Subscribe
    Oct 17, 2005, 8:07 AM - Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet? #1

Hello. Ive got a Jango Helmet painted with Acrilyc pintures. Could I use rubf & buff directly?

Thanks!
    Oct 17, 2005, 9:33 AM - Re: Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet? #2

I did a little test piece and it seemed to work ok but I read a post once that the correct way is to put it directly on wet/dry sanded primer.

So my thought is yes but it may not have the same finish quality.
    Oct 17, 2005, 11:18 AM - Re: Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet? #3

Yeah, ideally you want to use RnB on a smooth, primed surface. The smoother the surface is to start out with the better the result will be.
    Oct 17, 2005, 12:06 PM - Re: Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet? #4

Speaking of Rubbing and Buffng......when you guys remove the paint from your buckets do you just sand it? When i work on my car engine i paint the valve cover and the intake manifold and i usually use this Tal Strip to remove the paint and man it just tears it up but its on metal i was curious if anyones heard/used it on helms and the effect?
    Oct 17, 2005, 12:22 PM - Re: Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet? #5

Thanks!
    And wich parts of the armor must be rub n' buffed? Everyone even the gauntlest?

by the way wich one is the right color:
    http://www.allaboutcrafts.co.uk/acat...h__n_Leaf.html
    Silver Leaf?

And how many 15ml tubes would I need to paint all the costume?

Really thanks!
    Oct 17, 2005, 12:56 PM - Re: Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet? #6

I don't know if every bit of armour would be r.n.buffed because as it is a wax maybe it would wear off the thigh pieces because of the holster strap pressing on it ??

I bought the very same one and got the silver leaf.

As to how much to buy I don't know because I only tried a tester bit but from what I saw it goes a long way. At a pure guess I would say 2-3 tubes for the costume but don't quote me on that.

Katua Fett, never heard of that strip stuff sorry. When I repainted mine I simply sanded it down (can't remember what grit I used) and then wet n dry sanded it. Turned out nice and smooth. I have since learned to wet n dry sand the primer too.
    Last edited by Pooper; Oct 17, 2005 at 1:02 PM.
    Oct 17, 2005, 11:53 PM - Re: Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet? #7

..i used one tube rub'n buff "silver leaf" for all my armor pieces. i am very satisfied with it..... its very effective!

in time i am planing to upgrade my jango. new gauntlets....new west/body armor... its just on paper. but i will start soon...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my jango.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	6210  
    Oct 19, 2005, 3:34 AM - Re: Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet? #8

JangoUri, I used R&B on my painted Rubies helmet and armor below and I didn't even have to mask off the blue areas on the helmet. The fact that the silver areas were already painted silver helped, and I would just rub off the R&B when I did get it on the blue areas by accident. I did sand the silver painted areas though with fine grit sandpaper before using R&B.

I wish I would have known you needed R&B cause I could have thrown some in the box with the other stuff. One tube is probably enough to do a couple of costumes. If you need me to get a tube for you let me know. Plus I still owe you that $5 bucks that I can buy it with. I'm also getting ready to head to the local hobbie shop to get the paints for weathering that's recommended here on the threads. I can pick you up some of that as well if you want. Just let me know

You should R&B everything. With applying it correctly and as time goes by the finish will harden and stop rubbing off on other things as much. I applied R&B to all my armor after I had painted it all with Rustoleum Metallic Silver and I think it turned out good because the paint helped to create a smooth surface after fine sanding it to prep for R&B. Plus if the R&B ever rubs off or scratches, you have a silver undercoating of paint to maintain the silver color.
    Cruzer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jango bucket 9-17-05.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	6219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01120.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	6220  
    Last edited by Cruzer; Oct 19, 2005 at 3:43 AM.
    Oct 19, 2005, 8:01 AM - Re: Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet? #9

Oh buddy, that armor and helmet are super nice. Yes, I should have told you I was looking Rub & buff, then you could have included them on the package. (by the way, the package is about arriving, I know is has already passed the customers)

Well, I could be interested. Ill send you an e-mail.

On question, I used a Lacquer for acrylic pintures to all my silver armor pars. Is that
    an disadvantage or it doesnt matter?

Well thanks !