Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet?

Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet?

Hello. Ive got a Jango Helmet painted with Acrilyc pintures. Could I use rubf & buff directly?

Thanks!

From
    The Dark Side Of The Moon, Swansea

Re: Can I use rubf & buff on a painted helmet?

I did a little test piece and it seemed to work ok but I read a post once that the correct way is to put it directly on wet/dry sanded primer.

So my thought is yes but it may not have the same finish quality.

From
    Irvine, CA

Yeah, ideally you want to use RnB on a smooth, primed surface. The smoother the surface is to start out with the better the result will be.

From
    California, US

Speaking of Rubbing and Buffng......when you guys remove the paint from your buckets do you just sand it? When i work on my car engine i paint the valve cover and the intake manifold and i usually use this Tal Strip to remove the paint and man it just tears it up but its on metal i was curious if anyones heard/used it on helms and the effect?

Thanks!
    And wich parts of the armor must be rub n' buffed? Everyone even the gauntlest?

by the way wich one is the right color:
    http://www.allaboutcrafts.co.uk/acat...h__n_Leaf.html
    Silver Leaf?

And how many 15ml tubes would I need to paint all the costume?

Really thanks!

From
    The Dark Side Of The Moon, Swansea

I don't know if every bit of armour would be r.n.buffed because as it is a wax maybe it would wear off the thigh pieces because of the holster strap pressing on it ??

I bought the very same one and got the silver leaf.

As to how much to buy I don't know because I only tried a tester bit but from what I saw it goes a long way. At a pure guess I would say 2-3 tubes for the costume but don't quote me on that.

Katua Fett, never heard of that strip stuff sorry. When I repainted mine I simply sanded it down (can't remember what grit I used) and then wet n dry sanded it. Turned out nice and smooth. I have since learned to wet n dry sand the primer too.
    Last edited by Pooper; Oct 17, 2005 at 1:02 PM.

From
    Germany / Aachen

..i used one tube rub'n buff "silver leaf" for all my armor pieces. i am very satisfied with it..... its very effective!

in time i am planing to upgrade my jango. new gauntlets....new west/body armor... its just on paper. but i will start soon...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my-jango-jpg  

From
    Porterville, California

JangoUri, I used R&B on my painted Rubies helmet and armor below and I didn't even have to mask off the blue areas on the helmet. The fact that the silver areas were already painted silver helped, and I would just rub off the R&B when I did get it on the blue areas by accident. I did sand the silver painted areas though with fine grit sandpaper before using R&B.

I wish I would have known you needed R&B cause I could have thrown some in the box with the other stuff. One tube is probably enough to do a couple of costumes. If you need me to get a tube for you let me know. Plus I still owe you that $5 bucks that I can buy it with. I'm also getting ready to head to the local hobbie shop to get the paints for weathering that's recommended here on the threads. I can pick you up some of that as well if you want. Just let me know

You should R&B everything. With applying it correctly and as time goes by the finish will harden and stop rubbing off on other things as much. I applied R&B to all my armor after I had painted it all with Rustoleum Metallic Silver and I think it turned out good because the paint helped to create a smooth surface after fine sanding it to prep for R&B. Plus if the R&B ever rubs off or scratches, you have a silver undercoating of paint to maintain the silver color.
    Cruzer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jango-bucket-9-17-05-jpg   dsc01120-jpg  
    Last edited by Cruzer; Oct 19, 2005 at 3:43 AM.

Oh buddy, that armor and helmet are super nice. Yes, I should have told you I was looking Rub & buff, then you could have included them on the package. (by the way, the package is about arriving, I know is has already passed the customers)

Well, I could be interested. Ill send you an e-mail.

On question, I used a Lacquer for acrylic pintures to all my silver armor pars. Is that
    an disadvantage or it doesnt matter?

Well thanks !