Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jun 16, 2008, 8:07 PM - Another BKBT Helmet! #1

Well, I got asked to put together fresh BKBT helmet kit recently, and just recieved it in the mail! Brings back memories, because this was the same first prop replica I ever put together.

So, as I always do when I handle a second copy or cast, I analyze it. What I like about this casting is that their appears to be a better quality FG resin used. Not sure, but it feels alot heavier then mine, mainly on the dome. But either way, its still a BKBT, and I was able to spot all the signature marks and such on the surface which were on mine when I first saw it.

Anyways, to the helmet. You guys know the drill. Trim everything, clean up the edges, bondo if needed, sand some more, Paint and put together!

hmm..I dont know why the pic is not so sharp....

Well, the only other big thing that I would need to do now, is decide if I want to try and fix the bubble casting using bondo, or repeat the same LED replacement method I did on Darksword's helmet.

But other then that, I just need to hone my rub and buffing skills. Also, the inside seems really even and smooth, so Im confident about being able to make the visor sit relatively flush against it.

More pics of progress to come!

-tubachris
    Jun 16, 2008, 8:24 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #2

Just wanted to add that Im not going to paint before I shape the visor! That was my biggest mistake aside from applying clear coat to the rubb and buff. I had decided to shape the visor, using a hair dryer, sitting on my lap. Not only did I burn areas of which we do not speak of, but the heat affected the blue and ruined it!

There ya go. Now Im getting some cuban food....hmmmmm...cafe con leche..
    Jun 19, 2008, 1:12 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #3

Well, no pics, but I did cut out the visor tonight, so thats ready to be cleaned up. Thats about it!
    Jun 19, 2008, 1:09 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #4

Cant wait for pics! I love progress threads
    Jun 19, 2008, 6:06 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #5

I can't wait to see how this come out!
    Jun 19, 2008, 6:07 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #6

I can't wait to see how this helemt turns out!
    Jun 19, 2008, 10:40 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #7

Its going to turn out pretty well. I just came home from work to find a package with the krylon short cuts "ocean blue" on my doors step. I also found my old tube of rub and buff, so Im set for paints. Just need to get the visor and all the excessories.
    Jun 22, 2008, 10:09 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #8

Im going to start getting more of this helmet worked on this week. I want to try and finish all the necessary trimming and cleaning this week. Maybe even start painting. I still need to order the visor so I can shape it.
    Jun 23, 2008, 6:18 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #9

Well, today, I was able to clean up both sides of the visor (mandibles) and one side, bottom of the upper visor. Im going to need to get some new metal files, as my current ones are worn out!
    Jun 24, 2008, 3:26 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #10

Quote tubachris85x said: View Post
    Just wanted to add that Im not going to paint before I shape the visor! That was my biggest mistake aside from applying clear coat to the rubb and buff.
    no clear coat on the rub'n buff?
    I thought thats was the thing to do...I'm starting on my bucket now so was wondering - clear coat or not?

additional Q: anyone know if there is an eqivalent tamiya modelling spray to the krylon ocean blue and rustoleum royal blue?
    Jun 24, 2008, 9:18 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #11

Quote chansplace said: View Post
    I thought thats was the thing to do...I'm starting on my bucket now so was wondering - clear coat or not?

additional Q: anyone know if there is an eqivalent tamiya modelling spray to the krylon ocean blue and rustoleum royal blue?
    the reason for not using clear coat on the R&B is because it will dull it out, and make it look like a silver spray paint. So, it will lose all of it's metallic sheen. Now, there was a thread I tried searching for, where someone actually found a brand clear coat that did not alter the appearence. What that product was, I dont know.
    Jun 24, 2008, 11:28 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #12

Quote chansplace said: View Post

Definitely no clear coat on the RnB!!!!

As for Tamiya. I haven't used these paints before but based on the color chart I'd probably go with brilliant blue and blue or brilliant blue and racing blue.

Jun 24, 2008, 12:13 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #13

The sealer that was used on the rub-n-buff was a polycrylic sealer. Seeing as it's a wax based product, like rub-n-buff, it shouldn't alter the finish.

Another alternative is future floor wax. Just brush it on as it self levels, so no brush marks. I used it on my chest armor, and the glare in the sun is unreal.
  14. I helped at SDCC '08 Jango 5204's Avatar
    Jun 24, 2008, 12:31 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #14

i used Model Master french blue.
    Jun 25, 2008, 5:20 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #15

thanks for the info!
  16. KaanE is offline KaanE
    Jun 25, 2008, 5:34 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #16

I think that the best light blue of Tamiya is French Blue TS-10.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KaanE; Jul 10, 2008 at 7:59 AM.
    Jun 25, 2008, 8:45 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #17

Less talk...more action pics!
    Jun 25, 2008, 9:10 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #18

lol, sorry. Im going to have to get new metal files to help finish the cleaning. My friend who's actually working on a boba currently has my mouse sander, which I would also like to have...
    Jun 25, 2008, 10:29 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #19

Quote Cruzer said: View Post
    Less talk...more action pics!
    Yeah I'll second that, Enough yapping and more sanding!!
    Jun 25, 2008, 11:07 AM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #20

Quote REDBOY3384 said: View Post
    Yeah I'll second that, Enough yapping and more sanding!!
    Hmm...well I am half-cuban and my mouth speaks louder, so I cant help the 'yapping' part.

-tubachris
    (a.k.a. the "thieving cuban" )
    Jun 25, 2008, 12:06 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #21

Just giving you a hard time.
    I'm actually getting ready to start a screen-cast build, and I always hate trying to figure out the perfect way to install a removable visor.
    Jun 25, 2008, 1:03 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #22

Quote Cruzer said: View Post
    Just giving you a hard time.
    I'm actually getting ready to start a screen-cast build, and I always hate trying to figure out the perfect way to install a removable visor.
    Ha, thats why I dont bother. I just hot glue it in and its good to go
    Jun 25, 2008, 8:01 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #23

Alright, peopleS, I just went and got some metal files, and I picked up a set of small, thin ones as well, so I'll be able to get the keyslots very clean looking...Going to work on that now...cause tallahassee is dead right now..and it cost money to do anything..so yea...
    Jun 25, 2008, 9:37 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #24

I had started working with the new files after I got back, but daylight soon turned to night and my garage's light is pretty weak, so I had to call it quits until next time. However, to satisfy you picture jockies, I have one for you. Dont ask for more, I dont let people get too spoiled with them.

Jun 30, 2008, 9:11 PM - Re: Another BKBT Helmet! #25

OK then, well, I finished the trimming that was necessary. Im happy that this part is over with, especially the keyslots. The smaller metal files really helped out this time. I still gotta place the order for the visor, but I think in the meantime I will get working on the ear caps. Got alot to do with just those pieces, so best to try to get some of that done.