Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jun 30, 2008, 10:27 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #26

Quote Cruzer said: View Post
    Just giving you a hard time.
    I'm actually getting ready to start a screen-cast build, and I always hate trying to figure out the perfect way to install a removable visor.
    A removable visor????for cleaning???or storage??
    Just wondering,have not read about that.....I am sure this has been thought off to do but what about on the inside of the face of the helmet mount tabs or a plate for the visor to slide in a stay in place.Maybe use a tab locking system for the visor to snap into place.
    Just brain storming "out loud"
    Jul 1, 2008, 11:53 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #27

There's actually a stickied thread on T-visor mounting right at the top of the page in the helmet section.

It shows a number of mounting methods including the more popular chicago screw style.
    Jul 1, 2008, 8:13 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #28

Very nice Chris, Will be on the look- out for more!!
    Jul 1, 2008, 8:27 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #29

Quote REDBOY3384 said: View Post
    Very nice Chris, Will be on the look- out for more!!
    Gee, I wonder why? When will you be getting your hands on one of these buckets?

*not a momo*
    Jul 7, 2008, 3:35 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #30

Alright, Ive got a set goal, have this done by August, so get ready for a load of progress pics coming your way!
    Jul 7, 2008, 4:18 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #31

Can't wait to see 'em Chris!

G-Fett
    Jul 7, 2008, 11:35 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #32

Okay, well, I had to make an asthetic choice, as well as the fact that I just ran out, so I got gray primer, instead of keeping that fugly white primer Ive been using for some time now. Anyways, I primered the helmet, sanded and now I had just taped it off, painting the ocean blue first. I just painted it now, so I gotta let that dry, and see how it turns out.

I also picked up the rest of the hardware I needed, the screws to hold the RF box to the stalk, and the chicago screw for when I need to put it on the helmet. Ive sanded the ears down, the inner RF cap needs a touch of bondo on the top, but everything else is pretty much ready to be moved on. I got the LEDs and magnets as well. The only other item that I may need to get, is a new roll of 1/8th inch automotive pin-striping. So here's how it was a while ago.

-tubachris
    Jul 7, 2008, 11:51 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #33

SCHWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTT!!!!
    Jul 9, 2008, 1:30 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #34

Alright, I put the last coat of ocean blue on the visor/ear/strip area. Just gotta let that dry, and then I'll tape it off so that I can start with the Royal blue. After thats done, I'll clear coat it, then tape it off again, and start the Rubb&buff. I want to try and get the painting done by this weekend if possible. Perhaps even the pinstriping.
    Jul 9, 2008, 1:52 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #35

hahah... i looked quickly and thought you painted it inverse to normal... blue on the dome, silver on the visor.
  11. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Jul 9, 2008, 2:00 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #36

Quote tk7602 said: View Post
    hahah... i looked quickly and thought you painted it inverse to normal... blue on the dome, silver on the visor.
    -----

More Pics and minus words!
    Jul 9, 2008, 2:11 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #37

Quote KaanE said: View Post
    -----

More Pics and minus words!
    Good things comes to those who wait

Besides, I just went out to check, I had noticed a few globs of paint that collected on the inside, top part of the visor, so I had to file them off and repaint it.

Good thing this krylon paint drys rediculously fast
    Jul 9, 2008, 5:15 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #38

Ok, well I had remembered that I had taped off the mandibles differently for this helmet then when I did mine. Whereas before, when I painted mine, I sprayed the ocean blue on the visor AND the cheeks, so that it would help eliminate not have a perfectly curved/even line the whole way up and down.

Well, I had forgettten about that when taping off this helmet, I had initially made it so the visor area was sprayed, and leaving the cheeks alone. So I took off the masking tape to find that it left an unsmooth paint line which wasn't very appealing. So I taped off the bottom portion of the cheek (where the silver is going to be) lightly sanded the rough curved line, and sprayed the rest of the cheek in the ocean blue, just as I did for mine. So now its all good, just need to tape off the visor area so I can start with the royal blue.

The only downside is that I ran out the ocean blue, so I dont have any real room for error when it comes to painting the rubb&buff!
    Jul 9, 2008, 6:57 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #39

So go out and buy some more ocean blue!!!

Looking good Chris, I'm following this thread step by step for my helmet, So keep up the great work!
    Jul 9, 2008, 7:20 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #40

Quote REDBOY3384 said: View Post
    So go out and buy some more ocean blue!!!

Looking good Chris, I'm following this thread step by step for my helmet, So keep up the great work!
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
    Jul 9, 2008, 7:50 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #41

BTW-I just taped off and sprayed the royal blue onto the cheeks. This has to sit for awhile before I can handle it. But, it should be ready for the rubb and buff by late tonight or tomorrow. Will post pics later tonight of it
    Jul 9, 2008, 11:51 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #42

Okay, here it is as of right now. I just clear coated it.

Jul 10, 2008, 12:41 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #43

Hmm..there was a small flub up. I should have clear coated the ocean blue before taping it off for the royal blue. Its not terrible, but its really annoying me. The only thing is that I need to get more ocean blue to fix it though so I need to order more :usgh:
    Jul 10, 2008, 7:52 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #44

Looking good!
    I'll be painting my helmet soon, this thread is already coming in handy.
    So no trouble fitting the visor?
    Jul 10, 2008, 10:57 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #45

Quote CaptJono said: View Post
    Looking good!
    I'll be painting my helmet soon, this thread is already coming in handy.
    So no trouble fitting the visor?
    Well, im just waiting for the visor to come in. I have a really powerful heat gun, which I *should* be able to really heat up and make the acrylic visor really flexible, enough so that I can really just plop it in there, and work with it, without having to use the heat gun on the inside, which could affect the paint.
    Jul 10, 2008, 3:05 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #46

MOREEEEEEEEEEEEE MOREEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Keep up the good work Chris!
    Jul 10, 2008, 5:29 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #47

Well, after looking at it, the flub up is not too bad, you have to be looking for it,and its relativly hard to notice, especially from a distance. Plus, a little bit of weathering can hide most of it.

I also applied a second coat of clear coat to try and get an even gloss over it. Something I noticed about this can of ocean blue though, is that it appears to be a "brighter" shade then my helmet's blue area. Its not that its not the right color, its just that you can clearly see the two seperate blue tones, where as on mine, its almost matching. The best way to see what I mean, is if you have "star wars bounty hunter," you can clearly see the two tones, and thats what this is looking like right now.

Im going to start the rubb and buff tonight
    Jul 10, 2008, 6:13 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #48

Alright, well here's what I was talking about. In the first pic, you can see with a flash, the two look pretty much exactly the same. But in the second, without flash, you can see a slight variation. I dunno what's up with that. I noticed that the original ocean blue I used on mine has a different look on the can then the one I was able to get for this, but they are still both labled as "krylon short cuts: ocean blue."

Ugh, Im considering redoing the silver on my dome...those white blotches that show up with flash has REALLY bothered me this whole time...Im just afraid of ruining it..
    Jul 12, 2008, 5:33 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #49

Silver is done. Not much else left, just gotta do all the ear stuff and weather it all at the end. I drilled holes ont the top of the stalk and make the countersink for the chicago screw as well

Jul 12, 2008, 6:52 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #50

WOW! Chris it coming along real nice. I can't wait to see your finished product, I wanted to let you know that I'm following this thread step by step, and I only hope my helmet comes out just as nice.

Keep up the great work!