How do you protect your kit in travel?

From
    Frederick, United States

How do you protect your kit in travel?

Ok Jango's, please share your wisdom.

There are a lot of components to this kit and some are very big (i.e Jet pack). What do you use to carry your kit around and how do you protect it while in transit/ storage? Personally I use one the Stanley Pro Tool Chest (50 gal) because its has a lock, wheels on one end, and a removable tray to carry all of my repair tools. I can fit all of my kit in it with the exception of my helmet. Unfortunately, it seems to be getting banged up pretty good already and given the cost of replacement parts, I would like to extend its life as much as possible.

Here is my box: Stanley 037025H Mobile Tool Chest, Rolling, 50 Gallon

Please share what you use or any suggestions for taking care of your kit while in transit ot storage.

Thank you!

Re: How do you protect your kit in travel?

I use the same box for my Stormtrooper.

Here is a cheaper link. $68 shipped if you have prime.
    Stanley 037025H 50 Gallon Mobile Chest - Amazon.com

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Do you wrap your stuff in foam or bubble wrap while in transport? What I do is wrap the armor in the flightsuit...the JP in foam from like hobbylobby etc...I mean pack it like your shipping it in the mail. Layer the foam so you dont bang it up...I also tote around a little tool box with superglue JB Weld and maybe duct tape on top of tools and such xacto knife is good to have...anything you can think of that might be helpful in a pinch.

From
    North Texas

I use a similar tote that is just slightly bigger. I wrap each part in towels as I layer them in the box.

King Kong Mobile Job Box - Tractor Supply Online Store

I got this one because I can fit everything including the jet pack in the box. I can get the helmet in there if I want but most of the time I carry it.

From
    Frederick, United States

MisterFubar said: View Post
    I use the same box for my Stormtrooper.

Here is a cheaper link. $68 shipped if you have prime.
    Stanley 037025H 50 Gallon Mobile Chest - Amazon.com
    I just linked that picture that I found on the internet. I actually bought two of these at my local Home Depot for $69 each.

I can't really go with a bigger box since the one I have just barely fits in my wifes car with the back seat down and won't fit in mine at all. I guess I should try wrapping them in towels.- Thanks Mullreel

From
    Frederick, United States

So it turns out that my wife is convinced we can fit it all in my box in foam so we bought some foam from our local Joannes fabrics and we are planning to cut out custom slots for each piece tonight. I will try to take some pictures if it turns out good here and repost them here if people are interested in it.

From
    Frederick, United States

So my wife purchased a big sheet of the 2" foam padding and we cut out a section to fit in the bottom, layed the pieces on top, drew around them with a sharpie, then cut 1/2 way through the foam to make nice little fitted pockets for the armor. Here is a shot of the bottom layer of foam that we cut and put in the trunk. It worked out pretty good and the second layer also. I am happy with this solution and would recommend it highly.

60c3b822-87c2-4f21-a8a2-26c58ba2d6d7-1547-000002cd896bf93d_zpsf1f2e1ee-jpg
    Last edited by Vultana; Jun 28, 2013 at 11:22 AM.

From
    North Texas

I have been considering doing that for my tote. The towels work well but I would feel like the parts are more secure in foam like that.

Looks good.

From
    Victoria, British Columbia

Would you do the same thing if traveling on a plane? I know it's far away, but I was already thinking about how I was going to bring my Fett to Celebration VII.

From
    Orlando

DeathProof said: View Post
    Would you do the same thing if traveling on a plane? I know it's far away, but I was already thinking about how I was going to bring my Fett to Celebration VII.
    Your best bet is to pack it up and ship the boxes to the hotel you're staying at a week in advance. Chances are the TSA won't like your costume as much as you do.

The water bag~~~