I'm finally to a point after this weekend where I feel comfortable showing off some of my progress. This thread also allows me to send my thanks and gratitude to the community as a whole, but also specifically to those people who have been helping me put this together -- either directly via their craftsmanship and efforts or indirectly via their replies to my PMs, posts, and by their own tutorials and progress threads.
So, without further ado, I present my Geek Scarecrow (as my wife affectionately dubbed it):
He's presently housed in the garage -- which I have totally trashed with my masking tape, plastic remnants, dirty paper towels, used Dixie cups (great for paint cleaning, J-Weld mixing, Bondo concocting, etc.). I've probably gone through 100 of them and so much more **** it boggles the mind. More pics:
Here's the breakdown at present:
Still got a good bit of work to do. The armor needs a little more weathering and a scratch layer. Need to get my shin tools, boot spikes, and collar/girth studs from Bobamaker and paint those up. Have to make a cape and get my blaster from Hotshot and gloves from GBH (current ****** gloves by Home Depot). And the MOW jet pack (thanks, Christian!) is midway through prep. That's going to take a good chunk of time to finish. And I forgot to throw my Wookiee braids on for some reason....
- Armor: FPv3 - cut, prepped, and painted by me, with thanks to Darthmiller, Spideyfett, and Gbeef for their progress threads and TDH for the reference photos!! This armor is simply fantastic. Thanks to Dean for selling it to me!!!
- Chest and shoulder decals - Lucksy31. Didn't mean to forget you, Scott! Although you can almost assume his decals on any given paint-up, since they're the best!!
- Jumpsuit, Flak vest, Neckseal, pouches, and spats - The lovely Ladysewforus. Thanks, Debbi!! You should not think twice about ordering your soft goods from her. Not only are they excellent, but she is incredible in her communication and committment to satisfaction. It was almost a shame the way I airbrushed it with "Dirt", punched holes in it, rubbed it in real dirt, and otherwise abused it to get it to this state. Trust me, it looks much dirtier in person.
- Gauntlets -- Wickedbeard. Wow. Just....wow. Enough said. Worth every penny and then some. It even came with the LED on the back of the left gauntlet already wired and all three hoses -- that I haven't gotten around to connecting yet. Buy his stuff!!!
- Ammo belt - 99centtaco. Again, just incredible craftsmanship. Dirty bastard had to come out with a new version right after I bought this one that is even better. May save that for Geek Scarecrow v2.
- Chest lights - Fettronics (deluxe version). They're perfect. Not hooked up in the photo since I still need to rig a place to put the battery pack, but trust me -- they look good.
- Helmet - SgtFang v1, painted by me. Bought this unpainted from a TDH member and have put a good bit of work into it. Still need to finish the left cheek, parts of the back, and add an RF. This will be replaced in a couple of months by the FPH that Superjedi will be painting for me (Yay!!!). I can hardly wait to see his progress begin. C'mon, Priority Mail!!!
- Girth belt - Centaur Mohair dyed by me using Whistle8mp's excellent latex and stain method. It looks much more subdued without the flash. The color looks great - Colonial Red Satin latex and "Fruit Punch" water based stain in a proportion I've since forgotten.
- Boots -CA boots, partially weathered using Spideyfett's tutorial. Still need to do a little more on these.
- Knee darts - Serenity. These things rock
- Mannequin by eBay. Will have to pad this thing at some point. He only has a 38 inch chest, and the adjustable arms mean no "flesh" from mid bicep to forearm. Will need to fix that once I'm ready for hinal posing with the EE-3.
But I feel like I'm getting closer now. It's not just a pile of boxes anymore.
Periodic updates to come as I get through the rest of this. And, of course, I hope it will be me instead of some flat chested, tiny waisted, stick armed fiberglass dummy wearing this at Star Wars Fan Days 2 in a couple of months! Hope to see some of you there!!