Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. Sep 12, 2013, 11:46 AM - Re: WIP: First helmet build, using sheet metal #26

Man, that's looking pretty sweet. How much does it weigh?
    Oct 1, 2013, 9:28 PM - Re: WIP: First helmet build, using sheet metal #27

Man what an awesome job! I hate to see all that work and have one simple mistake. The keyhole needs to be concave, it just needs to be flipped so that it curves into the helmet. Beautiful craftsmanship!
    Oct 3, 2013, 12:16 AM - Re: WIP: First helmet build, using sheet metal #28

I'll pm you my address to send it when you are finished.....
  4. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Oct 9, 2013, 3:37 PM - Re: WIP: First helmet build, using sheet metal #29

Sorry about not responding. Have been pretty busy with other stuff lately.
    The helmet has a good amount of weight to it, probably a bit more than a streetbike helmet. I've yet to make something to hold it in place on my head. I didn't notice the keyhole needing to be concave into the helmet. All good though, I knew it wasn't going to turn out exactly the same. Plus if I did it the other way, it would hit the back of my head and I don't have too much room to play with. Enlarged cranium, lol. Thanks for the comments and critiques, all are much appreciated and motivation for me to work on it again.
  5. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Oct 9, 2013, 3:54 PM - Re: WIP: First helmet build, using sheet metal #30

The material I used was from these metal shelves that I had as scrap. Metal gauge is 18, so it's not terribly heavy, but pretty solid. I have a Hobart 125 rd flux core welder, perfect for the projects I do at home. Other misc tools used were, peanut grinder, 3" disc cutter, dremel (for cutting the keyhole and range finder small cuts), few different body hammers and iron body shaping blocks (don't remember real name) and wire brush wheels to remove stickers and surface rust.
    Working on it was super fun, very time consuming, but worth the experience in fabrication and machismo points for a metal Boba Fett helmet. So far it has impressed one lady, Hoping that it will soon impress the ladies. Haha
    Build on my friends.
    Last edited by SCauntay; Oct 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Found metal gauge
  6. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Mar 28, 2014, 11:54 PM - Re: WIP: First helmet build, using sheet metal #31

Ok, it's been far too long since I worked on this. Was really not satisfied with the paint and the "body work" on it, so I used a wire wheel and brushed off the paint on the dome and re-applied bondo. Ordered some helmet padding, welded a support for the chin.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0707.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	859.9 KB 
ID:	75531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0706.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	75532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0705.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	976.5 KB 
ID:	75533
    Mar 29, 2014, 5:27 AM - Re: WIP: First helmet build, using sheet metal #32

Why did you bondo this thing!? Is the surface not smooth?
  8. Member Since
    Feb 2013
    Mar 29, 2014, 11:20 PM - Re: WIP: First helmet build, using sheet metal #33

The surface wasn't really smooth at all. I did a super rush job on it last year. Bondo, paint and visor were all done in 2 days. Looked decent in pictures, but I wasn't satisfied with it. I'll be taking more time on it this time around.
    Apr 9, 2014, 4:14 PM - Re: WIP: First helmet build, using sheet metal #34

I've always wondered why so few people attempt a sheet metal build! I am planning my first helmet build in sheet metal also. Just in its infancy right now, calculating costs of materials to convince the wife this won't be as costly as my ANH Graflex build. For most of the helmet I am planning on using 3 layers of aluminum sheet metal (one for the lining, one as a spacer so that on the cheek bones i can leave tabs which i plan to fold over and sandwich between the liner and the final layer of aluminum). I will score the areas where metal contacts metal and bond the segments with 3M weld. I havn't figured out how i'm going to pull off the dome yet. I will probably end up going the welding route.
    Apr 10, 2014, 1:25 PM - Re: WIP: First helmet build, using sheet metal #35

This is incredible! I love metal work but i just don't have the tools to do something this detailed. Very nice!
  11. Member Since
    May 2014
    May 26, 2014, 12:24 PM - Re: WIP: First helmet build, using sheet metal #36

Impressive work