Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Chest, back and cod armor

Migrate from As You Wish

Chest, back and cod armor

Well, it's been awhile since I stopped by here. I figured that I would pass on a bit on information to you guys...I am planning on trying this, but first I need to experiment with casting/molding!
    Just as it says, I have ILM insider info on how the actual armor was created...
    "fiberglass....
    the casting was scratched carefully with
    sandpaper to simulate the spinning marks, then primed and basecoated
    with silver paint (any color will do).
    A material called Rub N' Buff
    (the color is silver leaf)
    was then rubbed over and buffed in, giving it that aluminum
    shine.
    the resin used in casting his parts
    also had aluminum powder in it, which was buffed out and looked
    beautiful."

Migrate from As You Wish

Merged: Re: Insider info on real Jango armor

you got some it right but the spinning marks is related to something else....related to spinning metal into a shape and the spray paint..not the Jango armor.

the Jango armor was a resin with alum powder added to make it a plastic metal. That was shinned up and to add a extra kick to the shine for the camrea Rub-N-Buff silver was buffed on to the surface..

From
    Chicago, IL

Merged: Merged: Jango Vest attachments - Here you go Andy.

<image src=http://www.r2ro.com/images/jangovest27.jpg>

<image src=http://www.r2ro.com/images/jangovest21.jpg>

<image src=http://www.r2ro.com/images/jangovest22.jpg>

<image src=http://www.r2ro.com/images/jangovest23.jpg>

<image src=http://www.r2ro.com/images/jangovest24.jpg>

<image src=http://www.r2ro.com/images/jangovest25.jpg>

<image src=http://www.r2ro.com/images/jangovest26.jpg>

Merged: Merged: Re: Jango Vest attachments - Here you go Andy.

Hey dude,

Is that "Liquid Nails" ?

Fugazi1369

Very well done I'm gonna nut and bolt my aluminum armor to my leather vest...

Neil

From
    Beaverton, Oregon

Seeker- Where do you get those button snappy things?

Thanks,
    Ed

Seeker:
    Looks great!Did you do your armor your self? What is it made of? How did you roll the edges back like that?Again,looks GREAT!
    Ron TK-1889
    You can PM me if you prefer.

From
    Chicago, IL

Fettpride - The stuff is called Probond Polyurethan Glue made by Elmers Co.

Neil - cant wait to see your armor, its your fault I wanted to do Jango armor.

Hojufett - The buttons you could buy at any of those frabric stores. But make sure you get the heavy duty.

Pantera - I bought my armor from a gentleman from the prop board. He was gonna do a Boba Fett, but I turned it into Jango. It appears that he bought different parts from various suppliers. I chest parts are Bradleys i think. They are ABS. I really lucked out on that price.

Thanks again fellas if any one need any other pictures let me know.

Arturo

Yeah, Bradley makes his armor the way it SHOULD be, with edges to it, to make it look like it's got thickness to it, and not like thin pieces of plastic clinging to the body.
    At least that's how Boba's is. Jango's is actually kind of flat looking....go figure.
    I still prefer the thick look rather than the flat look. If you want it flat, at least try to give it a LITTLE thickness. When I made my thigh pieces, I took not one, but 2 sheets of ABS, and ABS glued them together, to make them appear thicker.

JangoFett1701

Thanks for posting the pics Arturo. They were very helpful.

Andy

Purity Knight

who is Bradley and i how can i contact him?

From
    Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Purity Knight wrote:who is Bradley and i how can i contact him?
    Goodluck Purity Knight! This might be a difficult hunt...this man isn't always easy to track down for communication contact. He does EXCELLENT work though!

From
    Chicago, IL

Plus I heard he just had a baby. So there goes atlest 6 months of being busy none stop allday with the little one.

From
    Ft Myers, FL

try www.bradleyfett.com he shows some of his work and there is an email address there....good luck

dan
    oppi

Fugazi1369

Seeker,
    I just finished sanding, weathering, and re-sanding my aluminum chest, shoulder, and cod Armor. I made my own aluminum thigh, shin, toe and knee armor. I still gotta make some knee obxes out of aluminum stock and re-do my Deano knee darts...It isn't screen accurate, but it's lookin' mighty fine I gotta get some pics up after I get back form Ft. Lauderdale...going there over the 4th Yippie!

Neil

From
    Chicago, IL

Punk! now your gonna make me go real aluminum. Plus I need your real aluminum or metal you know what. Just need to make some more overtime at work.

SEEKER wrote:Plus I heard he just had a baby. So there goes atlest 6 months of being busy none stop allday with the little one.

HE HAD A BABY! WOW THAT IS THE MOST AMAZING THING I HAVE EVER HEARD, A MAN HAVING A BABY!

From
    Chicago, IL

New scientific break·through. Didn't you read the cover story in this weeks TIME magazine? Check it out.

JangoFett1701

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

METALBOY

BRILLIANT IDEA with the snap-ons for the chest armor. HI I'M GIL the aluminum helmet dude.I love aluminum as much as you guys my entire armor will be aluminum when finished including the jet pack.I was thinking of attaching my armor some other way but this button idea is just fabulous.

Kylash327

How did you get the buttons on your vest? Did you cut a small slit and just pop them in or what?

From
    Chicago, IL

You could either punch a hole with a nail or something similar or drill the hole in. As long as you make the hole big enough for the snap part to go in. Dont buy the gun tool to do this - you wont have enough space to snap them together. Get the hammer tool option.

From
    Illinois

What would you suggest????--(wanting to make my own armor)

First off, sorry if this has been posted somewhere else. I did a search and saw a few posts on board members speaking about the materials they use when making their own armor but never a compare and contrast in different materials.

I think I've about decided to try and make the majority of the armor myself and have been trying to figure out what I should use. I have the patterns and all bookmarked from sites that have templates for the pieces but materialwise I'm not sure which route to go.

I've seen a few posts on sintra and how that is easy to work with. I've also seen quite a few here say that's what they're using or did use. The Ultimate Boba Fett site also suggests sintra. I'm thinking that might be the route to go but what about sheet metal? I know I've seen a few mention using this as well. Just wondering what some of your thoughts were

JangoFett1701

Re: What would you suggest????--(wanting to make my own armor)

I plan on making my own armor as well. First I made a set of patterns out of foam board and then I will trace them on some plastic sheets I got from my uncle and then cut it out with a jigsaw and then prim and paint them. I was gonna make the armor out of sheet metal but I want to see how this turns out. Later

Andy

Re: What would you suggest????--(wanting to make my own armor)

Sheet metal or metal armor in general is definitely the way to go if you can form it into the correct shape.

Sintra is just much easier to work with and I would imagine much more forgiving than metal. Sintra will bend and hold its shape easier and it probably won't cut you like metal will.

So if you have the time money and tools go for the metal if not sintra is soooooooo much easier and to be honest not too much of a sacrafice. Some good paint and a little weathering and most will believe it is metal.