Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 20, 2013, 1:03 AM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #26

I like your R2 paint stand
    Dec 20, 2013, 8:26 AM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #27

Please make this a sticky...........

This is great work.
    Jan 21, 2014, 7:20 AM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #28

Was curious to know what is the best adhesive to use for this? I've spent the better part of yesterday trying to mount the posts, but nothing I had tried was holding the pieces down....I was trying to attach the two lower-mandible posts. Tried two different types of CA glue, and even Devcon. I'd place the visor on to tighten down to check placement, but the lightest pressure lifted them.
    Jan 21, 2014, 8:50 AM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #29

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    Was curious to know what is the best adhesive to use for this? I've spent the better part of yesterday trying to mount the posts, but nothing I had tried was holding the pieces down....I was trying to attach the two lower-mandible posts. Tried two different types of CA glue, and even Devcon. I'd place the visor on to tighten down to check placement, but the lightest pressure lifted them.
    I've only ever used the CA glue seen in the pic that is 11 pics from the beginning, by Satellite City. It's called "Super T".
    Here's a link to their website...
    http://www.caglue.com/
    Jan 21, 2014, 9:02 AM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #30

Gotta make sure the area is free of any contaminants, and the adhesive has to be allowed to cure. Some CA glues take quite some time to reach full cure if the volume is past a drop.
    I'd recommend JB weld as long as it's used sparingly. Been holding down rare earth magnets on my gauntlets for months.
    Jan 21, 2014, 9:40 AM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #31

Quote Cruzer said: View Post
    I've only ever used the CA glue seen in the pic that is 11 pics from the beginning, by Satellite City. It's called "Super T".
    Here's a link to their website...
    CA Glue from Satellite City Instant Glues- industrial-strength cyanoacrylate since 1970
    I'll try to find this then, I'm not quite sure. I've used CA plenty of times for builds, but man, this was making me want to throw the helmet across the room! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote syllander said: View Post
    Gotta make sure the area is free of any contaminants, and the adhesive has to be allowed to cure. Some CA glues take quite some time to reach full cure if the volume is past a drop.
    I'd recommend JB weld as long as it's used sparingly. Been holding down rare earth magnets on my gauntlets for months.
    This is true. JB weld was my thing for a long time. I did find that it can be pretty brittle though, but if applied right, it holds really well.
    Jan 21, 2014, 12:07 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #32

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    I'll try to find this then, I'm not quite sure. I've used CA plenty of times for builds, but man, this was making me want to throw the helmet across the room! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

This is true. JB weld was my thing for a long time. I did find that it can be pretty brittle though, but if applied right, it holds really well.
    I also use Plastic Weld when I'm adhering aluminum stock to roughed up fiberglass when assembling knees. So you could probably use that if you don't mind the extra work of applying it smoothly.
    Jan 21, 2014, 12:22 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #33

I also use Plastic Weld when I'm adhering aluminum stock to roughed up fiberglass when assembling knees. So you could probably use that if you don't mind the extra work of applying it smoothly.
    That's true. I grinded down the "trenches on the inside for the modified posts to sit, but I'm deathly afraid of going too far with it. One side laid down pretty flush, but the other one may need just a bit more work (realized it was still slightly too high after trying to put the visor in)

I think the other issue is that my visor is not pre-formed. It's almost paper thin, very pliable, etc. I have no issues getting it into the helmet, though, I think the vertical portion, since it's not curved, there is more tension. The plastic itself does not shape very well. I had it sitting in boiling water for over 10 minutes just shot right back into it's original flat shape. I may need to find an actual-pre-formed welder's face shield...
    Jan 21, 2014, 7:03 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #34

Have you tried the visors at T-visor.com? They look really nice and are formed. 3mm thick. Think they were $12 each....I got one but haven't fit it to my helmet yet.

I hear you with epoxies though. Many do not hold up well to shear loads of any kind, but if you let it(JB Weld) sit 24 hrs and it was prepped right, you'd have to use like King Kong pressure to pull them off!
    Jan 22, 2014, 9:47 AM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #35

Have you tried the visors at T-visor.com? They look really nice and are formed. 3mm thick. Think they were $12 each....I got one but haven't fit it to my helmet yet.

I hear you with epoxies though. Many do not hold up well to shear loads of any kind, but if you let it(JB Weld) sit 24 hrs and it was prepped right, you'd have to use like King Kong pressure to pull them off!
    I've seen them before, but IIRC, someone sent me one of theirs with their helmet for the commission, and for some reason, the visor was not large enough and was not nearly wide enough to span the length of the upper visor "squint"

While I did buy two welders visors from Amazon, they come flat, and all attempts to heat it (short of a heat gun, cause I know that will cause bubbling of the surface) failed, as I guess it is intended to take a considerable amount of applied heat to affect it's shape. I did find another supplier for the face shields, and they appear to be already formed in a curve, which I think is what I need to really make this work without putting a lot of stress on the post's connection.

I think I may go ahead with using JB weld. I'm not too concerned if I use that. I can at least move forward with painting the helmet in the mean time. Worse case, I use expoxie or hot glue to hold the visor in, but I really want to make this work....
    Jan 22, 2014, 10:45 AM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #36

**** . I just got two from them and hope I don't have the same problem. One Fettpride lid and one BKBT lid.
    Jan 22, 2014, 12:57 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #37

**** . I just got two from them and hope I don't have the same problem. One Fettpride lid and one BKBT lid.
    They're not bad, but it's just by design. I used this for a Dredd helmet commission I did and it worked great, but for this specifically, the need for it to have an existing curve is necessary, which I didn't factor in or think about...maybe if the plastic was thinner or allowed itself to be reshaped..
    Jan 22, 2014, 4:43 PM - Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #38

You guys do realize there is a really good custom fit visor cut-out and installation tutorial at the top of this thread?? Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be.
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app
    Jan 22, 2014, 5:51 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #39

You guys do realize there is a really good custom fit visor cut-out and installation tutorial at the top of this thread?? Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be.

yep that tutorial is exactly how I have done mine.
    Jan 22, 2014, 5:54 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #40

Of course! Thought I'd get ahead of the curve with one by T-visor though. Using the tee brad nuts as depicted here, just hoped to save some time by buying a visor I knew would be of quality material, rather than ordering a random part or driving around the ATL looking for a decent welder a visor...
    Jan 22, 2014, 7:37 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #41

lol well things don't always go according to plan for me, even if there is an instruction manual...

It's unfortunately part of my nature...
    Feb 4, 2014, 3:25 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #42

Well, I was able to finally do this. I was close to just using epoxy, but decided to try this again. I made the lower mandible trenches a bit deeper too. Used Devcon this time (like plastic weld) and pretty much submerged the brackets (they're not going anywhere!) but did the same thing for the upper mandibles. I didn't add posts for the end tips of the visor as it was holding pretty strong with just the 4 posts. Need to make a minor repair with one post (upper mandible side), but that's just because the threaded bolt is making it difficult for me to screw the bolt down to tighten it, causing the post to twist further...I could hear it crackling at the post's connection to the helmet. Quick fix though

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1079138_10201888746076139_1255777544_n.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	74395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1781390_10201888745996137_1190981694_n.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	74396
    Apr 13, 2014, 6:22 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #43

Can't seem to find brad tee posts like in the pics. All the brad tees I find are nuts with the hole in the middle not the threaded post.....help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Apr 13, 2014, 6:38 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #44

Look at Lowes. They are in the flip top bins in bags, quantity of two per bag. kind of a pain to find, and most employees have no clue what they are. You will not find them in the hanging bag area. Flip top bins that are stacked on other flip top bins.
    Apr 13, 2014, 7:05 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #45

Went to Lowe's tonight, found the brad tee nuts but not the threaded posts. Plus they only had clear visors not smoked ones. Redoing my bucket is proving to have a difficult start. Thanks for the help

Apr 13, 2014, 7:22 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #46

Not sure about threaded posts? The brad tee nuts are threaded, then you need screws of the proper diameter to thread into them, along with the visor and required washers. I've been thru several visors trying to find one I like. Just ordered one from cyberweld. A shade 5 visor, .060 thick and precurved. Had a green one at .040 thick I had cut out, and was ok? with the green, but then I got superglue on it and ruined it. Will now serve as a template for the new one though.
    Apr 13, 2014, 7:31 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #47

Sorry if I am being dumb here. If you are putting the brad tee nut up against the fiberglass how are you getting the visor to flush to the fiberglass as well. Wouldn't there be a gap due to the post?

Apr 13, 2014, 7:39 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #48

The large part of the brad nut needs to be bonded to the inside of the helmet. I would first locate the required holes in the visor, so don't put the horse in front of the cart so to say....
    The lowest brad nuts need to be ground down so you have two large flat spots on them, flush with the threaded portion(so they sit properly in the shallow inside of the visor mount area). Also, recommend grinding a little bit off of the inside of the helmet here, but only for these two. This will help the visor to sit flush. The others mount without grinding on the nut or lid. They are pretty thin so any gap between the visor and tee nut would be negligible as you get closer to the middle to upper area. Hope that helps...
  24. Member Since
    Feb 2014
    May 16, 2014, 4:52 PM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #49

This is awesome, I picked up the nuts at lowes today with no problem, guess I asked the right guy!
    May 18, 2014, 5:40 AM - Re: Cruzer helmet assembly and visor installation #50

Nice helmet