i've started (well, almost finished really!) working on the metal armor i picked up from here last week. it's made by durasteel, a regular on RPF, and is very nice! i'm quite happy with the purchase.
this is what it looked like out of the box:
the first thing i did was cut out the display slots:
and now the disclaimers... these photos were shot under cheap flourescent lights in my basement, so the colors are all funky. it really doesn't look so canary-like in person!
next i masked off the areas where i wanted the silver to show through and sprayed it all yellow
more masking, then the lighter green layer went down:
the plate on the left is from my current armor.
i'm getting a metal backplate made to finish the set, but in the mean time i'll be keeping the collar and back from my plastic stuff. i'm trying to keep the colors similar so that they will look OK together.
anyway... next came some darker green and some black misting. from there i peeled off the various layers of masking fluid, misted it again, did a light black wash to dull down the paint, and started the fine scratching.
i'm holding back a little on weathering until the decals arrive.
in the pic above, the new stuff is on the left, and the old stuff is on the right.
i strayed from mom-accurate on the codpiece. the weathering is a hybrid of the aosw and mom styles, since the mom suit is dentless.
this is a closeup of the first section that i've spent some time scratching up. i actually liquid masked a bunch of the scuffs on this part, since i wanted to make sure the lighter green showed through ok.
and while they aren't metal, i also finally painted the vac formed knee armor i've had around for months:
the shoulder in the middle is from my existing armor... i used that as a color reference in the basement. since the lighting down there sucks, i wanted to have something that was a "known good" color to compare to.