Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jul 31, 2008, 5:10 PM - BKBT Overhaul #1

Well, in the light of my last work on a member's BKBT, an ominous cloud was casted over my very own, leaving me a feeling of unsatisfaction with the work I did several years ago.

Seeing what I created made me realize that I can really redo my very first prop, and the way I should have done it the first time.

Biggest issue, would be the silver. Over time, and handling, it has worn off, and you can visibly see the primer that was previously hidden.

Next thing, the ear pieces, working on them previously, over sanding the lines and angles, left them soft and rounded. Im going to work on getting some new pieces, but may have to just re-work what I have.

The visor itself is not how I would like it. Honestly, its the next biggest problem I have; it's not flush by any means. Going to fix it this time around.

Overall, Im going to be redoing the entire bucket. Some knicks and markings from my previous lack of experience with a dremel left marks on the surface, which I will now fill with bondo and restore it's original smooth form.

Notice on this one that the RF stalk is not perfectly lined up to where it needs to be in regards to where it meets the resin RF box

All the dark blemishes on the surface you see is where the Rubb and buff actually wore away. Its like this all over the helmet

-TC
    Jul 31, 2008, 7:12 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #2

10 minutes of some diligence, and being careful, helmet is de-constructed. Going to strip off the paint tonight. I MAY need to get a new visor. During one re-paint when I first put it together, I already had the visor installed, however, despite taping it off, the gaps allowed some of the krylon to get through.

3. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Jul 31, 2008, 7:33 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #3

Try using some acetone or rubbing alchohol to get it off. Dont scrap the visor man.
    Jul 31, 2008, 7:41 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #4

Quote 987654321a said: View Post
    Try using some acetone or rubbing alchohol to get it off. Dont scrap the visor man.
    lol thanks I was going to try and rubb it off, rofl, use some windex
  5. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Jul 31, 2008, 8:00 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #5

Haha yea.

There are always solutions for everything. For example lets say you paint over your entire visor in blue. You might think of scrapping the visor but you could sand that visor down gradually using higher grit sandpaper, from 220-2000. Then when you are satisfied with the smoothness from the highest grit you use, just use plastic polish, wait a few days for it to fully cure, and clear coat it. All done.
    Jul 31, 2008, 9:54 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #6

Helmet stripped for the most part of almost all it's paint! Just gotta sand it a bit more, and tomorrow, will add bondo, sand and hopefully primer as well.

Jul 31, 2008, 10:07 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #7

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?!? I CALL BLASPHEME!!

jk cant wait to see it redone
    Jul 31, 2008, 10:17 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #8

Quote BobaFettSlave_1 said: View Post
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?!? I CALL BLASPHEME!!

jk cant wait to see it redone
    lol I cant wait either.

FYI, here is the thread of when I first did it back in 2006

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...bkbt+completed
    Aug 1, 2008, 3:26 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #9

..i have the same problem with my visor. i will replace it. but i am looking forward seeing ur result ;o)
    by the way... would like to buy an accurate visor for a BKBT 2nd RUN Helmet. who else read this, feel free to PM me. thx a lot
    Aug 1, 2008, 3:39 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #10

Quote AdmFrancis said: View Post
    ..i have the same problem with my visor. i will replace it. but i am looking forward seeing ur result ;o)
    by the way... would like to buy an accurate visor for a BKBT 2nd RUN Helmet. who else read this, feel free to PM me. thx a lot
    Well, I get visors from Bobamaker, the best one's IMO. Works well with either boba or Jango
    Aug 1, 2008, 8:05 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #11

I can be the first to attest to the work Chris can do! He did the work on my helmet, And I couldn't think of a better/skilled guy to handle this baby!

But after I just saw that he killed his helmet, I won't let him neatr mine again!
    Aug 1, 2008, 8:54 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #12

Hmmmm...I wouldnt say *killed* it, I'd say...stripping it of it's life and "re-fleshing" it lol

Just finished the sanding, and added primer, as well as some bondo to only a few areas. Had some knicks on the front visor area, as I previously mentioned. There was one nice little gash across one side of the mandible, right were it meet's the cheek, but the primer filled it lol

So, one side, I guess I didnt pay enough attention using the mouse sander, but it sorta sanded down part of the line that seperates the cheek and mandible. I added bondo there in hopes that I can reshape it and get that defined line back.

Oh, and I sanded what I could from the ears, I think the only one I could re-use, is the one large, non-RF side ear, but the other pieces are just too soft, and I'd really like to replace them all.

-TC
    Aug 2, 2008, 3:12 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #13

Gonna look forward to this Chris!
    Great to see 'you' get recognition for your efforts too...

I must invest in a decent Jango lid sometime to boost my helmet fetish!
  14. Aug 2, 2008, 6:16 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #14

Quote Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    ...to boost my helmet fetish!
    Don't you mean Fettish, Gav? lol
    Last edited by MandalorianWarrior87; Aug 2, 2008 at 6:22 AM.
    Aug 2, 2008, 6:23 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #15

Look, whatever you guy's do off the board with your helmet's is your thang, just make sure your using it for protection
    Aug 2, 2008, 7:33 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #16

Quote MandalorianWarrior87 said: View Post
    Don't you mean Fettish, Gav? lol
    Yeah I suppose I do!
    Aug 2, 2008, 7:34 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #17

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    Look, whatever you guy's do off the board with your helmet's is your thang, just make sure your using it for protection
    Ya had to lower the tone didn't ya Chris! :o
    Aug 2, 2008, 7:41 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #18

Quote Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    Ya had to lower the tone didn't ya Chris! :o
  19. Aug 2, 2008, 11:29 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #19

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    lol. Genius.
    Aug 3, 2008, 3:08 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #20

Alright, quick update. I had primered and added bondo the other day, and yesterday, sanded it all down. One small spot where the casting had an airhole, depsite filling/covering with bondo, did not fill

Anways, had a spot on the line where the mandibles and cheek meet, to make that line of seperation, that was flat because I wasnt paying too much with the mouse sander, and accidently made that part flat! But no worries now, for I got the bondo on it, and sculpted it to re-make that physical line. Came out better then I thought :wiggle:

Pics!

Im gonna go back, re-fill that air-hole, sand that, and clean up the keyslots, since now I have files small enough! May possibly begin painting tonight or tomorrow!

-TC
    Aug 5, 2008, 4:34 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #21

So, yesterday, I touched up some more areas with some bondo on the mandibles, which were once visible before I started this. Now, from what I can tell, is that those trouble spots are no longer visible, so it's a good sign. I painted the light blue as well. Just gotta tape off the light blue and paint the cheeks, and clear coat those two colors.

Still in search of some new RF/ear caps for this!

-TC
    Aug 5, 2008, 5:22 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #22

Hmm..I dunno why, but for some reason, despite using the same exact brand of krylone ocean blue, it still cures darker then other times Ive used it, i.e., my last helmet build up. It cured this dark the first time I painted it ever. Oh well then. The royal blue came out very nice and even. Its shiny too lol. Going to give this all a clear coat, and then tape it off to start the silver!

23. Aug 5, 2008, 5:31 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #23

Can't wait to see more. Hopefully get a Jango bucket soon and this will help You gonna use rub ''n' buff?
    Aug 5, 2008, 5:46 PM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #24

Looking awesome Chris, can't wait to see this beauty finished!

G-Fett
    Aug 6, 2008, 1:44 AM - Re: BKBT Overhaul #25

Quote MandalorianWarrior87 said: View Post
    Can't wait to see more. Hopefully get a Jango bucket soon and this will help You gonna use rub ''n' buff?

Yep, going to make sure it's 100x better then the first paint job. SEEKER's vid really helped with that!

Thanks guys!

-TC