already seen these on my FaceBook page, for those that didn’t, enjoy…
I’ve been in the replica prop/costume building community for year and years. I’ve worked with several different variations of the Boba/Jango jetpack, some good, some… not so good. This particular Jetpack was cast by Man-of-War studios. The larger components were roto-cast (hollow) and the smaller pieces were solid resin. Over all, the pack was really nice right out of the box and for the price range a great prop. Nice enough that I plan to order one for myself later this year.
I didn’t get any pics of the pack right out of the box. This one shows the pack after I had done all of the basic clean-up/sanding/filler on the mold-seams and primed it with some primer.
This shows the holes I “dremeled” out for the side thrusters.
Vent hole trimmed out of the bottom.
Trimming out the back “hatch”. You can also see the inside of the pack in this photo. Unfortunately there was a lot of webbing on the inside that had to be trimmed out. In addition to this, there were several areas on the casting that were very thin. I fixed this by reinforcing them on the inside with a little bondo and then applied some expanding foam to give it a solid, but lightweight feel.
I built-up a “socket” for the thruster to fit into with bondo and expanding foam. I than glued a rare-earth magnet in the base of the socket and in the end of the thruster. This allows easily attaching the thrusters without opening the back of the pack up. In addition to this, the thrusters can still rotate to your desire.