Adding a dent to the helmet

From
    North Texas

Adding a dent to the helmet

So I have this extra Asok Jango helmet that I have been slowly finishing out. My thought now is that I may try to add the dent to this one so that I would have one of each. My plan is to add heat with a heat gun and shape the dent. I have studied the pics in the gallery and the dent is relatively smooth, so I should be able to protect the CC as I shape it.

I figure if I mess up the CC I can always R+B the dome. So anyone on here ever attempt this, or have any suggestions.

Re: Adding a dent to the helmet

I'm not positive, but I don't think that's going to work. Depending on the thickness of the resin and/or the type of resin used, heating it is not going to allow it to bend or alter it's shape. Your best bet may be to grind away the area and re-enforce with bondo or two part epoxy putty.

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

I did that long time ago with a fiberglass helmet. It became non wereable, but really nice:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled-1-jpg  

From
    North Texas

was it non-wearable because of the dent on the inside of the helmet intruding on the head?

That is about the look I was going for.

I have seen heat applied to an Asok helmet (by accident) and the resin was quite pliable. The weather turned out rainy and nasty today, so I am not going to work on this for a few more days, so any other opinions or thougts are quite welcome.
    Last edited by Mullreel; Mar 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM.

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

Mullreel said: View Post
    was it non-wearable because of the dent on the inside of the helmet intruding on the head?
    Because to build the dent I had to add a foam core so I could make the dent shape.

From
    North Texas

KaanE said: View Post
    Because to build the dent I had to add a foam core so I could make the dent shape.

ah got it.

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

Resin becomes pliable when a lot of heat is applied, it's just a plastic, but the CC cover could suffer stress and crack when modified to the dent shape.

From
    North Texas

Thats exactly what I was thinking may happen. I still think I am going to try it out at this point but I want to get all of my ducks in a row before I try so tha I give myself the best chance.

From
    North Texas

Well......I tried this the other night. And the verdict is ...............Yes it can be done, BUT I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who only has one helmet. The heatgun worked great. The resin became pliable and I was able to mold it. Two cracks did form where my fingers pushed a little too much too fast. They are small and I think that I will be able to hide them.

I have been working on finishing this helmet out so that I can try it out at All-con this weekend. I will post picks of the final product. Hopefully I will be able to finish it up tomorrow.

Well, see there...you learn something new everyday. I sure didn't think it would work. Glad to hear it did for you! Post pics!