Okay, as some of you know, I got ahold of the famed 1 off mystery armor. It's 4mm thick heavy gauge aluminum. A special "Thank you" to Graham and Terry, you guys are the best.
After some procrastination and trepidation, I finally decided to "man up" and get started on making this stuff wearable. I first started a couple of weeks ago by bending and reshaping the armor so that the contours were correct and it would sit on a vest properly. I did it, by hand, using a couple of different vices on display at Harbor Freight (Thank you floor people).
Then, yesterday evening, I began masking (toothpaste, Thanks Mike!) and paint on the shoulder bells and I used a dremel and metal cutting disc to cut the display slots in the left chest piece. This morning, I finished laying the final yellow on the shoulders and applied the decal, whilst also getting started on the rest of the armor. At this point, I have laid the yellow undercoat, and am fixing to lay the green on the armor. Once that is done, I will be misting all of the parts with ultra-flat spray and adding the "grease mark" to the shoulder bell.
Shoulders = Testors flat light aircraft grey / Krylon bauhaus gold
Armor = Rust-oleum American Accents summer squash / Testors medium green
Here's my WIP so far... (any criticism is welcomed