Whose handiwork?

From
    Newport News, VA

Whose handiwork?

Hi all,
    Just curious about a bucket I saw somewhere for sale.
    Here's part of the description (emphasis is as it was):
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    [FONT=Arial]New Sculpt. . . resin and fiberglass esb size helmet,this is NOT a recast of someone else's work this is completly new helmet cast and reworked to closely match the empire version. . .[/FONT][FONT=Arial]YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED WITH THIS HELMET THE QUALITY IS ON PAR WITH A BM AND AN MS3. . .[/FONT]

Thoughts? Anyone here the maker?
    If so, and you'd like the pics removed, please let me know and I'll remove them.

From
    Richmond, KY

Re: Whose handiwork?

I dunno...the RF in the 1st pic looks an awful lot like one of Sarge's.

The second pic really looks pretty wonky. Kind of rounded and weird.

From
    Los Angeles, CA

From the color of the resin it looks kinda like a fang. So a fang with the seams sanded and fiber glass on the indside maybe?

From
    Richmond, KY

NikNak_aka said: View Post
    From the color of the resin it looks kinda like a fang. So a fang with the seams sanded and fiber glass on the indside maybe?
    Cheek corners are fixed vs. Sarge's.

Still looks fishy to me.

From
    Newport News, VA

I dunno. . . it's hard to say.
    I'm trying to see those little 'jags' behind the ear panels, and the forehead arrows, but the pics aren't quite big enough to see if there was work done there.
    Parts of the back panels sure look like there was some sanding/putty work done.

From
    Richmond, KY

superjedi said: View Post
    I dunno. . . it's hard to say.
    I'm trying to see those little 'jags' behind the ear panels, and the forehead arrows, but the pics aren't quite big enough to see if there was work done there.
    Parts of the back panels sure look like there was some sanding/putty work done.
    I was also trying to make out the arrows, but if this person knows enough to fix the cheek corners they probably know enough to fix the arrows, too. Dent looks a little sharper, also.

Looks like he's sold quite a few of them.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

It totally looks like a re-worked Fang.
    I saw this on Ebay too.

From
    Missouri

***! I was about to buy that helmet.

I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    From
    Laughlin, NV

It is just a mystery, it looks like Sarges, but that could just be the Resin the guy used.

But that is not up to par with BM and MS, that dent is not crisp enough, and not to mention the details are lacking.

From
    Corbin, Ky

Looks alot like a reworked SkyGunbro. The interior glassing looks like his. as well as the gel coat color.

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks for the input. No surprise to me, as I never thought it was an original sculpt.
    I knew if there was a new bucket out there, it would have showed up here first. Shame the guy is touting it as original work.

From
    michigan

Funny thing is, right b4 i found TDH i was looking at an auction on ebay for a DP and at the bottom of the listing it said " i also have another helmet 4 sale, , email me for price and pics" and i got he price and a statment that its a recast in fiberglass.... and i swear those r almost the same exact pics as ur showing
    Last edited by Jluck; Jul 7, 2007 at 12:13 PM.

From
    Omaha, NE

I actually have one of these helmets. I haven't painted it or anything. The mold is passable but requires a lot of work to make it look good. (ie sanding/filling whatnot, the extra resin pieces like the rangefinder, etc also require a LOT of cleanup) I don't know if it is recast off of someone else's work because I haven't seen many of the other helmets. But my opinion is, it's not bad as a "first helmet" as I haven't never painted one before, so the price is quite nice as far as I can tell. (I plan to get a Bobamaker helm down the road) My only worry is after cutting out the visor, the inside edge of the mandibles varies pretty drastically in thickness. So I'm waiting to see if the Bobamaker visor I ordered will fit easily, or if it will take more work to make it fit correctly.

Verdict: Certainly not the best helmet out there, but you get what you pay for, and if this is going to be your first ever, (and you want to save a few bucks) I would recommend it.

From
    Huntsville, ON, Canada

yeah, i've seen those pics all over ebay for a while now